Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Russian false flag facebook operation

these stories keep getting debunked, dude. i'm sure this one will too.

if it's that easy to skew elections, both Republicans and Democrats would be throwing money at Russian hackers to run their campaigns.

these stories keep getting debunked, dude. i'm sure this one will too.

if it's that easy to skew elections, both Republicans and Democrats would be throwing money at Russian hackers to run their campaigns.

What stories have been debunked? Are you being sarcastic? Just yesterday they were reporting that Russian ads reached 126 million American through Facebook.

What stories have been debunked? Are you being sarcastic? Just yesterday they were reporting that Russian ads reached 126 million American through Facebook.

one link for u.

also, a little while ago, facebook was accused of widely inflating its numbers and ad reach in the documentation it uses to market digital ad sales to advertisers. (link for u) Almost immediately they started screaming about Russian influence on their platform to distract from this damning report.

don't trust anything facebook says.

also: don't use facebook. I don't.

Example # 99404673, of why I have never registered for a Facebook account. I value my privacy, and have never really needed it as a career collaboration, advancement, or networking tool.

Example # 99404673, of why I have never registered for a Facebook account. I value my privacy, and have never really needed it as a career collaboration, advancement, or networking tool.

+1 me neither no faceberg for me!

one link for u.

also, a little while ago, facebook was accused of widely inflating its numbers and ad reach in the documentation it uses to market digital ad sales to advertisers. (link for u) Almost immediately they started screaming about Russian influence on their platform to distract from this damning report.

don't trust anything facebook says.

also: don't use facebook. I don't.

Maybe Taibbi is working for the Russians. Seriously, not his best work.

I have a facebook account. I don't talk about stuff there as I do here of course. It's good for keeping track of who has kids and what their names are and all the home town news.

I have a facebook account. I don't talk about stuff there as I do here of course. It's good for keeping track of who has kids and what their names are and all the home town news.

you could just email them. my cousin sends an annual update to family and invites responses from people as to what kind of stupid shit they've been up to. that kind of thing generally works okay, except to the extent you have crazy and/or far right relatives, because then they start spamming you with cat pics or insane & racist forwards. a few years ago, my cousin at least limited the reach of the latter by putting everyone on BCC so they couldn't respond to all.

for news check your home town newspaper's website.

most home towns are incredibly boring though. I know mine is.

you could just email them. my cousin sends an annual update to family and invites responses from people as to what kind of stupid shit they've been up to. that kind of thing generally works okay, except to the extent you have crazy and/or far right relatives, because then they start spamming you with cat pics or insane & racist forwards. a few years ago, my cousin at least limited the reach of the latter by putting everyone on BCC so they couldn't respond to all.

for news check your home town newspaper's website.

most home towns are incredibly boring though. I know mine is.

Facebook is way better than these ideas. Tons of people use facebook poorly, or they just want to argue politics or cry out for attention, but facebook has added a "see fewer posts from this person" feature that has made it much better. There are lots of people in my past that do something once every five to ten years that I want to hear about or say congrats or whatever.

And I need to highlight the value of facebook when it comes to seeing someone I haven't seen for years and being about to figure out what their kids' names are or their spouse's or whatever.

I know too many people feel crappy about their lives when they compare them to the positive spin a lot of people put on facebook, but it's good for me. The funny/sad thing is that most of the people I know that refrain from using facebook are the ones that could actually make good use of it. It's the people that couldn't imagine not using it that it's really bad for.

Other than the whole big data side of it.

I set up a facebook account a few years ago because I got an e-mail from my high school graduation class that there would be a page for a reunion for people who couldn't (or chose not to) attend with news and photos and such, so I figured, "why not?"

So some people I remembered from back in the day sent me friends requests and I figured "why not?" and accepted them.

So now when a friend uploads a photo or updates their status I get an e-mail notification.

Sometimes I choose to check it out, more often, I choose not to.

The funny/sad thing is that most of the people I know that refrain from using facebook are the ones that could actually make good use of it.

I think only about 5% of people eligible for MENSA join that group, too.

you can turn off email notifications.

I was on it from circa '05-'14; I hated it and consistently mocked it, but had fun with it.

I had a friend-of-a-friend I used to like randomly sharing Lebowski quotes with, especially when news stories that parelleled events in the film like this popped up, but wasn't really close with him personally (and he was older and had a family, so didn't go out much)

The idea that FB founders were getting rich by dicing up and selling my personal data, and the privacy issues associated with it - which everyone SHOULD be concerned with - were always an issue for me.

around '14, wife said she was spending too much time on it and it was making her miserable, so we jointly agreed to delete our accounts. I now hear from about 6 or 7 people regularly + half dozen family members, and that's more than enough for me.

of the 200+ people I no longer get regular updates from... I wish them well, but my life is not better or worse from the lack of contact... except for the one (1) guy who was also a Lebowski fan.

But you're kinda right, Gulo: the people I knew who should've used it more, weren't even on it. it was the gossips, the meatheads, the crazy aunts, the idiots, etc.

there was also a guy who was a bartender in Chicago, and would post the most hilarious, but also awful shit. he was in a totally different scene than the one I was in, but highly entertaining. I miss seeing what that guy is up to.

that's about it. so out of 200+ people I lost contact with, I only miss two.

oh, and my wife gradually got back on facebook. first so she could join local mom groups that only had facebook updates, and then because she missed sharing baby pics with friends. some people...

Is there any good use for MENSA though?

Well, I just did a search engine search for "good uses for MENSA" and I learned that the word "mensa" is Latin for table.

So I learned a Latin word.

So that was good, I guess.

I figure that of the many friends who I had in my teens-20s, exactly zero kept in touch even infrequently with me, and I with them...except for on two occasions when I attended a wake and wedding in the early 90s. But none showed up for my father (98) or mother's ('15) wake, and a couple who were RSVPed didn't respond to my wedding ('99) invite, so why bother with hooking up virtually now, just b/c its so much easier, faster, and impersonal?

There was a MSN and an online NE Detroit group in the early-mid 00s, whose forums I joined to talk about our hood before it went to total shit by 1981, but there were only one or two members who I ever met while living there. There is also a dedicated website for my HS graduation class, where messages, reunion info and classmate death notices are posted, but all have gone dormant since FB began its social dominance.

just saw this quote somewhere:

"Twitter is information you care about from people you don't know, Facebook is information you don't care about from people you do"

Back