Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Joey Bosa Situation

Let me preface my upcoming statement: IF the Chargers claims are true for this most recent offer, Bosa can go fuck himself.

The Chargers are playing hardball for no reason. He's the third overall pick for God's sake. If the have any realistic expectation of cutting him in the first four years, they wouldn't have picked him. That this could permanently damage their relationship with a potential foundation of their defense is stupid. Bosa is also being a bit unreasonable in that he doesn't really stand to make any more money under another contract.

The whole situation is stupid, and really is turning into the drama you expect out of a porky run team.

Yeah, if all the other language in the contract is in line with other rookie contracts and the only thing holding him up is the 15% of his signing bonus that would be deferred to next year than yeah, Bosa can go fuck himself.

Either way, its SD and I don't care. He can sit out a year but if it's as bad as it seems hes going to hurt his draft stock going into 2017. He's only going to lose that 15% when he goes lower in the draft next year. There is NO WAY he'd go in the top 5 after sitting out a year.

Chargers trying to negotiate through the media now. Best of luck assholes.

It's the Chargers....maybe Boas is trying to get traded.

I don't believe he can be traded at this point. He either has to sign (which the Chargers have stated will be prorated since he will be playing less than a full season now) or he sits out the entire season, forfeits his contract and is forced to re-enter the 2017 draft. I hope the latter occurs. His dad was also a first round pick holdout his rookie year and played a whopping 3 seasons in the NFL. I guess busts run in the family.

Last edited:
I don't believe he can be traded at this point. He either has to sign (which the Chargers have stated will be prorated since he will be playing less than a full season now) or he sits out the entire season, forfeits his contract and is forced to re-enter the 2017 draft. I hope the latter occurs. His dad was also a first round pick holdout his rookie year and played a whopping 3 seasons in the NFL. I guess busts run in the family.

I don't think the Chargers would trade him, but why couldn't he be traded? Is there something in the CBA? edit: never mind...saw the article on ESPN

If I were him, I would sign the contract and leave as soon as it's up.

Last edited:
Bosa is in a pretty different circumstance from most other draftees. He's not pulling his family out of poverty (or even middle-class) with this contract. Unlike a LOT of other players, he has an easy support system around him if he held out all year. Further, while I think it would hurt his stock, it's not like he wouldn't be working out all year with the best trainers and coaches available. Next draft with another year of dedicated lifting and coaching, and he'll still be one of the best players out there.

Given that he doesn't need the money, he could absolutely do it and completely screw the Chargers. That the Chargers are being such dicks about it would rile me up as an employee too. I really hope he does now.

Back