Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Practice Notes

I know its fall camp, but these reports have me so hyped!

Some encouraging CB talk...

The corner competition continues to be one of the most interesting in camp and the one where you must be very careful not to read too much into who?s running with the ones on one day versus another. So while I can NOT say that word of LaVert Hill and David Long running with the ones recently is indicative of a new and firm hierarchy, I can say it?s a sign that those guys, especially Hill, are stepping up their play. It?s likely that all the guys we?ve spoken of at length at the position are going to play. Hill is especially versatile and was a guy the coaches trusted covering slots LAST year. He should be even more comfortable in a nickel role this year when called upon. When he slides inside you could see Washington, Watson, or Thomas get run on the outside. There is no shortage of talent at the position. They only lack experience. I think growing pains during the season are inevitable, but this is the type of crew that I think is just going to get better with time.

Brian Smith mentioned in his interview with the media the other day that he and the defensive staff were really impressed with the man to man cover skills of Jaylen Kelly-Powell. The former Detroit Cass Tech safety has shown his versatility playing both viper and safety, and is now getting a look in dime packages. That's proof that what Smith wasn?t just offering up ?coach speak? about JKP.

Speaking of cover skills, Smith also mentioned how impressed he was with Brad Hawkins? cover ability. Well they?re so impressed that I hear they?re giving Hawkins a look on the outside to see if he can cover on an island. Imagine a physical, 6-2, 200-pound corner with outstanding hands, and ball skills. We?re a long way away from saying Hawkins is going to be that, but it sounds like they?re going to explore whether he has that kind of multi-positional upside in him.

Last edited:
Wait...

Higdon could start? Over Evans? I love Higdon, maybe more than anyone on this board, but that would shock me. At times last year, Evans looked like a potential superstar. And quite honestly, hearing that Walker is slipping is really annoying. Sick of getting underperforming 5* backs. Who was the last one that has worked out for us?

I'm with you on the under performing backs front. I'm not sure why we can't get one of these superstar kids that just pans out, Peppers style. As far as I know, we've never had one pan out. Kevin Grady, Green and now Walker....

As far as Evans, I like him because he is different than what we've had before. He has the speed to take it to the house on any play. Higdon looks like a Mike Hart type. Could be a great back, but I don't just want that -- I want a Zeke Elliot type guy who can just win us games. And from my fan point of view, that's Evans.

Last edited:
I'm with you on the under performing backs front. I'm not sure why we can't get one of these superstar kids that just pans out, Peppers style. As far as I know, we've never had one pan out. Kevin Grady, Green and now Walker....

As far as Evans, I like him because he is different than what we've had before. He has the speed to take it to the house on any play. Higdon looks like a Mike Hart type. Could be a great back, but I don't just want that -- I want a Zeke Elliot type guy who can just win us games. And from my fan point of view, that's Evans.

Higdon had three 40+ yard TD runs in 72 carries, Evans had one in 88 carries. Higdon is about 0.2 seconds faster than Evans in the 40.

Also, You should be ashamed as a Michigan fan to wish for Elliott, and even more ashamed as a football fan for comparing him and Evans.

In short, you suck.

I'm just happy Evans and Higdon both have good vision. Smith did not. He would miss Mack truck sized holes on occasion.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Higdon had three 40+ yard TD runs in 72 carries, Evans had one in 88 carries. Higdon is about 0.2 seconds faster than Evans in the 40.

Also, You should be ashamed as a Michigan fan to wish for Elliott, and even more ashamed as a football fan for comparing him and Evans.

In short, you suck.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't many of Higdon's long runs come in junk time -- I think at least one of those is against Rutgers. So it makes sense that he would have a few more, where as Evans played a lot of significant time with the starters.

I'm also not sold on the 40 times coming out suggesting Evans is as slow as he is.

I don't think it's wrong to want the kind of back that OSU has been using to kill Michigan football for the past 15 years. Evans was 5-11 211 lbs as a recruit and Elliot is 6-0 220lbs. So to think we might have a similar back to Elliot is not wrong. Where is Higdon was 5-10 189lbs last year. I want to be able to do to OSU what Elliot did to us (30 carries, 214 yards, 2TDs). That's the difference between an undefeated Michigan team last year, and one that fell just short in 3 games.

I'm just happy Evans and Higdon both have good vision. Smith did not. He would miss Mack truck sized holes on occasion.

That was one of the most frustrating things to watch -- a hole open up and Smith charge right into the pile of guys away from the hole.

Fans can't bitch about the running game as if it has been since Hart that we've had a great runner. Shoelace ranks among the greatest "running backs" in Michigan history, statistically. Sure the RR offense was gimmicky, but it was a running attack that Denard made work.

I think Evans, Higdon & Isaac will be the key RBs. Frustrated to read the reviews on Walker after what folks had said leading up to the Orange Bowl about his improvement.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't many of Higdon's long runs come in junk time -- I think at least one of those is against Rutgers. So it makes sense that he would have a few more, where as Evans played a lot of significant time with the starters.

I'm also not sold on the 40 times coming out suggesting Evans is as slow as he is.

I don't think it's wrong to want the kind of back that OSU has been using to kill Michigan football for the past 15 years. Evans was 5-11 211 lbs as a recruit and Elliot is 6-0 220lbs. So to think we might have a similar back to Elliot is not wrong. Where is Higdon was 5-10 189lbs last year. I want to be able to do to OSU what Elliot did to us (30 carries, 214 yards, 2TDs). That's the difference between an undefeated Michigan team last year, and one that fell just short in 3 games.

Well, since you brought up Rutgers, Evans did get caught from behind on a 57 yard run against them, so....

Plus Evans only topped 56 yards in a game twice. Against Rutgers and Hawaii.

Elliott has a good 20 pounds on Evans and is much faster. This is a low point, even for you.

are there week 2 practice notes yet?

let's start a new thread for those.

I guess someone could just change the title of this thread to "Practice Notes" now.

are there week 2 practice notes yet?

let's start a new thread for those.

Good point, I bet there are thousands of lurkers who have not looked at this thread all week, assuming there was no new information.

I don't think Smith would miss holes. I think he deliberately sought contact, thinking that he could break 11 tackles every single time he carried the football.

or maybe OSU had a better O-Line for Elliot than Michigan had for whatever back they had

True, though, Elliot is in the NFL and none of Michigan's recent backs are.

It's probably some combination of better o-line and better RB.

physically, of course, not mentally. No one wants a RB that beats up women.

or maybe OSU had a better O-Line for Elliot than Michigan had for whatever back they had

They definitely had a better o-line, but that isn't saying much.

Last edited:

I think Toussaint is still in the league.

Rawls (if you count him)

Yeah I don't understand the higdon hype. To me if you are going to be a special back you have to have a dominant trait and most of all your ability to make people miss has to be great. Higdon doesn't really strike me as more than a rotational back who can churn out some yards here and there. Chris has that quickness and burst to really get it and do some special things with the ball.

I think Toussaint is still in the league.

Rawls (if you count him)

Toussaint had one good year with Denard

Don't really count Rawls, he was never given a chance or never earned it while at Michigan.

Fitz is still on the Steelers and Smith is on the Dolphins.

Yes, Smith is "technically" an NFL back. Everyone should know that I meant a successful NFL back. We will see if Smith stays in the NFL long enough to do anything at all. He could surprise me.

Back