Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for literature

Michchamp

Suffice to say, people have different opinions about this.

I don't think it's indefensible; his lyrics are pretty great. Poetry is literature. poets have won the prize before.

Few Americans have won Nobel prizes for literature, from what I've read; way different than in natural or social sciences. the last was Toni Morrison in '93. damn.

before that... Saul Bellow in '76, Steinbeck in '62, Hemingway in '54, Faulkner in '49, Pearl Buck in '38 & Eugene O'Neill in '36, and Sinclair Lewis in '30. We used to win it more often it looks like. The Nobel committee is rumored to hate American writers.. I guess that started after WWII.

goddamnit. Nothing is worse than making a typo in a thread title

I don't think it's indefensible; his lyrics are pretty great. Poetry is literature. poets have won the prize before.

Few Americans have won Nobel prizes for literature, from what I've read; way different than in natural or social sciences. the last was Toni Morrison in '93. damn.

before that... Saul Bellow in '76, Steinbeck in '62, Hemingway in '54, Faulkner in '49, Pearl Buck in '38 & Eugene O'Neill in '36, and Sinclair Lewis in '30. We used to win it more often it looks like. The Nobel committee is rumored to hate American writers.. I guess that started after WWII.

I dunno, doesn't this open the door for someone like Randy Newman to win?

Is this similar to a pitcher winning an MVP? No real choices.

What did he win at for? The lyrics to his stupid songs from a half a century ago?

Or did he more recently write some book that no one has ever read or has even ever heard of?

But he didn't add the smooth sweet sound of Coacine..

actually JJ Cale's version is pretty damn smooth, man.

he also wrote "After Midnight" which was also a hit for Clapton. Cale's version is the chillest song ever written. I actually prefer it over Clapton's version

he wrote a couple other songs that were hits for others (Call me the Breeze was covered by racist rednecks Lynyrd Skynrd) but never achieved real stardom on his own. his music is fucking great though.

I thought he was still alive but turns out he died in 2013. I didn't even realize... damn.

actually JJ Cale's version is pretty damn smooth, man.

he also wrote "After Midnight" which was also a hit for Clapton. Cale's version is the chillest song ever written. I actually prefer it over Clapton's version

he wrote a couple other songs that were hits for others (Call me the Breeze was covered by racist rednecks Lynyrd Skynrd) but never achieved real stardom on his own. his music is fucking great though.

I thought he was still alive but turns out he died in 2013. I didn't even realize... damn.

I'll have to check it out then.. Call me the breeze, great song. Michigan summer with the windows down, nothing better.

Last edited:
I'll have to check it out then.. Call me the breeze, great song. Michigan summer with the windows down, nothing better.

yeah, it's my favorite Skynyrd song. I'm not much of a Skynyrd fan though.

Didn't they all like, die, and shit?

Like in a plane crash, or something?

That's how all them musicians bite the bucket. In small aircrafts or in bathtubs. It's fate accomplishment. Oh, sure, some use choppers and sailboats, but they are the more creative ones. I think it's in their contracts. I think McCartney welched on his deal, and that's why his music got so stupid in the 70s. It's an ego thing...they actually get better after they are dead. Look at Billy Ray Vaughn. Marginal guitar player until he faceplants into a hillside in a Huey. Bingo, immortal legend.

Last edited:
That's how all them musicians bite the bucket. In small aircrafts or in bathtubs. It's fate accomplishment. Oh, sure, some use choppers and sailboats, but they are the more creative ones. I think it's in their contracts. I think McCartney welched on his deal, and that's why his music got so stupid in the 70s. It's an ego thing...they actually get better after they are dead. Look at Billy Ray Vaughn. Marginal guitar player until he faceplants into a hillside in a Huey. Bingo, immortal legend.

Plane Crashes.

Bathtub.

I think that parody is lost on you.

ha. when you wrote "all of them musicians" I thought you were going that route, but figured that was kinda unlike you. decided to just play it straight.

Back