Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jim Caldwell?s extension gives guarantee through 2018 now signs w/ dolphins

He's gotta lose his job if the Lions miss the playoffs, right?.......right?

giphy.gif

He's gotta lose his job if the Lions miss the playoffs, right?.......right?

giphy.gif

He should but probably won't. We ended up with an easy schedule and still didn't even come close to winning the division...probably won't even finish in 2nd place...a division where everyone else has been forced to use backup QB's for most of their seasons. On top of that, our team has fallen behind by double digits to start each of the last 4 games. He should be fired. He deserves to be fired. But it's the Lions, so good luck on our season next year Coach Caldwell!

So the talk of 2018 will be how we need to give time for the new coach to put his stamp on the team..so right now we are hoping playoffs in 2019... Wonderful.

He should but probably won't. We ended up with an easy schedule and still didn't even come close to winning the division...probably won't even finish in 2nd place...a division where everyone else has been forced to use backup QB's for most of their seasons. On top of that, our team has fallen behind by double digits to start each of the last 4 games. He should be fired. He deserves to be fired. But it's the Lions, so good luck on our season next year Coach Caldwell!

Not sure our schedule was easy. In fact.....I'd say it's been fairly tough.

And yes, Caldwell should lose his job if they don't WIN a playoff game.

Last edited:
So the talk of 2018 will be how we need to give time for the new coach to put his stamp on the team..so right now we are hoping playoffs in 2019... Wonderful.

Not sure how you got that.....this is the NFL not college. Teams, especially teams with good QB's in place, can win now. Look at the rams.....really good football team.

Quinn needs to have a big off season, but if the next hire clicks.....this team has the talent to "win now".

I think it has been average. Some tough games, and some very easy games. They won most of the easy one, and lost most of the tough ones. Therefore we are 6 and 6.

Not sure how you got that.....this is the NFL not college. Teams, especially teams with good QB's in place, can win now. Look at the rams.....really good football team.

Quinn needs to have a big off season, but if the next hire clicks.....this team has the talent to "win now".

Not just the Rams also NO, Philly, Minny, Jaguars etc.

More of a comment on the inconsistent talent of this team. Slay seems to be our only consistent good player. Well and Prater for the most part.

I just don't think we are a coach away from being a good team.

There is always excuses why this team can't get it done. Guessing new coach would give the built in excuse.

Eventually players need to be accountable.

Not just the Rams also NO, Philly, Minny, Jaguars etc.

I think those teams all have very good to great defenses. That is where we are missing the elite talent. Our top DE has 6.5 sacks through 12 games. Tahir Whitehead is our best LB. Let that sink in. Our secondary is very good.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that Caldwell needs to be fired. A motivational coach is needed in the mold of Schottenheimer or Cowher. Someone who lets the team know what time the game starts.

Last edited:
Obviously a coaching change isn't a fix-all, but I struggle to find a reason for why they'd keep Caldwell.

To borrow a baseball metric, what does Jim Caldwell provide above a replacement level head coach? Probably difficult to define such a term in this case, but basically what advantage does he give over most coaches in the league?

Similarly, what do they risk by firing Caldwell? I would expect a short period of instability and adjustments, but do they risk anything more?

What is there to gain by keeping Caldwell after a failed season? Is the stability and cohesion enough to provide more success over any new head coach?

I know that most of these are probably impossible for anyone not inside the organization to answer, just thinking out loud.

Ultimately, I wouldn't be surprised if the decision is less about lack of success and more about the state of the locker room. If he's losing the team, then he has to go. If he's a respected leader, the decision won't be as easy.

Honestly, I think Caldwell should lose his job if they drop this game.

Unless they started Rudock I completely agree. Tampa Bay is straight trash. You can be a whiny baby and blame injuries all you want but this is the kind of game you overcome them and beat the inferior competition.

You could classify 6 of our games this season as tough games. That's it, 6 out of 16. And we got to face Minny, Carolina, Atlanta and Pitt at home. Just Minny and NO on the road. Baltimore is the only other respectable team left on that schedule. The rest was shit.

Last edited:
9 men on defense. Nuff said. Coaching is a major issue. Not the only issue but it's hard to win w/ a coach that can't even make sure there's enough players on the field.

Back