Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Michigan State Spartans

Old Today, 01:05 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbee View Post
IL is a different animal, they overplay everything to get steals. That means that they get a lot (over 18 per game) but they give up a bunch of easy looks at the basket via backdoor cuts. We had a lot of both, if they played more of a traditional pack line type D to take away the interior post, we would have had a lot fewer turnovers but not shot as well, pick your poison. I don't think you can look at one stat without looking at the other.

also, JJJ draft stock has to be through the roof.
Yeah, 21-11 with 6 blocks and several dribble drive shots was impressive. He will go top 6 or 7, maybe as high as 4th.

He played angry last night and was on another level. He's also a lot stronger than his frame suggests. And call me crazy, but he may have gotten taller this year alone, dude looks a legit 7 feet, and with that wingspan, he's a total mismatch. And he is an absolute monster defensively, he switched on guards over and over and they did nothing against him, he's took quick and too long.

He just turned 18 a few months ago, and his family is already multi millionaires. Based on that, before the season I was thinking we had a chance for him to return for a 2nd season. But after watching him, no way should or will he come back. Kid could be the next Greek Freak, his skill set is sick.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old Today, 01:19 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbee View Post
IL is a different animal, they overplay everything to get steals. That means that they get a lot (over 18 per game) but they give up a bunch of easy looks at the basket via backdoor cuts. We had a lot of both, if they played more of a traditional pack line type D to take away the interior post, we would have had a lot fewer turnovers but not shot as well, pick your poison. I don't think you can look at one stat without looking at the other.

also, JJJ draft stock has to be through the roof.
I give him a < 5% chance of coming back. He is lottery pick good.
Old Today, 01:28 PM   #173

winning the NC could be the best chance of getting him and Bridges back - the odds would still be razor thin but I can't imagine either, let alone both coming back unless they wanted to defend a title.
Old Today, 03:25 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartyNash View Post
I give him a < 5% chance of coming back. He is lottery pick good.
Normal kid and it's a 0.0% chance he comes back. Jackson only barely being 18 right now and his parents being rich already bumps that up to your <5% IMO too. I'm not sure that Marvin Bagley Jr. has as high of an upside as JJJ does, although Marvin is clearly a better player right now.
Old Today, 03:45 PM   #175

There is no way JJJ is coming back, and he probably shouldn't no matter how much money his family has. Most project him to be top 6 right now, which is higher than Bridges last year. Same deal with Bridges coming back. He hasn't done himself any favors and we should feel pretty darn fortunate that he did, even though he hasn't been as consistently dominant so far as we'd like.

As for the Ill game. I get that they pressure all over the place. There is still no way a team should turn it over 25 times. Maybe part of the issue, besides Winston still being a little inconsistent in his decision-making, is that Langford and Bridges at the 2 and 3 spots are probably no more than average ball handlers, in addition to us playing 2 true bigs. That is where we need Tum Tum, but I saw he turned it over 4 times himself.

Last edited by MSUMatt28; Today at 03:47 PM.
Old Today, 04:34 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUMatt28 View Post
There is no way JJJ is coming back, and he probably shouldn't no matter how much money his family has. Most project him to be top 6 right now, which is higher than Bridges last year. Same deal with Bridges coming back. He hasn't done himself any favors and we should feel pretty darn fortunate that he did, even though he hasn't been as consistently dominant so far as we'd like.

As for the Ill game. I get that they pressure all over the place. There is still no way a team should turn it over 25 times. Maybe part of the issue, besides Winston still being a little inconsistent in his decision-making, is that Langford and Bridges at the 2 and 3 spots are probably no more than average ball handlers, in addition to us playing 2 true bigs. That is where we need Tum Tum, but I saw he turned it over 4 times himself.
exactly - prior to last night Illinois opponents were averaging 17.9 turnovers per game. We turned it over 25 times. I can't say for sure but that has to be more than 2 standard deviations above their average. A top 5 team, even one that's a bit turnover prone should be able to keep TOs below the average against any team and we missed it spectacularly.
Old Today, 04:49 PM   #177

Matt hit the nail on the head. The issue is that Langford has decent handles and Bridges is God awful so our point guards have nowhere to go with the ball. Mcquiad is pretty average too but at least he pump fakes and gets to the rim sometimes. There’s no way you win a national championship averaging 15 turnovers per game. Not happening