Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

he Flat Earth Society

turok

Yesterday, while browsing the Space(dot)com website, I came across an article about an Atlanta-based rapper named BoB who kicked off a crowdfunding campaign to raise $1 million, ostensibly so he can build and launch one or more satellites to settle the "question" of Earth's shape once and for all. Nevermind that even if he was to raise that amount of cash, it still would fall woefully short of what it would actually cost to do so, and instead, amounts to a publicity-stunt.

https://www.space.com/38305-flat-earth-bob-nasa-astronauts.html

But it did elicit responses from the Twitter accounts of 3 astronauts, being Terry Virts, Buzz Aldrin, and Scott Kelly, the last of whom embed a video in his tweet of circumnavigating the Earth in space, and when reading some of the comments by other Twitter users, they claimed the the video was faked CGI, and that NASA's space program has been/still is all an elaborate hoax, including their trips to Moon and landings. Several also mentioned CMDR Kelly's suggestion that the donations to BoB's crowdfunding satellite efforts, go instead to Puerto Rico disaster relief...and instead demanded that NASA's annual budget be donated instead. This is so typical of science/climate change/astronomy denier hypocrites, most who have no problem with our government spending almost 3/4 trillion annually on the MIC.

https://twitter.com/StationCDRKelly/status/913079786066526209/video/1

But some are also Flat Earthers, who believe that our Sun and Moon are merely 3000 miles above the Earth. never rising or setting, and that the Cosmos is only 100 miles higher than both. I haven't dug very deeply into everything on their site/wiki as yet, but have read a few topics in their forums w/o registering. There are some members who do believe that Earth is an oblate spheroid, and are quite actively disputing Flat Earthers' (or who call themselves as "Zetetics") claims. Their pretzel logic and wildly absurd observations/calculations are quite amusing, especially given that their relatively tiny amount of adherents, will somehow quickly continue to grow globally into a majority. Still, it is kinda disturbing to me that such people still exist now in the 21st century, when space exploration via rocket is over a half century passed, and via telescopes, centuries.

When I was a still a child in the mid-60s, I came down with measles, and while convalescing, my late mother bought two large illustrated books on astronomy and earth science, which I read voraciously. One had a chapter on ancient civilizations, and showed a drawing of a flat Earth being carried on the backs of 4 huge elephants, who themselves were standing upon the shell of an even more gigantic turtle below them. Never did I think that many people still believed that our world was flat in the early days of US/USSR space race, until the advent of the internet, where the nuttiest of the world's crackpots can mingle freely.

https://wiki.tfes.org/The_Flat_Earth_Wiki

Last edited:
They claim NASA actually exists to keep people from falling off the ends of the earth.

So why would they defund NASA? In their worldview NASA plays an important role anyways.

They claim NASA actually exists to keep people from falling off the ends of the earth.

So why would they defund NASA? In their worldview NASA plays an important role anyways.

Didn't post that FEers in particular commented about defunding NASA, but that some Twitter users had on Kelly's tweet.

A satellite? A satellite is something that orbits a planet. How do you orbit a flat Earth without risking crashing into the turtles?

DKuxtLtV4AEeh_Y.jpg

the problem with this is that flat earthers think the sun is in our atmosphere and it's much smaller than it is.

Erm..and how do they explain illuminating only each half of a 2 dimensional "flat" surface in 24 hours w/o bleedover, as well as the top and bottom half of half being less and less, or more and more illuminated by 4 "seasons"?

Or how a small sun can illuminate the bottom of cloud cover, when it never truly sets below the horizon? Some truly Olympic-level mental gymnastics are necessary.

Last edited:
Erm..and how do they explain illuminating only each half of a 2 dimensional "flat" surface in 24 hours w/o bleedover, as well as the top and bottom half of half being less and less, or more and more illuminated by 4 "seasons"?

Or how a small sun can illuminate the bottom of cloud cover, when it never truly sets below the horizon? Some truly Olympic-level mental gymnastics are necessary.

Shine a flashlight on a flat object and hold it close. That's how FErs explain it. The sun is alot closer to the earth than we think, (according to them)

I admittedly do not know all that much about FEers, and would need to spend more time reading about how big and hot that their sun is, and the size of their Moon, its phases, solar/lunar eclipses, and the like. Just seems like its been more recently that I have seen a noticeable increase online about subjects and articles referring/related to FE beliefs, for whatever reasons.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe any adult who is not also mentally retarded could sincerly believe the Earth is flat.

So it seems to me the people that make up the "Flat Earth Society" are just really shitty, anti-science trolls who think they're funny.

Back