Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Coaching paranoia and skullduggery

Michchamp

at lunch I read this ESPN article on stories of under-handed coaching tactics going back to the '80's. Everything from intercepting headset communications to dumpster diving for playbooks. It's a fun read (link)

No Michigan games are mentioned directly, though a few years ago, I read about how Northwestern had figured out our signals, which explained their success against us. that run only ended in '97 when a UM ball boy caught them doing it.

I do wonder how much of Tressel's success against us was due to sneaky shit (beyond their obvious paying players with cars and cash, no-show jobs, turning a blind eye to selling team gear, etc.). no question a slippery fellow like Jim Tressel would excel at this.

the '04 and '07 games always stuck out in my head as being odd outcomes. '04 they obviously had that bullshit "terrorism scare" where the Ohio state police detained our bus. in '07 I remember being at the game... and granted it was a cold and wet day, but jesus Manningham and Arrington dropped just about everything thrown to them. meanwhile ohio state didn't throw much, but managed runs up the middle that went for long TDs (random huge runs seemed to plague us against OSU during the years). NO ONE else ran it up the gut like that against us under Carr... not Texas, not USC, not even Wisconsin. did they know something about our defensive calls?

it was never surprising to me that Jim Tressel never won any awards from his fellow coaches (or from the media it turns out... not a single Big Ten COY award). the insiders must've known what was up.

also after reading that article... having open practices or even letting anyone into practice who's not a current coach or player, or team official or booster of impeccable morals, seems nuts. you might as well just mail the opposing team your playbook

Last edited by a moderator:
You remember how WyldRyder used to bullshit I was all about he was invited to watch the closed practices?

Back in the good old 1970s when everyone was happy and had a cottage and a boat, CFB teams only had like 4 plays in their books so there was no subterfuge and such.

EDIT: Maybe Hoke was onto something by not wearing headsets. Pete Carroll placing FAKE intel in the garbage. Hilarious.

Last edited:
Back in the good old 1970s when everyone was happy and had a cottage and a boat, CFB teams only had like 4 plays in their books so there was no subterfuge and such.

you guys had no idea how good you had it!

EDIT: Maybe Hoke was onto something by not wearing headsets. Pete Carroll placing FAKE intel in the garbage. Hilarious.

he got the idea from Animal House (which also came out in the 70's)

Back