Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

QB Competition

I hope Peters wins the job. Speight is fine, but his ceiling is limited. I won't be upset whatsoever if he's the starter. He's been through the fire for a season and his experience is valuable. Peters is more gifted, but lack of experience may prevent him from having the job.

Either way, my biggest concern is the o-line. Who is going to be our RT? Will we have a C that can replicate Cole or even come close?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I feel a lot better about C than RT, but that's probably a product of how much the RT situation scares me. It's not too hard to believe that either Kugler or Ruiz will be decent, I have a hard time coming to that conclusion with any of the RT options, especially against the pass.

Wasn't there a QB competition between Robinson and Gardner? Kind of? It probably would have been better all around if Gardner had taken over as QB and Robinson had changed to a RB or receiver (though I don't know if he had any talent for catching the ball). Gardner would have had the chance to develop as a QB which he didn't really have, and Robinson would have had a chance to develop as a RB or receiver. It would have been better for Robinson for his pro career to have developed in a position other than QB. The pro career he has had has been disappointing.

It probably would've been better if neither one of them played QB. They were always out of position, but they wanted to go to a place that would play them at QB and the coaches at Michigan were willing to let them.

It probably would've been better if neither one of them played QB. They were always out of position, but they wanted to go to a place that would play them at QB and the coaches at Michigan were willing to let them.

I think this was certainly the case for Robinson. He would have been much better off developing skills at some other position. But the other side of the coin was that neither RR nor Hoke had any talent for developing QBs.

Steve Lorenz of 247 is reporting that...

The quarterback battle "is real" and is "far more intense than last year".

Steve Lorenz of 247 is reporting that...

The quarterback battle "is real" and is "far more intense than last year".

Maybe it wasn't just "coach speak" after all.

though based on what I saw of O'Korn's passing ability last year, I have a hard time seeing him as an equal in this battle. maybe there is some other value in calling it a 3-way race? lower any tension between Speight and Peters? Keep O'Korn happy by at least giving him an honest shot at winning the job?

then again, i know the competition at Houston is a lot less than in the Big Ten, but still... O'Korn went from throwing 4,000 yards there to looking like a flag fotball QB here. maybe Harbaugh sees some potential we don't

Maybe it wasn't just "coach speak" after all.

though based on what I saw of O'Korn's passing ability last year, I have a hard time seeing him as an equal in this battle. maybe there is some other value in calling it a 3-way race? lower any tension between Speight and Peters? Keep O'Korn happy by at least giving him an honest shot at winning the job?

then again, i know the competition at Houston is a lot less than in the Big Ten, but still... O'Korn went from throwing 4,000 yards there to looking like a flag fotball QB here. maybe Harbaugh sees some potential we don't

I'm sticking to that statement being coach speak. I'm sure he's being given an equal shot, (like probably everyone on the roster at every position) to keep with the meritocracy theme, but there is no way O'Korn is a meaningful part of this battle. Sure he had a decent freshman year, but he regressed in his second season and we all saw him play last year. I am glad to hear that Speght v Peters is in effect though.

Last edited:
I've read a few blurbs that O'Korn looks better than Speight when given time by the o-line. More precise with his throws and has the better deep ball accuracy. His biggest problem looks to be that he completely withers under any pressure. Harbaugh probably thought he'd be able to correct the pressure issue, but it may be too big of a mental hurdle for O'Korn. I don't see him realistically being in the QB battle either.

Being back in MICHIGAN last week and among some A2 townies/M Alumni it sound like Peters is making more of a push than assumed. It's not that Speight is playing poorly -- I think he's a relatively known commodity -- but that BP is impressing and pushing him hard. Would not shock me if both see PT before BigTen play, but you have to name a starter for UF, IMO.

Hey speaking of the season isn't it about time somebody start the countdown? I would do it but it's my thinking that there's somebody who traditionally does it…

I am anticipating this season even more than 2015 because of all the new faces and the uncertainty.

I am anticipating this season even more than 2015 because of all the new faces and the uncertainty.

I'm looking forward to Hurst and Gary becoming a QB and run game wrecking crew. I also think Winovich may surprise this season because so much of the opposing o-line's attention will have to focus on trying to stop Gary and Hurst. IF Mone can stay healthy, then he can be an interior force that eats up blocks for the other three as well.

Couple that with Brown's blitz schemes, and this may be a common scene this season:
branchmorelli_thumb.jpg

I am excited about this season too. I have a feeling that although they're young, that the defense will be fun to watch and very athletic. They might give up a few big plays due to inexperience earlier in the season, but I think they'll be impactful - esp Gary.

The offense just has to be decent. Not to make a direct comparison and there's no Woodson on this team, but if the offense can manage 24-28ppg, I think the team will be successful. I don't expect a repeat of that Rutgers thrashing, but you never know.

Faster defense this year. My one concern for the defense is being booted from a game for a head shot. Our depth is talented, but it will be really young and inexperienced to go with an already young and inexperienced defense. No head shots, please!!!!

Back