Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU basektball recruiting

we need a wing player and a power forward for this class. i'd love alexander and booker, lots of options out there right now.

Funny how nobody was talking about this kid before now and all of a sudden everyone is psyched that he's a Spartan. Hopefully he has a great career at MSU, gets a degree and Final Four (or two) and then some but are some folks rationalizing a bit, perhaps?

Funny how nobody was talking about this kid before now and all of a sudden everyone is psyched that he's a Spartan. Hopefully he has a great career at MSU, gets a degree and Final Four (or two) and then some but are some folks rationalizing a bit, perhaps?

Wasn't really on our radar because of where he plays, Izzo has never really recruited Kansas before. Jones and Ullis were plans A and B, this kid is a great plan C and he's got a trememndous amount of the intangibles that make great college players. Thrilled that we can get a top 75 player as our 3rd or 4th option at PG.

Wasn't really on our radar because of where he plays, Izzo has never really recruited Kansas before. Jones and Ullis were plans A and B, this kid is a great plan C and he's got a trememndous amount of the intangibles that make great college players. Thrilled that we can get a top 75 player as our 3rd or 4th option at PG.

he wasn't on the radar because everyone thought Izzo was going to land 2 or 3 top 25 kids with Ullis being the most likely on the list. Hype about a top 75 kid as our third option and guys saying they prefer his size to Ullis when he's only 5'10" (only 2 inches taller than Tyler) - statements like that are what I mean by rationalization. Like I said, I hope he has a great 4 year career and hopefully Izzo still lands an elite PF or C but I view this as more of a fortunate bailout than the big recruiting victory it's being made out to be.

people were burned by losing out on our top targets like Parker, Ulis, Jones, and others. we shouldn't be this excited about getting a top 60 pg

the one thing about Nairn is that he wasn't really a last ditch effort, Izzo liked him very early in the recruiting process but he was from Kansas and got a KU offer. he figured that he had a better chance with PG's in big ten country like Ulis and Jones but that didn't work out. he just thought that it wasn't a battle worth fighting for, tough to beat Kansas for a Kansas kid

I brought him up a few weeks ago when he scheduled his visit. I watched some of his highlights and the kid reminds me of Kalin a lot. I really wanted Ulis, but after watching this kid I don't think we really lost much. This kid can play! The only draw back is he's not connected with the Chicago AAU guys so it might be harder to get them.

Also, Tom Crean said that Nairn has the character to be the best leader in the Big Ten since Cleaves. This kid really sounds like a great fit for Izzo.

The last year has been full of disappointments on the recruiting front. In the end, I think we got the guy that's the best fit for what we do and hopefully in a few years we can look back and see that missing out on Jones and Ulis turned out to be a blessing.

the one thing about Nairn is that he wasn't really a last ditch effort, Izzo liked him very early in the recruiting process but he was from Kansas and got a KU offer. he figured that he had a better chance with PG's in big ten country like Ulis and Jones but that didn't work out. he just thought that it wasn't a battle worth fighting for, tough to beat Kansas for a Kansas kid

The last year has been full of disappointments on the recruiting front. In the end, I think we got the guy that's the best fit for what we do and hopefully in a few years we can look back and see that missing out on Jones and Ulis turned out to be a blessing.

These were good posts until you both went off the rails with the rationalizing not getting clearly better talent. Again, hopefully he ends up being a great Spartan but for all we know he has as much chance of being the next Marcus Taylor as the next Cleaves. We could be losing a lot of talent next year, it would be nice to have better than near misses on some of the elite players we're recruiting.

These were good posts until you both went off the rails with the rationalizing not getting clearly better talent. Again, hopefully he ends up being a great Spartan but for all we know he has as much chance of being the next Marcus Taylor as the next Cleaves. We could be losing a lot of talent next year, it would be nice to have better than near misses on some of the elite players we're recruiting.

Marcus Taylor was a good player who made a bad decision. I don't think anyone can say he was a disappointment on the court, however.

Ulis's value got overblown because he was the highest rated PG still up for grabs (since most assume Jones is Duke bound). They missed on a PG ranked around 30 and ended up with one ranked around 60-70. I can live with that. It does sound like Nairn is an Izzo type of player. So I think we're fine at that position.

However it won't mean a whole lot if he can't also land a couple of the other guys.

Marcus Taylor was a good player who made a bad decision. I don't think anyone can say he was a disappointment on the court, however.

Ulis's value got overblown because he was the highest rated PG still up for grabs (since most assume Jones is Duke bound). They missed on a PG ranked around 30 and ended up with one ranked around 60-70. I can live with that. It does sound like Nairn is an Izzo type of player. So I think we're fine at that position.

However it won't mean a whole lot if he can't also land a couple of the other guys.

That's exactly my point - Taylor came in as a top prospect, showed promise but then left early - too early.

Ulis' value got "overblown" because he was no longer being overlooked due to his size and then it got really "overblown" after his dominant performance in the peach jam where although his team lost in OT, he outperformed Jones. In the end, I think Ulis made a mistake because I think ex-recruiting, Cal is a terrible coach (a la Thad Matta) and he won't develop like he would under a Krooziwooski, Izzo or one of the rising stars like Shaka or Fred Hoiberg.

Cliff is announcing 11/20 on ESPN. final five of MSU, KU, DePaul, Memphis and IL

Landing Cliff would be a big lift not just for his play (he's likely one and done), but for future recruiting efforts. Final Fours are great, but young stars more often have to look out for number one. They know what teams send players to the NBA, they know what teams other top players are going to. If MSU could string together a nice run of first rounders, it could lead to another string of strong recruiting classes.

