Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Veterans Buried by Toronto Maple Leafs

Polish-Hammer

Chris Chelios recently claimed veteran players didn't want to sign with Detroit because of Mike Babcock.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/03...ngs-might-lure-free-agents-now-that-hes-gone/

Lets take a look how veteran players are being treated in Toronto;

Eric Fehr - 1GP since traded to Toronto at deadline

Joffrey Lupul - officially on LTIR due to sports hernia surgery he had last season. I think Leafs will bury him on LTIR until end of his contract.

Brooks Laich - 0GP with Toronto all season. Currently in AHL

Milan Michalek - Traded to Toronto last season during the Phaneuf trade with Ottawa. Had 6 points in 13 games in 2015-16 with Toronto. He had 2 points in 5 games this season before he was demoted to AHL.

Stephane Robidas - Sat out 2015-16 and all of 2016-17, is apparently a consultant with Toronto while still being under contract as a player until end of the season.

The most notable case in Detroit was Mike Commodore. Before signing with Detroit in 2011-12 he had issues with Babcock stemming from their time in Anaheim. Holland had assured Commodore he would be treated fairly before being a healthy scratch most season before a trade to Tampa Bay. Commodore average 11:30 minutes a night in Detroit, the previous 3 seasons he averaged 20:56 per game.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/n...-profanity-filled-twitter-rant-013915124.html

I probably agree with the artilce that Mike was a dick and probably should have had more then 1 cup with us but he will just counter with at least I made the playoffs or something like that .

Last edited:
Looks like I missed one.

Colin Greening - Has 15 points in 30 games with Toronto last season. Played 1 in Ottawa without recording a single point. Greening came over with Michalek during the Phaneuf trade. Spent the entire 2016-17 season in the minors.

Toronto still has not made the playoffs. They need 1 more win with 2 games to try.

Toronto 93 points with 2 games remaining
Tampa Bay 92 points with 1 game remaining

Toronto has Pittsburgh and Columbus this weekend.
Tampa has Buffalo left.

Toronto does have the tie breaker of Regulation/OT wins. 38v37

2 loses for Toronto and a win for Tampa is enough for the Leafs to lose the playoff spot.

I seriously don't have a violin small enough to play for the poor vets who "did not want to play for Mike Babcock" because he "was a tough guy to play for" and because "he did not like a lot of people." Chelios played for Babcock from ages FORTY FOUR TO FORTY SEVEN. Did he expect 25:00 TOI a night?

Hahahaha, given his track record that is a likelihood.

Lupul reportedly apologized and won't seen second medical opinion. Odds are someone (Shanny, or Lou) sat down with him, told him they would dump him in minors where he would make less money and have to ride the bus. Seems that would be enough for him to shut his mouth and collect his money.

http://www.tsn.ca/lupul-apologizes-says-he-will-not-be-seeking-second-opinion-1.862262

Too bad Zetterberg made a gaff claiming he won't expect to play the final 2 years of his deal where he gets paid a million each. Otherwise he would be prime candidate to join Hossa on dubious career ending injury/disease to circumvent the cap.

Back