Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mount Rushmore of Detroit Lions: The Four Greatest Lions Players of All-Time

Night Train Lane was great, but the Lions had him for the second half of his career. One of the greatest middle linebackers all time is Joe Schmidt and he belongs on this Mount Rushmore. Also, with a long history, you could have 3/4/5 Lions Mount Rushmores for all the great players.
I don't think there is another team that has as many Safeties and Cornerbacks in the NFL Hall of Fame.

I think they got two right. As much as I love CJ I would have went elsewhere. Though it's not a bad choice. Definitely take Lane out. Biased but I might have chosen Bubba Baker.. His first 3 seasons were so dominate.. Maybe Lem Barney.

The one reason I wouldn't pick CJ is the fact if Moore played at this time I think he does as well himself. They throw more, you basically can't touch a WR anymore.. Just easier.

I picked CJ because he made catches I have never seen made. Other WR's would watch him in awe at what he could do.

I picked CJ because he made catches I have never seen made. Other WR's would watch him in awe at what he could do.

Best hands I ever saw, Herman Moore. You could go with either one which is why I'd go elsewhere.

I've never once looked up Bobby Layne's stats. Obviously a completely different era but...his stats with the Lions...49% completion percentage, 118 TD passes, 142 int's.

Playoffs with the Lions 3-1 record (4 games), 47 % completion percentage, 1 TD, 12 int's (on 97 attempts).

Dude's a hall of famer.

I've never once looked up Bobby Layne's stats. Obviously a completely different era but...his stats with the Lions...49% completion percentage, 118 TD passes, 142 int's.

Playoffs with the Lions 3-1 record (4 games), 47 % completion percentage, 1 TD, 12 int's (on 97 attempts).

Dude's a hall of famer.

Go look up Bradshaw stats or Lynn Swann (never got to 900 yards in a season) and Swann is awesome. Just different games back then..

While all your reasons are quite valid, I'm a huge Night Train mark. He's on my Rushmore for sure.

If I had to narrow it down I would go Sanders, Layne, Barney & ?. I could narrow it down to about 40. In case anyone is wondering End Zone Dan just misses the cut.

If Billy Sims hadn't wrecked his knee in '84, then he might have played in enough seasons as an elite RB to make the HoF. Sanders was the best open field RB for the Lions, but I would take Sims over Sanders from <10 yards out in the RZ.

If Billy Sims hadn't wrecked his knee in '84, then he might have played in enough seasons as an elite RB to make the HoF. Sanders was the best open field RB for the Lions, but I would take Sims over Sanders from <10 yards out in the RZ.

Um........no. Just, no.

All due respect to Billy Sims.....but Barry was better from every single yard marker on the field.

Strong consideration for Robert Porcher to be on that mountain IMO...

We have two definites IMO....Barry and Schmidt. After that.....CJ is a strong 3. After that.....a LOT of good candidates.

Porcher
Herman Moore
Alex Karras
Dick LeBeau
Night Train
Lem
Lomas
Kevin Glover
Spielman
Stafford

Not sure if it's a good or bad thing to have that many options

We have two definites IMO....Barry and Schmidt. After that.....CJ is a strong 3. After that.....a LOT of good candidates.

Porcher
Herman Moore
Alex Karras
Dick LeBeau
Night Train
Lem
Lomas
Kevin Glover
Spielman
Stafford

Not sure if it's a good or bad thing to have that many options

How can it be a bad thing?

I can see how it's spun as a bad thing. When you have a lot of "good" options but no truly "great ones." I think most organizations could pick 3-4 in a pretty quick hurry.

That's pretty much the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard lol.

That's pretty much the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard lol.

Why's that? When we are trying to craft a Mount Rushmore, it's damn near impossible to pick 4 Lions because there are 2 elite, 1 really great, and then a bunch of solid options.

Mine are Barney, Sanders, Schmidt , probably Sanders or Calvin.

Honorable mention
All other 1950 Lions players who are 3-1 in NFL Title games is enough for me. I mean in 1957 they were down 24-7 to the 49ers at half, and after a 70 yard run early third it was 27-7. But these Lions were the Lions of the 1950's!!! Watching the 49ers player throw his helmet on the ground is classic.

https://youtu.be/BHU5SNcg5XQ

Last edited:
Back