Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Malik Mcdowell

McDowells dad came out and said he will not let Malik go to MSU, period. Said Malik would already be an MSU commit. Also said that he will not let him attend any school that not out of the state. Looks like FSU or OSU.

Unless Malik goes against his parents wishes, he is not coming here.

Do you have a link to that? i read that BS sam webb article where his dad says he wants him to consider other schools other than MSU but nothing else.

Pushing him to where his heart isn't in it could be worse than the possibility of being too close to the bad influences of his hometown. Seems odd to me how hard the father is fighting him. Feel bad for the kid either way if this is all true.

Pushing him to where his heart isn't in it could be worse than the possibility of being too close to the bad influences of his hometown. Seems odd to me how hard the father is fighting him. Feel bad for the kid either way if this is all true.

Exactly! Seeing this Id bet he ends up at OSU :/

ok, i got some info on rivals. it's out of the bag that his parents are anti MSU and that's the only place that he wants to go. some speculation that his parents are going public with those comments as a last ditch effort to talk him out of MSU

His parents would like to see him at Florida State or Ohio State.
"As far as me and his mom are concerned, I think everyone knows
where we stand," Greg McDowell, Malik's father said on Monday morning.
"I already know what Malik's decision would be. We may not be as close
as we need to be right now as far as deciding the actual place.
"We're basically at the same point, his mother and I, as long as
he gets away from Michigan we don't care where he goes. We've expressed
numerous times all we want is the best for him and seeing him get out of
here we think is best. It's for his future. I just want him to
recognize that and hopefully he understands and he will take that into
account and say I'm 17 and my parents want the best for me and I'll jump
on board because it's only three or four years that I'm going to be
away, and I want to get to this certain level and be somewhere I can
concentrate. You have to be somewhere you have less distractions and be
around people that do what you do, go to class, be football players, be a
student-athlete. That's the environment I want him to be around, and
not be in close proximity to his friends.
"I want him out of Michigan. I don't care if that's Ohio State or Florida State."

His parents would like to see him at Florida State or Ohio State.
"As far as me and his mom are concerned, I think everyone knows
where we stand," Greg McDowell, Malik's father said on Monday morning.
"I already know what Malik's decision would be. We may not be as close
as we need to be right now as far as deciding the actual place.
"We're basically at the same point, his mother and I, as long as
he gets away from Michigan we don't care where he goes. We've expressed
numerous times all we want is the best for him and seeing him get out of
here we think is best. It's for his future. I just want him to
recognize that and hopefully he understands and he will take that into
account and say I'm 17 and my parents want the best for me and I'll jump
on board because it's only three or four years that I'm going to be
away, and I want to get to this certain level and be somewhere I can
concentrate. You have to be somewhere you have less distractions and be
around people that do what you do, go to class, be football players, be a
student-athlete. That's the environment I want him to be around, and
not be in close proximity to his friends.
"I want him out of Michigan. I don't care if that's Ohio State or Florida State."

Being OSU is closer but still out of state leads me to believe thats where he will end up. Unfortunate..

I'm hearing osu or fsu to please his parents

Dude, that was last week. My guess is dad said that to swing him to Michigan.

I don't see why his dad is so upset. It's not like he'll make his living from his degree, it'll be from his football career. I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but if he works hard and plays for Duzzi? Yeah...

He's going to Florida probably, hopefully he likes it there. Hate to see a kid who wants to play somewhere be told he can't. Sometimes when your heart isn't into it things don't go too well.

This is a weird saga. Really weird to me that it is so public.

If I had a 4 or 5 star son with so many options available, I'd like to think I'd let him go to almost any school in any major conference he chose to attend.

You can get a great education at any of them. It's a matter of how you apply yourself. There are also pitfalls at any of them. It's again a matter of the decisions you make.

If I felt my son was at risk of the pitfalls I'd want him at a school nearby where I can keep a pulse on his academics and social life. Seems Malik's family wants a hands off approach and to put pressure on the out of state football program to keep the kid studying and mitigating his social activities.

edited to add:

Also wanted to remind folks this is a kid who transferred from a very successful Loyola football program to Southfield High after his Junior year. There was great speculation as to the motivation behind the transfer. He already was viewed as a top high school prospect. It didn't seem there was much to gain aside from playing in a higher MHSAA division.

