Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Thomas Kithier ruled ineligible by Mhsaa

What an absolute load of shit, and it’s not because he’s going to MSU. There are hundreds of kids every year in this state that transfer to another school for the sole purpose of athletics. Not saying it’s right to do that, but to make an example of one kid out of hundreds or more is a total bitch move.

It looks like MHSAA ruled the way they did because Dakota contested it and offered proof (in the form of social media accounts of Kithier saying he'd like to play with Loyer). Which if so is pretty darn petty by Dakota, who as I understand has benefitted plenty from transfers over the years.

At the same time, did his parents really just up and relocate just so he could conceivably go play at Clarkston for one year? That's kind of nutty quite frankly, unless that is one giant coincidence.

Last edited:
Probably just used school of choice transfer right ? Are the schools pretty close ? Pretty Petty BY MD..

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it said that they moved to Clarkston, which whatever the motivations behind it, is kind of BS they'd not let him play for the school in the district where they live.

The schools aren't very close at all. Dakota is in Macomb County and Clarkston in northern Oakland, probably a solid 40-45 minutes apart.

And yeah academically the 2 school districts are pretty comparable with some ranking Chippewa Valley (which Dakota is a part of) a little higher even. So yean not athletically motivated at all or anything. I did find his parents comments about the "toxic cultural environment" to be interesting.

Last edited:
If the parents moved and it is that far apart I would take them to court personally . It sounds like Clarkston has done this but if I was the kids parents I would be freaking pissed. Because as has been mentioned this is done all the time all over the state. Maybe they can get a injunction or something that will allow him to play. Again this is so petty by Dakota and course they weren't available for comment either the ad principal or coach lol.

Last edited:
The real question in my mind is, if he's the 8th rated player in Michigan, why the heck did Izzo sign him, lol.

Unless they have some documented reasons that he felt the need to change school districts, it's pretty obvious he just wanted to play with his buddy.

The family is lawyering up:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...6/kithiers-hire-lawyers-suit-mhsaa/108656420/

Not sure what their case is. The rules as written have been broken. People may not like the MHSAA rules, but they are there and they are there because the member schools want them there. Not sure how anyone will argue that his future is being harmed either. He's got his scholarship to MSU already, and most likely the NBA isn't in his future anyway. Hell I'm not even sure he's a Big Ten caliber recruit.

The are not going after money but trying to get him reinstated by next semester.

Back