Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

*Official UM Hoops Thread*

Michigan took care of IU, 69-55

Next game is Monday 12/4/17 6:30 PM EST

vs OSU in Columbus...

I finally watched all of the IU game

Livers, Poole, and Brooks are all going to be players. Can't wait.

Matthews is good, obviously.

This team will be good, it's only "when" and not "if"

Well, obviously the OSU game didn't turn out the way any of us wanted. We are all left scratching our heads at the decisions of JB again. Why did he play Robinson so much? Why not sub Poole in for Robinson? Is Poole only to go in for Matthews? Can Poole and Matthews play at the same time? What about Livers? Why did Simpson get so much PT when we all think Brooks should be the guy? SO many questions.

JB does nothing to alleviate any of these questions in this article

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...e-not-offense-why-people-dont-play/108396690/

Points right to defense, yet he sticks with Robinson. I just don't get it...

Anyway, on to the next game

Saturday at Noon EST in Ann Arbor against UCLA. UCLA just had Ball quit the team and the other 2 from the China shoplifting incident are still suspended. Should be an interesting Match-up. A win would do a lot for this team

The game is on CBS.

Well, obviously the OSU game didn't turn out the way any of us wanted. We are all left scratching our heads at the decisions of JB again. Why did he play Robinson so much? Why not sub Poole in for Robinson? Is Poole only to go in for Matthews? Can Poole and Matthews play at the same time? What about Livers? Why did Simpson get so much PT when we all think Brooks should be the guy? SO many questions.

JB does nothing to alleviate any of these questions in this article

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...e-not-offense-why-people-dont-play/108396690/

Points right to defense, yet he sticks with Robinson. I just don't get it...

Anyway, on to the next game

Saturday at Noon EST in Ann Arbor against UCLA. UCLA just had Ball quit the team and the other 2 from the China shoplifting incident are still suspended. Should be an interesting Match-up. A win would do a lot for this team

The game is on CBS.

Robinson is one of the worst defenders in the history of basketball. He doesn't make up for it on the offensive end either.

I said it after the first or second game of the year. Why this guy still starts on this team is mind boggling.

will-ferrell.jpg

Watched the UCLA game. Livers and Poole got a lot of PT, so I'm happy with that. Brooks and Simpson are sharing the minutes at PG. It seems Simmons is a nonfactor at this point. Brooks and SImpson both bring a little different things to the position and will probably share it going forward. Both made key plays at the end of the game against UCLA to seal the deal. Simpson made a couple of steals, going coast to coast with one and then Brooks drew a foul on a drive, went to the ft line, and tied it up with 2 free throws.

Michigan came back from down 15 at the 14:45 mark to tie the game with 10 seconds left. Michigan defended against UCLA the last 10 seconds and then took over in the OT session. Michigan missed a ton of FT's, otherwise they might've won that game comfortably, as strange as that sounds.

Next game is Tuesday 12/12/17 at 9PM EST on ESPN 2 at Texas

I have no idea how good Texas is. It sounds like it will be a tough road game.

Watched the UCLA game. Livers and Poole got a lot of PT, so I'm happy with that. Brooks and Simpson are sharing the minutes at PG. It seems Simmons is a nonfactor at this point. Brooks and SImpson both bring a little different things to the position and will probably share it going forward. Both made key plays at the end of the game against UCLA to seal the deal. Simpson made a couple of steals, going coast to coast with one and then Brooks drew a foul on a drive, went to the ft line, and tied it up with 2 free throws.

Michigan came back from down 15 at the 14:45 mark to tie the game with 10 seconds left. Michigan defended against UCLA the last 10 seconds and then took over in the OT session. Michigan missed a ton of FT's, otherwise they might've won that game comfortably, as strange as that sounds.

Next game is Tuesday 12/12/17 at 9PM EST on ESPN 2 at Texas

I have no idea how good Texas is. It sounds like it will be a tough road game.

Texas is 6-2 . The have the ex Vcu coach .

Good game last night. Team needed a resume win or two from noncon.. now have a 3 game break for Moe to heal before big ten play.

