Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The official 2018 nfl draft thread

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018...18-nfl-mock-draft-detroit-lions-harold-landry
Chat Sports 2018 NFL Mock draft: Detroit Lions select Harold Landry.
If the board were to fall this way, the Lions would be doing backflips.
POD

Poll
Who should I have picked in the Chat Sports mock draft?
DT Vita Vea
DT Maurice Hurst
DT Taven Bryan
DE Harold Landry
G Will Hernandez
G Isaiah Wynn
RB Derrius Guice
Other
VOTE view results

Vita Vea is a beast and most likely won't be there at 20

Which of those players I'd want depends on how Patricia plans to run the defense. At the moment the only nose tackle we have is Sylvester Williams, who is past his prime and who has been adequate more than a strength for the defenses that have had him. If Patricia plans to run a lot of 3-4, or if his long term goal is to transition to a more 3-4 heavy defense, then Vea makes the most sense. Vea has elite NT ability, and could anchor a 3-4 for years.

If we are sticking with our standard 4-3, I think Hurst makes the most sense. His play in college has him looking like Aaron Donald-lite, perhaps Geno Atkins potential. He's a way better pass-rusher from the interior than the DEs and rush OLBs still available. And right now pass rush in general is more important than where it comes from. Hurst is a guy that would collapse pockets and shoot gaps on runners. He's not immovable like Vea, but with 4 linemen he probably makes the most impact.

RB just isn't an important enough position, and Guice doesn't look like a superstar. Replacing Swanson and simply staying healthier will be our best play. I also wouldn't go guard, not because I think those guys aren't good, but because I think we get better value later. I'd love to pick up Ragnow in the second (or third, but I don't know if he'll make it that far), plug him in at center, and let Glasgow continue to grow at guard.

We've spent too much recently on the line to spend a first round pick at G. A first round G is a luxury pick a team with not many holes makes. Also don't want the first round RB because I feel similar talent could be had a round or two later. I hope they go need and take the best d lineman that they think fits there scheme they plan to run... I've been hearing that Roquan Smith might be falling for some reason or another.... If he falls past 15 would you consider trading up and grabbing him? I would love to have Davis and Smith leading our team into the future.... Pipe dream probably but could be realllll nice...

Some Teams Have Medically Flunked Vander Esch
Updated April 16, 2018
By Charlie Campbell. Follow Charlie on Twitter @draftcampbell.

One of the late-rising prospects during the leadup to the 2018 NFL Draft has been Boise State linebacker Leighton Vander Esch. He put together some excellent workouts for teams, showing speed and athleticism in his 6-foot-4, 256-pound frame. Injuries limited Vander Esch to six games in 2016, but he exploded as a junior with 141 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, four sacks, four passes broken up and three interceptions. That injury history, however, has still comeback to bite Vander Esch, as WalterFootball.com has learned that some teams have removed him from their draft board after was flunking him medically.

Sources from four teams said they felt Vander Esch belongs on the second day of the 2018 NFL Draft and would go there. Two other team sources thought Vander Esch could go late in the first round. One team that flunked him medically said they had a third-round grade on Vander Esch before the medical report ruled him out.

"To me, he's a third-round talent, but probably will go higher," said an AFC general manager. "He has gotten a lot of hype, but he plays soft. He's too much like Paul Posluszny for me. He's a good player and will have a lot of tackles, but most of them will come four yards downfield. He's not an impact-at-the-line guy like a Ray Lewis, Luke Kuechly, Jon Beason or Brian Urlacher."

Helping Vander Esch to go in the first round are teams not having 32 first-round grades. It varies by team, but in the final dozen picks of the first round, there will be players with second-round grades getting selected because there are not enough true first-rounders. Vander Esch could be one of those players, but medical concerns also might cause him to slide to Day 2 of the 2018 NFL Draft.

Back