Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Basketball early games thread

If it happens where would this rank on the all time bad losses in the Izzo era, top 5? Even a win feels like one with an asterisk at this point

What an embarrassment on Izzo part. You have all that talent and you can?t score 60 points against Rutgers. Retire buddy

Yeesh. Rutgers must have the blueprint on how to play us or something. Foul every time down the court on defense and attack the rim relentlessly when you have the ball.

Winston was clutch at the line.

So no one wants to talk about how trash Bridges has been? He gets a pass from everyone it seems, even the media.

I'm just waiting to see if you get the same reaction I got when I pointed out how much Johnny Adams sucked. Just kidding. Granted bridges doesn't suck but it's definitely a fair topic for conversation. I said something last week about how he's playing himself into the late second round and it was crickets.

He's been a massive let down this season. If JJJ continues to improve, Bridges could go from POY favorite to the fourth best player on his own team by the end of the season. Let's see if that slight exaggeration generates any buzz.

Last edited:
I didn't watch the game so take this with a grain of salt but I'm less concerned about this game than the ass kicking we took from the Buckeyes. I had this conversation with a seton hall fan friend when he was so disappointed about them losing to Rutgers - and I think I said something about it here too. Rutgers is a much improved team - they're long and athletic and give a lot of offenses trouble - physically, they kinda remind me of a poor mans version of the Connecticut team that beat us in the elite 8. They're not good on the offensive end but they can give a lot of offenses a hard time. They do have a couple bad losses - they are Rutgers after all, but they have a solid win and some close losses against some good teams.

Of course even as overrated as we seem to be, we should win this game in 40 minutes, pulling away from the foul line at the end, but a lackluster win to me is a lot less disconcerting than not even being in the game against OSU. In my mind, that's a much bigger problem.

Last edited:
I didn't watch the game so take this with a grain of salt but I'm less concerned about this game than the ass kicking we took from the Buckeyes. I had this conversation with a seton hall fan friend of mine when he's was all dejected about them losing to Rutgers - and I think I said something about it here too. Rutgers is a much improved team - they're long and athletic and give a lot of offenses trouble - physically, they kinda remind me of a poor mans version of the Connecticut team that beat us in the elite 8. They're not good on the offensive end but they can give a lot of offenses a hard time. They do have a couple bad losses - they're Rutgers, but they have a solid win and some close losses against some good teams.

Of course even as overrated as we seem to be, we should win this game in 40 minutes, pulling away from the foul line at the end, but a lackluster win to me is a lot less disconcerting than not even being in the game against OSU. In my mind, that's a much bigger problem.

I'm starting to think the really weak late non-conference schedule didn't do the team any favors and kind of softened them up too much even as they were winning them by 40+. Now suddenly in conference play, even in a down Big Ten, things are not coming quite so easily and the team is going to have to respond to that (and count me as one who had been starting to think they'd steamroll the entire conference save for Purdue). I find tonight's game more concerning still than the OSU game, but it seems just about all good teams have a little stretch during the season where they don't play well for a few games or things don't go their way, and then are usually able to pull out of it. As far as that goes having Michigan now at home up next may be just what they need.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think the really weak late non-conference schedule didn't do the team any favors and kind of softened them up too much even as they were winning them by 40+. Now suddenly in conference play, even in a down Big Ten, things are not coming quite so easily and the team is going to have to respond to that (and count me as one who had been starting to think they'd steamroll the entire conference save for Purdue). I find tonight's game more concerning still than the OSU game, but it seems just about all good teams have a little stretch during the season where they don't play well for a few games or things don't go their way, and then are usually able to pull out of it. As far as that goes having Michigan now at home up next may be just what they need.