Well, I finally watched the Texas game last night. The schedule has not been kind to me for catching these games live.

Man! This team played pretty good. I know Texas was without one of it's star players, but the Michigan team looked improved. MAAR coming out of his funk is important. If they could just get Duncan to come out of his...woah! He'd still be a liability on D.

Speaking of D, they look a lot better than last year and that is saying something. They still need to work on the O to be as good as last year, but the D is much improved.

The rebounding was nice to see, as well.

Next game:

Saturday 12/16/17 at Noon EST on ESPNu

They are playing UDM at Little Ceasar's Arena and Michigan is a big favorite.

Moe is favoring a sprained ankle, but Michigan might not need him

Go blue!

Last edited:
Well, Michigan beat UDM easily at the Little Caesar's Arena

Next game is tonight 12/21/17 at 9pm EST on ESPNu

it is against the 0-11 Alabama A&M Bulldogs

Just a silly game to play. Absolutely nothing to gain from this game and the RPI and KENPOM will probably drop.

Actually we do gain. Mo can sit another game and heal. We can also get #0 some playing time. I have no idea who he is, but he is pretty bad at the game of basketball.

Actually we do gain. Mo can sit another game and heal. We can also get #0 some playing time. I have no idea who he is, but he is pretty bad at the game of basketball.

They'd probably be better off playing the scout team. #0 could get plenty of playing time and Mo could sit.

Well, Michigan beat perhaps the worst team in D1, ALabama A&M by 50. Yippee

Next game

Saturday 12/30/17 at 6pm EST on BTN

They play Jacksonville St...perhaps the 2nd worst team in d1...just about

should be a barn burner

Well, Michigan beat Jacksonville St by 25 points in a game that they reportedly looked like crap in. I didn't watch. It's still on my dvr. I don't know if I will bother.

Tonight, Michigan resumes B1G play. That sounds odd, but is true, since they are already 1-1 in the B1G thanks to the dumb scheduling of Delaney...

Michigan will play @Iowa tonight (1/2/18) at 7PM EST on ESPN2

Iowa is 9-6 (0-2)

They lost at home to a crappy PSU team and lost by double digits at IU. Looking over their schedule, it doesn't look like they've beaten anyone that is good. ESPN says MIchigan has a 52.2% chance of winning the game. I have no idea where they come up with that shit. Michigan is favored by 2.5

Both teams have won their last 5 games

I don't know what to expect. I'd love to say that Michigan will come out and beat this seemingly weak Iowa team easily, but I doubt that will happen. IF Michigan wins, I will guess that it will be frustratingly close...as the point spread seems to indicate.

Last edited:
Just saw this tidbit

The Wolverines haven't won in Iowa since Feb of 2011

great!!

Michigan won easily at Iowa. That is a strange thing to say. I watched the full game later and Michigan played great. Michigan improves to 13-3 (2-1)

Next up is tomorrow, Saturday, 1/6/18 Noon EST at Crisler Arena

Michigan Vs Illinois

Illinois is 10-6 and 0-3 in Big 10 play

kenpom has them at 89, for what that is worth

Michigan is favored by 9.5

I'm expecting an easy Michigan win. It's on at noon, so I won't be able to watch in realtime. Got the DVR set. I'm finding it is a better way to watch anyway. I see who won and then I can detach myself from the game or delete it.

OH right. There's a game tonight

Last game, Michigan beat Illinois in AA. It was sloppy for a while and UI went up by 9. Michigan came all the way back and won by 10. Livers and Poole both played well.

Next game is tonight, 1/9/18, at 9pm EST in AA. Michigan plays Purdue. Purdue is favored by 2. Michigan basketball continues to play games that don't fit my schedule, so I won't be watching again.

Go blue!

John Beilein said he'll consider starting Isaiah Livers tomorrow against Michigan State. Adds that Duncan Robinson had a "sensational" practice yesterday, but Livers starting is a possibility.

Doesn't really sound like he'll start tomorrow, but it appears Livers will be in the starting lineup soon. Provided he keeps playing well of course.

Back