Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Champions Classic Tuesday Night

well, Duke attacked Ward with ball screens on back to back possessions around 9 minutes and got two easy lay ups. they pulled Ward after that, Goins played for a while and got a key offensive board and had a dunk (though that was all due to the setup by Winston). Izzo went back to ward just under 2 minutes, would we have been closer with Ward in the whole time? who knows? but I think it's obvious he needs to improve defensively, it might not show against North Florida but it will show against elite teams. Kenny Goins is not an answer to this team, Ward being functional on defense is the answer.

Also, Bridges looks tentative at the 3, I think we're a better team with him at the 3 long term but maybe a worse team now. Of course him playing the 3 allows for Jackson and Ward to play together.

Lots for us to work on

Schilling not being in foul trouble could be an answer too, though I think Izzo could have turned to him over Goins and then hope he could play enough minutes to where if he got his fifth he could go back to Ward.

I'm not sure if Bridges looked tentative at the 3 or was just tentative about how to attack Duke's zone. He needs to flash into the middle more often on that instead of just standing out on the wing. Against a man-to-man I'd hope he'd look more assertive.

Schilling not being in foul trouble could be an answer too, though I think Izzo could have turned to him over Goins and then hope he could play enough minutes to where if he got his fifth he could go back to Ward.

I'm not sure if Bridges looked tentative at the 3 or was just tentative about how to attack Duke's zone. He needs to flash into the middle more often on that instead of just standing out on the wing. Against a man-to-man I'd hope he'd look more assertive.

At the 4 Miles had a first step quickness advantage over the defender, not so much at the 3, he just needs to adapt a little bit. As I said, I think we'll be a better team in March with him at the 3, maybe not quite as good in November.

Schilling will be our first sub for the big men, the 4 fouls hurt, so you're right about him. Izzo played Carter a lot at crunch time, too bad he hesitated and then shot that 15ft bank shot attempt. he looked like a guy who hadn't played in a year.

well, Duke attacked Ward with ball screens on back to back possessions around 9 minutes and got two easy lay ups. they pulled Ward after that, Goins played for a while and got a key offensive board and had a dunk (though that was all due to the setup by Winston). Izzo went back to ward just under 2 minutes, would we have been closer with Ward in the whole time? who knows? but I think it's obvious he needs to improve defensively, it might not show against North Florida but it will show against elite teams. Kenny Goins is not an answer to this team, Ward being functional on defense is the answer.

Also, Bridges looks tentative at the 3, I think we're a better team with him at the 3 long term but maybe a worse team now. Of course him playing the 3 allows for Jackson and Ward to play together.

Lots for us to work on

My comment wasn't directly related to this one game. The fact that he averaged less than 20 mins a game on last years team and even less minutes this year so far is moronic. I don't care if he pulls up a chair on the other end of the floor on defense. He's just too much of a monster on offense to not be on the floor. On no planet should he be getting 17 minutes a game.

My question is, how does sitting on a bench make you a better defensive player??? I'm certain being on the court gaining experience is much more valuable.

Javon Bess 12 points with 6 minutes to go in the first half. He is driving to the basket like a beast. It?s almost as if Izzo tells his players not to drive to the basket and instead just throw it around the three point line 15 times and chuck up a crappy shot. It?s such a beautiful offense!!

Finished with 22 and 9. Good for him.

Good kid, hard worker, happy for him. He was drawing really good reviews early in his freshman year, then got injured, came back with poor conditioning and then never really found a spot in the rotation. Glad this worked out for him.

Back