Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Newt Calls Child Labor Laws Stupid

Sweeping floors for a few hours a week is not exactly the same as working 16 hours a day in a textile mill. Heaven forbid that a kid be given the opportunity to get mentored and earn a few dollars honestly. No wonder the entitlement crowd is all aghast at the notion. It threatens to diminish the rolls of individuals who are dependent on it and that keep it in power.

Case in point: The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees launched a web campaign against Gingrich, asking visitors to sign a petition calling the idea "nuts, vicious, and wrong."

Now there's some thought-out language.

You think making a kid sweep floors is mentoring him?

LOL

MI_Thumb said:

LOL

Making? Who said it was compulsory? To answer the question: taking responsibility for completing a task and getting paid for that is a value that you obviously cannot comprehend, but Newt has faith in even the poorer youth of American that it can.

smayschmouthfootball said:
MI_Thumb said:

LOL

Making? Who said it was compulsory? To answer the question: taking responsibility for completing a task and getting paid for that is a value that you obviously cannot comprehend, but Newt has faith in even the poorer youth of American that it can.

I can comprehend the concept of completing a task and getting paid for it.

What I can't comprehend is how some asswipes think that by having a kid do the work benefits the kid (who likely works for a pittance, sweatshops anyone?) in a mentoring definition.

But I bet there are thousands of kids out there dying to learn the proper way to work a mop, squeegee windows, and use a floor buffer.

Right up there with play in the NBA and becoming an Astronaut.

MI_Thumb said:

What I can't comprehend is how some asswipes think that by having a kid do the work benefits the kid (who likely works for a pittance, sweatshops anyone?) in a mentoring definition.

But I bet there are thousands of kids out there dying to learn the proper way to work a mop, squeegee windows, and use a floor buffer.

You clearly, by your response, are ignorant of the benefits that can result from a kid working a so-called menial job.

MI_Thumb said:

You clearly, by your response, are ignorant of the benefits that can result from a kid working a so-called menial job.

1971 called Archie...you're needed back quick , some blacks just moved into the neighborhood.

....sigh.

It's not about letting a kid work and be responsible. Letting kids work opens up employers to paying them like slaves. How many adults do you think get fired in favor of younger kids that work part time (can not get benefits, paid minimum wage)?

If a kid wants to work, let them do it the old fashioned way. Lawn mowing, babysitting, lemonade stand, collecting cans, chores, etc.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]....sigh.

It's not about letting a kid work and be responsible. Letting kids work opens up employers to paying them like slaves. How many adults do you think get fired in favor of younger kids that work part time (can not get benefits, paid minimum wage)?

If a kid wants to work, let them do it the old fashioned way. Lawn mowing, babysitting, lemonade stand, collecting cans, chores, etc.

some jobs are minimum wage jobs....certainly not something people can live on...most unemployed people wont take the jobs anyways( I know I have two worthless nephews) they will take the unemployment and find cash jobs..

tsmith7559 said:
[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]....sigh.

some jobs are minimum wage jobs....certainly not something people can live on...most unemployed people wont take the jobs anyways( I know I have two worthless nephews) they will take the unemployment and find cash jobs..

maybe they won't, but college kids take those jobs. HS grads that don't go to college take those jobs until they find something better. People that are trying to turn their lives around also take those jobs. Why open up the jobs to kids that don't need to work?

You want to keep making excuses and laying obstacles in the path of someone willing to exchange value for value at an early age, go right ahead. Hopefully those very kids will not be deterred by your "encouragement."

this is an example why unions are still needed lol. As much as i think they do their part in keeping too many unskilled and unworthy employees in their positions....If it was up to the republicans everyone would be in minimum wage jobs to max out revenues and dividends for the "job creators" and shareholders and shit on the rest of the country. And once there are too many janitors making minimum wage then they have to get rid of minimum wage jobs and hire kids to sweep the floor during detention cause your numbers always have to be THAT much better than last year cause you have to show growth EVERY single year even when were in an economic downturn or else people wont buy shares.

mhughes0021 said:
this is an example why unions are still needed lol. As much as i think they do their part in keeping too many unskilled and unworthy employees in their positions....If it was up to the republicans everyone would be in minimum wage jobs to max out revenues and dividends for the "job creators" and shareholders and shit on the rest of the country. And once there are too many janitors making minimum wage then they have to get rid of minimum wage jobs and hire kids to sweep the floor during detention cause your numbers always have to be THAT much better than last year cause you have to show growth EVERY single year even when were in an economic downturn or else people wont buy shares.

dude, you watch too much of Ed Schultz....talk about soaking up rhetoric(your Bachman post) your the poster child for MSDNC...

tsmith7559 said:
mhughes0021 said:

dude, you watch too much of Ed Schultz....talk about soaking up rhetoric(your Bachman post) your the poster child for MSDNC...

never seen ed schultz but he sounds like a smart man. You may hate to read it...but everything i said was true when it comes to companies today and their shareholders expectations.

Back