Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Fiction Books

My favorite author for about the last 20 years or so is Cormac McCarthy. we live in Vegas from 1987-2004 and around 1994 I went into a used book store and was looking around and a orange and black paperback book caught my eye for $5 dollars.

'Blood Meridian' Or the Evening Redness In The West. 1985..
One of the best books written in the last 50 years or so.. he has won a number of awards. i only listed a few. I did not read his first three books.

The Orchard Keeper (1965)
Outer Dark (1968)
Child of God (1973)
Suttree (1979)
Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West (1985)
All the Pretty Horses (1992) (National Book Critics Circle Award for All the Pretty Horses)
The Crossing (1994) ISBN
Cities of the Plain (1998)
No Country for Old Men (2005)
The Road (2006) (Pulitzer Prize)

All the pretty horse, No country for old men, The Road, and The Sunset Limited have been made into movies.. And I guess Cities of the plain looks like it will get done..

They have talked about Blood Meridian but it has fallen through 3 or 4 times.. It really might be to violent.

No country for old men On February 24, 2008, it won four Academy Awards: Best Picture, Best Director (Joel and Ethan Coen), Best Adapted Screenplay (Joel and Ethan Coen), and Best Supporting Actor (Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh). It also won three BAFTA awards and two Golden Globes.

Anyway he is a good writer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cormac_McCarthy

http://www.cormacmccarthy.com/

My second favorite writer is Jim Harrison who was born and lived a great portion of his life in Michigan. Jim has a little bit of everything. He is a fiction writer and he write poetry , Non-fiction mostly about cooking and hunting and his life growing up in Michigan and such. He attended MSU. I really like his stuff a lot...

Wolf: A False Memoir (1971)
A Good Day to Die (1973)
Farmer (1976)
Legends of the Fall (Three novellas: "Revenge" "The Man Who Gave Up His Name" "Legends of the Fall") (1979)
Warlock (1981)
Sundog: The Story of an American Foreman, Robert Corvus Strang (1984)
Dalva (1988)
The Woman Lit By Fireflies (Three novellas: "Brown Dog" "Sunset Limited" "The Woman Lit by Fireflies") (1990)
Julip (Three novellas: "Julip" "The Seven-Ounce Man" "The Beige Dolorosa") (1994)
The Road Home (1998)
The Beast God Forgot to Invent (Three novellas: "The Beast God Forgot to Invent" "Westward Ho" "I Forgot to Go to Spain") (2000)
True North (2004)
The Summer He Didn't Die (Three novellas: "The Summer He Didn't Die" "Republican Wives" "Tracking") (2005)
Returning To Earth (Grove Press - January 2007)
The English Major (2008)
The Farmer's Daughter (2009)

[edit] Nonfiction

Just Before Dark: Collected Nonfiction (1991)
The Raw and the Cooked (1992) Dim Gray Bar Press ltd ed
The Raw and the Cooked: Adventures of a Roving Gourmand (2001)
Off to the Side: A Memoir (2002)

[edit] Children's literature

The Boy Who Ran to the Woods (Illustrated by Tom Pohrt) (2000)

[edit] Poetry

Plain Song (1965)
Walking (1967)
Locations (1968)
Outlyer and Ghazals (1971)
Letters to Yesenin (1973)
Returning to Earth (Court Street Chapbook Series) (1977)
Selected and New Poems, 1961-1981 (Drawings by Russell Chatham) (1981)
Natural World: A Bestiary (1982)
The Theory & Practice of Rivers (1986)
The Theory & Practice of Rivers and New Poems (1989)
After Ikkyu and Other Poems (1996)
The Shape of the Journey: New and Collected Poems (Copper Canyon Press, 1998)
Braided Creek: A Conversation in Poetry (with Ted Kooser) (Copper Canyon Press, 2003)
Livingston Suite (Illustrated by Greg Keeler) (2005)
Saving Daylight (Copper Canyon Press, 2006)
In Search of Small Gods (Copper Canyon Press, 2009)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Harrison

I really liked the film versions of No Country For Old Men and The Road, I have never read Cormac Mccarthy but I will definitely have to give him a try.

[quote author=kgdetroit board=booksmagazines thread=480 post=12403 time=1313627432] I really liked the film versions of No Country For Old Men and The Road, I have never read Cormac Mccarthy but I will definitely have to give him a try. [/quote

Yeah i really enjoyed them also...

Flight of the Intruder - Stephen Coonts (movie did not do it justice)
Point of Impact - Steven Hunter (The movie Shooter was very loosely based on this)
Dirty White Boys - Steven Hunter
All the Novels by Lee Child - Jack Reacher is a total fucking badass, he would make Rambo piss himself.
Anything Michael Crichton
I have read all of John Grisham's, some are ok, some are fantastic.

The Alex Cross novels by James Patterson.
The Harry Bosch novels by Michael Collins.

The Asian Saga's by James Clavell, Sho-gun, Tai-pan, Nobel House, King Rat, Whirlwind.

I'll think of more to add later

kgdetroit said:
I really liked the film versions of No Country For Old Men and The Road, I have never read Cormac Mccarthy but I will definitely have to give him a try.

I've read a couple of his books. Blood Meridian was pretty depraved... good book, but man, oh man, even reading the level of violence in that one was taxing. There's an author that looks at humanity and sees nothing but pure evil, animal-lust; the law of the jungle, and nothing more.

By comparison, The Road was a happy-go-lucky jaunt through post-apocalyptic America...

a few of my favorites

Pale Fire & Pnin - Nabokov
Breakfast of Champions & Slaughterhouse Five - Vonnegut
The Corrections - Franzen
Confederacy of Dunces - Toole
Catch-22 - Heller
A Farewell to Arms - Hemmingway
The Naked and the Dead - Mailer
The Dubliners - Joyce
Blood Meridian - McCarthy

MichChamp02 said:
kgdetroit said:

I've read a couple of his books. Blood Meridian was pretty depraved... good book, but man, oh man, even reading the level of violence in that one was taxing. There's an author that looks at humanity and sees nothing but pure evil, animal-lust; the law of the jungle, and nothing more.

By comparison, The Road was a happy-go-lucky jaunt through post-apocalyptic America...

Sounds right up my alley lol. American Psycho is one of my favorite books, and if you haven't read it the movie is G rated comparatively.

MichChamp02 said:
kgdetroit said:

I agree with you on everything you said about Blood Meridian...

I made a connection with His book 'The Road' because at the time my son was only 8 years old in 2006 when the book came out... I agree with you about the level of violence in blood but the two characters the Kid and judge were some of the best characters every put to pen. The judge is just unbelievable... Holy cow...

I thought his character of Chigurh of 'No Country for Old Men was pretty terrible himself...

Cormac is a great writer that is for sure..

Mine correction Harry bosch is Michael Connelly

Reading the newest right nw

Got hinted in jake reacher too

Back