There was even direct speculation including in the media, as to whether the transfer was purely athletically motivated (I am sure it was but that is always impossible to prove) and if he would even be eligible to play at Southfield as a senior based on the transfer rules.

The transfer to Southfield coupled now with this public recruiting drama between him and his parents leads me to believe there is some dysfunction in the overall situation with Malik and his family and academics/athletics priorities. I would not be bothered at all if he didn't come to MSU. It might become a problem situation for the MSU staff dealing with his family.

Last edited:
this is beyond strange now, his parents are talking to the papers saying why they don't want him at MSU. his mom said that there was some incident where she had a bad experience. she also said that she doesn't think that Ron Burton is the right coach to get him to the NFL. to be fair, burton was a coach at air force and they don't give football scholarships. of course Narduzzi puts people in the NFL, that may be a smokescreen like Jabari talking about Dawson.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140203/SPORTS07/302030118/michigan-state-craig-evans-malik-mcdowell

putting football aside, maybe the mom has a good reason. Of course i want the best player in the state to go to MSU but i understand that a parent would want what's better for her son.

there is also the possibility that there may be some extra benefits for going to FSU or OSU, you never know

If we get him, great, if not, whatever.

if we finish with Evans, Jones, and Harrell that's very, very strong.

If we get him, great, if not, whatever.

if we finish with Evans, Jones, and Harrell that's very, very strong.

Word is that Cage and Harrell may be silent commits already.

This has been an interesting cycle. We got some highly ranked players whatever that means, but think about this: We flipped the top player in Wisconsin from Wisky in Evans. We flipped Darius Slade from Nebraska when Urban was going hard after him too. We have a 50-50 chance to flip a top 60 OT from OSU and Urban today. McDowell was a lock for U of M for months and we flipped him to us even though he likely won't come here now, he's not going to Michigan either.

I can't remember MSU doing this type of damage to their rival(Michigan) and the main B1G competition in Nebraska, Wisky, and OSU.

Word is that Cage and Harrell may be silent commits already.

This has been an interesting cycle. We got some highly ranked players whatever that means, but think about this: We flipped the top player in Wisconsin from Wisky in Evans. We flipped Darius Slade from Nebraska when Urban was going hard after him too. We have a 50-50 chance to flip a top 60 OT from OSU and Urban today. McDowell was a lock for U of M for months and we flipped him to us even though he likely won't come here now, he's not going to Michigan either.

I can't remember MSU doing this type of damage to their rival(Michigan) and the main B1G competition in Nebraska, Wisky, and OSU.

Funny what a Rose Bowl win can do for you. I also think the "marketing" has been great for this team. The dancing after wins shows how much fun the players are having and also having the rapper Rich Homie QUAN around the team makes a difference in the recruiting kids eyes. It almost reminds me of the Miami Hurricanes with Uncle Luke and they way they played great defense.

Funny what a Rose Bowl win can do for you. I also think the "marketing" has been great for this team. The dancing after wins shows how much fun the players are having and also having the rapper Rich Homie QUAN around the team makes a difference in the recruiting kids eyes. It almost reminds me of the Miami Hurricanes with Uncle Luke and they way they played great defense.

not too much like Miami, but yes, they have more fun than other teams. I remember the video after the nebraska game and thinking who wouldn't want to be a part of that.

ok, so his mom is supposed to call into 105.1 at 2pm today. this is becoming a jerry springer episode

Highlights from the interview

"malik is not mature enough to make this decision by himself"

"if you ask him why he wants to go to MSU, he'll say comfort"

"msu coaches know exactly why she's mad and won't do anything about it"

"said it would be matt derry's fault if MM doesn't pick MSU"

"she doesn't want to think about what she'd say if he picks MSU"

"she said she'd be happy with any of the other schools"

Brian Snow ‏@BSnowScout 1m
Been doing this 9 years, dealt with A LOT of parents, never come close to hearing one has outwardly against a school as Malik McDowell's mom

Back