I would probably agree if we hadn't already played Rutgers and had the same problems - Rutgers is a good defensive team. they're long and athletic and they create problems. true we are not that good offensively unless we are playing cupcakes but I think RU would present challenges even if we weren't so soft and predictable with the weave. if Ward is a good passer out of double teams and smart enough, the offense should go through him. I'd much rather see productive inside-out game with Winston also driving more, than the weave and heave. maybe that will free up bridges more too - something has to get him out of his shell.

never fear, I'm sure they'll blow out some B1G cupcakes by 26+, Bridges will get a monster dunk or two on a put back when nobody boxes out then we'll hear how the team is gelling, clicking on all cylinders and can shut down anyone and we're back on track for a deep run.

Last edited:
I'm just waiting to see if you get the same reaction I got when I pointed out how much Johnny Adams sucked. Just kidding. Granted bridges doesn't suck but it's definitely a fair topic for conversation. I said something last week about how he's playing himself into the late second round and it was crickets.

He's been a massive let down this season. If JJJ continues to improve, Bridges could go from POY favorite to the fourth best player on his own team by the end of the season. Let's see if that slight exaggeration generates any buzz.

Johnny Adams, thought I?d never hear that name again. The guy went from a preseason 1st round pick to getting so exposed every game that he wasn?t even drafted. Sounds oddly familiar with Bridges, except the NBA just cares about size so he?ll get picked. If you purely looked at talent, Bridges is not even a starter on this team. The guy dribbles like a 6th grader. And I love when he throws an awful pass to someone that goes out of bounds and he raises his hands up to the other player as if it is somehow his fault.

What happened in 1 week? We went from blowing out a decent team like Maryland to getting blasted by OSU and going to OT with Rutgers.

Izzo might practice his team too hard, they look worn down right now. But more than that, both OSU and Rutgers were incredibly physical on defense. Our offense has a lot of motion and both those teams clogged it up for our cutters so much so that they stopped cutting hard to the ball. I'd bet Izzo spends all practice today on having the guys run harder on offense. Defense was fine most of last night, until late in the game when their guards were driving and making circus shots.

Team will figure it out, and earlier in this thread a couple of us were actually hoping for some adversity.

Rutgers has more size than any team we have faced, and they aren't just tall, they're big. I really like what their coach is building there, they are going to be good. Ohio State scouted us well and clogged it up more than Rutgers did, and they had that 21-2 run in 2 and a half minutes that was really strange and made the difference.

Michigan is a finesse team, doubt they stop our O like that. But they are playing pretty well too. Penetration from their guards is the only thing that worries me.

What happened in 1 week? We went from blowing out a decent team like Maryland to getting blasted by OSU and going to OT with Rutgers.

Izzo might practice his team too hard, they look worn down right now. But more than that, both OSU and Rutgers were incredibly physical on defense. Our offense has a lot of motion and both those teams clogged it up for our cutters so much so that they stopped cutting hard to the ball. I'd bet Izzo spends all practice today on having the guys run harder on offense. Defense was fine most of last night, until late in the game when their guards were driving and making circus shots.

Team will figure it out, and earlier in this thread a couple of us were actually hoping for some adversity.

Rutgers has more size than any team we have faced, and they aren't just tall, they're big. I really like what their coach is building there, they are going to be good. Ohio State scouted us well and clogged it up more than Rutgers did, and they had that 21-2 run in 2 and a half minutes that was really strange and made the difference.

Michigan is a finesse team, doubt they stop our O like that. But they are playing pretty well too. Penetration from their guards is the only thing that worries me.

OSU just blew out Maryland last night. Maybe OSU is a decent team? I honestly don't know...I haven't seen them play yet.

About to start my annual drinking game of a shot per turnover. Hopefully I live

started out 8-9 shooting and we only lead by 1 because we have 8 fucking turnovers. Mainly Winston and Bridges. No excuses for their out of control game.

Ahhhh good old illinois road game. tons of fouls, hacking, turnovers and illinois hanging with us the entire game. This is just a typical game at Illinois. Pray for a win here. This game will never get going....

Last edited:
And of course we are going to get their best game thy have played all year...yawnsss

Back