That all said, Kansas seems the most likely choice. KU has sent a few PFs to the NBA recently, even they mostly flopped. Cliff could probably show off the most game in the Big 10, maybe even be the next Jared Sullinger (the one that could have been a top 5 pick his freshman year).

That's exactly my point - Taylor came in as a top prospect, showed promise but then left early - too early.

Ulis' value got "overblown" because he was no longer being overlooked due to his size and then it got really "overblown" after his dominant performance in the peach jam where although his team lost in OT, he outperformed Jones. In the end, I think Ulis made a mistake because I think ex-recruiting, Cal is a terrible coach (a la Thad Matta) and he won't develop like he would under a Krooziwooski, Izzo or one of the rising stars like Shaka or Fred Hoiberg.

Taylor led the Big Ten in scoring and assists his sophomore year and led an untalented team to the NCAAs. So it's not like he hadn't accomplished anything. I agree he left too early and obviously so did NBA GMs.

I do find it funny that Calipari has this rep for developing NBA point guards. Those kids all were one and done talents before they ever set foot on campus. I guess he should get credit for not screwing them up. It still makes Ulis's decision as someone who's likely a 4 year guy curious, but it's his life I guess. I does look like we made out ok at PG, but again we need to get a couple of the other guys out there in addition, and that's still looking iffy.

Landing Cliff would be a big lift not just for his play (he's likely one and done), but for future recruiting efforts. Final Fours are great, but young stars more often have to look out for number one. They know what teams send players to the NBA, they know what teams other top players are going to. If MSU could string together a nice run of first rounders, it could lead to another string of strong recruiting classes.

That all said, Kansas seems the most likely choice. KU has sent a few PFs to the NBA recently, even they mostly flopped. Cliff could probably show off the most game in the Big 10, maybe even be the next Jared Sullinger (the one that could have been a top 5 pick his freshman year).

I'd say 50% KU, 25% MSU and 25% for the rest of the field.

his girlfriend goes to Kansas but that would be the worst reason for a one and done guy to go to a school. if he's smart it would be a good reason to avoid Kansas

I'd say 50% KU, 25% MSU and 25% for the rest of the field.

his girlfriend goes to Kansas but that would be the worst reason for a one and done guy to go to a school. if he's smart it would be a good reason to avoid Kansas

I bet he's 100% to KU. What difference does it make whether his GF is at KU? Do You think if he didn't have a GF he wouldn't have the distraction of getting laid left and right by every gold digger and star fucker on campus no matter where he went? Besides, isn't she also a student athlete? If anything that's probably an advantage to keep his nose clean instead of getting in trouble at parties and what not.

I bet he's 100% to KU. What difference does it make whether his GF is at KU? Do You think if he didn't have a GF he wouldn't have the distraction of getting laid left and right by every gold digger and star fucker on campus no matter where he went? Besides, isn't she also a student athlete? If anything that's probably an advantage to keep his nose clean instead of getting in trouble at parties and what not.

If hes like most 19 year olds he'd like the opportunity to lay pipe all over campus with impunity.

Not saying he's not going to kansas, I consider them the favorite but if it was 100% why wait a month? Wouldn't you want everyone to stop asking you about it?

If having a reason to practice a little self control and discipline is the worst thing a one-and-done kid can do do for himself then I guess it would be a mistake. I don't know anything about his background but if he's really like most 19 year old kids he could benefit from having someone he trusts to support him and keep him in line.

As for the probabilities the real point is they're a waste of time but if he's really 2x as likely to choose KU over others (prob more like 3x) then it might as well be 100% - unless of course the kid is 75% for MSU and Kentucky suddenly shows interest.

Cliff already cut Kentucky off his list. As a 19 year old, it wouldn't be surprising if he went back and reconsidered, but I don't think Kentucky "suddenly" showing more interest is going to be the difference (unless that "interest" is shown in dollars).

Kansas is very likely the favorite, but MSU seems #2. If he picks Kansas it's completely understandable and I don't fault the kid. If he picks one of the other three on his list, I'm going to be skeptical of his decision.

supposedly there is a lot of late interest with Trevon Bluiett, he picked UCLA over Michigan and Indiana recently and then realized quickly that he wanted to stay in the Midwest. there aren't a lot of heavyweights hot after him now even though he has a good offer list, he's visiting Memphis this weekend but may get up for the Purdue game.

kevon looney on campus this weekend

supposedly there is a lot of late interest with Trevon Bluiett, he picked UCLA over Michigan and Indiana recently and then realized quickly that he wanted to stay in the Midwest. there aren't a lot of heavyweights hot after him now even though he has a good offer list, he's visiting Memphis this weekend but may get up for the Purdue game.

kevon looney on campus this weekend

saw that but I think we're at a disadvantage given we were not on his list before - I assume that means we didn't show much interest.

Would love to see Looney commit - he is a freak athlete and personally I like watching him more than Alexander although Cliff is more physical which probably fits the Izzo profile a little better.

saw that but I think we're at a disadvantage given we were not on his list before - I assume that means we didn't show much interest.

Would love to see Looney commit - he is a freak athlete and personally I like watching him more than Alexander although Cliff is more physical which probably fits the Izzo profile a little better.

I guess he kept in touch with izzo all along and the interest is mutual according to his dad. the rivals staff thinks that MSU becomes the favorite if he comes to visit

Back