Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Thread for adults who don't watch Star Wars or comic book movies

tumblr_inline_mw4qa5bDEG1rb4wte.gif

Original Star Trek series was awesome, and their movies 2, 4, & 6. Star Wars 4 & 5 were the best. I think they've gone a bit far with the Superhero movies. THOUGH I'm a fan of Robert Downey Jr. So I'll watch his stuff.

Original Star Trek series was awesome, and their movies 2, 4, & 6. Star Wars 4 & 5 were the best. I think they've gone a bit far with the Superhero movies. THOUGH I'm a fan of Robert Downey Jr. So I'll watch his stuff.

I actually have an Ironman DVD at home. I found it in the parking lot of my gym circa 2009-2010, and kept it so if you ever come over my house you can watch it.

I never saw Star Trek 1 or 3 all the way through. agree 2, 4, and 6 were great.

2 was the best, period.

It's hard to watch Spock die at the end.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

that line probably pisses off any billionaires who watch the movie these days.

I'd imagine a guy like Elon Musk, Thiel, Zuckerberg, or a Koch Brother would pay to digitally alter his copy of the movie to have Spock say instead "The needs of An Important, Successful Person like [insert billionaire's name here] outweigh the needs of a few."

I always thought of Star Trek as sci-fi for adults; Star Wars was kiddie faire. The plots of a typical Star Trek episode were a lot higher-minded and philosophical or offered political commentary that you wouldn't find in Star Wars. not much nuance to "Darth Vader" as a force of evil and Luke Skywalker as good. shit. GI Joe cartoons from the 80's had more depth than that.

Star Trek's whole "no need for money or possessions" thing probably made NBC execs and US government censors squirm. maybe that's why it was cancelled so hastily during the first run, despite being so popular, at the height of the Cold War?

Have you seen Star Trek since The Next Generation? It got visually darker and the plots found ways to get further from starfleet. 1st they put it on a space station at the edge of Star Fleet territory, then they went through a wormhole to places Star Fleet couldn't reach, then they did a prequel before Star Fleet existed. There's currency and plots driven by character conflict and all your standard sci fi stuff.

Disagree with your simplification of Vader, he was raised and trained by good guys, wanted peace and order, and saved the good guys in the end. It's more about pain and fear of loss turning otherwise good people bad. Not super deep, but not just good vs bad either.

Big Bang Theory which you've posted is a show you watch

Haven't really seen Big Bang Theory much since the rise of Netflix. Nothing against it, it just hasn't been happening. Watched the video you posted and hadn't seen any of it before, but I told my wife I'm Leonard at the end of it: married to someone inexplicably more attractive who brings home the bacon.

You have succeeded in making Star Trek seem even nerdier than it actually really is.

Star Wars and Star Trek aren't trying to be the same thing. Star Trek is better compared to Dr. Who or The Twilight Zone or Issac Asimov short stories. Nerd Stuff. Lots of plots to consider lots of things.

Star Wars is about one thing, power and fear corrupting whiny people. [1977-2015 spoilers ahead] Whiny-ass Anakin gets powerful and goes bad; whiny-ass Luke dresses in all black and goes on a rage-blitz against Anakin, but then walks it back and doesn't turn evil, and then Ben is super whiny and throws tantrums before he's even met Luke (and I haven't seen the newest one yet, but Rey is the first super Force wielder that isn't also super-whiny.)

There are some deleted out there scenes from A New Hope that reinforced just how whiny Luke was.

Last edited:
Have you seen Star Trek since The Next Generation? It got visually darker and the plots found ways to get further from starfleet. 1st they put it on a space station at the edge of Star Fleet territory, then they went through a wormhole to places Star Fleet couldn't reach, then they did a prequel before Star Fleet existed. There's currency and plots driven by character conflict and all your standard sci fi stuff.

Disagree with your simplification of Vader, he was raised and trained by good guys, wanted peace and order, and saved the good guys in the end. It's more about pain and fear of loss turning otherwise good people bad. Not super deep, but not just good vs bad either.

I watched a couple episodes of Deep Space 9; never got into it. that was the extent of my Trek fandom.

It would seem probably that as a little kid I saw an episode of the original Star Trek in its original run, but I really don't remember that happening.

I never watched a single episode it in re-runs.

I never watched a single episode of the newer one, I guess the Next Generation.

I never watched a single Star Trek movie.

I think it was on this thread that I said that I watched the original Star Wars trilogy beginning with the first one when I was in high school; pretty much everyone my age did.

Never saw any of the newer ones.

I never watched a single episode of the newer one, I guess the Next Generation.

The "newer one" is the 2nd oldest one. There's the original series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise. I've seen all of that and the animated series, which had the voices of the original cast. There's also a new series going on right now, Discovery, that CBS will only let you watch if you pay for their subscription service. I haven't seen any of that. There are also 3 sets of movies. Original cast movies, next generation cast movies, and now there's a reboot of the original characters (new people playing Kirk, Spock, and company.)

trek-animated.jpg

mirrordark2.jpg

chris-pine-zachary-quinto-star-trek-4.jpg

my oldest son keeps saying he loves Star Wars.

fortunately there are like 80 different licensed "official" Star Wars cartoons or series on netflix now, so I can just pop one of those on and leave him alone.

George Lucas must have decided he needs unlimited money.

I was relieved when activists in Chicago DEMOLISHED his plan for a "Lucas Museum" on the waterfront. what a stupid idea. glad there are still some adults in the room. although not in the room. I think they had to file a lawsuit to derail the boondoggle.

For the record: the movies are perfectly fine, as far as mindless entertainment goes. the problem is all the dorks who take them further than that.

I saw Return of the Jedi in 83 at some theater right by the Hancock building in Chicago at 4am. We waited in line and when the movie was over the sun had come up and we had breakfast at some diner.

I saw Return of the Jedi in 83 at some theater right by the Hancock building in Chicago at 4am. We waited in line and when the movie was over the sun had come up and we had breakfast at some diner.

dang that's hardcore.

The "newer one" is the 2nd oldest one. There's the original series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise. I've seen all of that and the animated series, which had the voices of the original cast. There's also a new series going on right now, Discovery, that CBS will only let you watch if you pay for their subscription service. I haven't seen any of that. There are also 3 sets of movies. Original cast movies, next generation cast movies, and now there's a reboot of the original characters (new people playing Kirk, Spock, and company.)

trek-animated.jpg

mirrordark2.jpg

chris-pine-zachary-quinto-star-trek-4.jpg

Wow...thinking it over...I guess since I didn't know any of this...or pretty much none of it...I guess I just feel kind of stupid now.

Wow...thinking it over...I guess since I didn't know any of this...or pretty much none of it...I guess I just feel kind of stupid now.
Nah. I included pictures because I assumed this stuff all went under the radar. 740 TV episodes and 13 movies not counting the animated series (which most people seem not to even thought it's Shatner, Nimoy, and company). The original series and the Next Generation combined is 35% of the total number of TV episodes, but together they also make up 10 of the 13 movies, and the other 3 are reboots of the original series. Maybe that's why most people aren't as familiar with the rest of it, no movie representation.

Back