Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The College Football Belt

Gulo Blue

collegefootballbelt.com

If football had a belt, like boxing, that you had to win by beating whoever has it, Pitt would have it right now. (That's true for anything that isn't too recent that you could pick as a starting point, including the first Princeton/Rutgers game.) Pitt starts next year by playing Penn State (well, Albany, then Penn State). If Penn State beats Pitt and then wins out or their first loss is to Ohio State, MSU, or Indiana, then Michigan will get a shot at the (fictional) belt next year.

collegefootballbelt.com

If football had a belt, like boxing, that you had to win by beating whoever has it, Pitt would have it right now. (That's true for anything that isn't too recent that you could pick as a starting point, including the first Princeton/Rutgers game.) Pitt starts next year by playing Penn State (well, Albany, then Penn State). If Penn State beats Pitt and then wins out or their first loss is to Ohio State, MSU, or Indiana, then Michigan will get a shot at the (fictional) belt next year.

thankfully, they don't do it that way

We should keep this thread going, though.

Why would Pitt have it?

thankfully, they don't do it that way

it doesn't really make sense for a team sport with separate conferences, to have a belt.

unless each conference had a belt.

and there was a separate belt for the playoff champion.

I'm sure if this existed, we'd find some fantastic way to lose it or never have it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Why would Pitt have it?

all this thread needs is for someone to post about how they don't care about this topic, and that guarantees at least 3-5 additional posts from tinsel.

all this thread needs is for someone to post about how they don't care about this topic, and that guarantees at least 3-5 additional posts from tinsel.

I'm waiting ready and prepared...but I'm not sure it's going to happen.

Not unlike the the lioness on the Serengeti is prepared for Harvey Weinstein to come along and invite her to an audition in his hotel room...but won't be surprised if that doesn't happen.

Why would Pitt have it?

At the end of 2016, Clemson had it. (Which should not be a surprise.)
They lost it last year to Syracuse, Syracuse lost to Miami, Miami lost to Pitt.

I'm sure if this existed, we'd find some fantastic way to lose it or never have it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Michigan has had it a few times, most recently we picked it up during the 2003 season and lost it to USC in the Rose Bowl.

At the end of 2016, Clemson had it. (Which should not be a surprise.)
They lost it last year to Syracuse, Syracuse lost to Miami, Miami lost to Pitt.

Did Pitt win out after beating Miami fla? I guess I should look that up. Off the top of my head, I don't think they did, but we shall see...

OK, i see. That was Pitt's last game of the season, since they didn't qualify for a bowl game.

paper champs...

Last edited:
Back