Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU @ Western

LuciousGameWinner

Michigan state playing in Kalamazoo, that's something you don't hear often. Has it ever happened?

Either way, I'm looking to see how the DBs and Safeties fair in this game. Western isn't a bad team by no means and have a pretty good passing attack so it should be a nice warm up for Oregon. Also looking to see how London, Holmes, Scott and Williams (maybe?) do.

Should be a decent game and honestly anything will do because boy have I missed college football.

Prediction: MSU 35 Western 17

Michigan state playing in Kalamazoo, that's something you don't hear often. Has it ever happened?

Either way, I'm looking to see how the DBs and Safeties fair in this game. Western isn't a bad team by no means and have a pretty good passing attack so it should be a nice warm up for Oregon. Also looking to see how London, Holmes, Scott and Williams (maybe?) do.

Should be a decent game and honestly anything will do because boy have I missed college football.

Youre right on the spread of -18. Not a walk through game, Western has a recruiting presence and they are quite talented. Really curious to see how our backfield plays. lowest tickets ive seen are $150. Has that ever happened is the next question?

Last edited:

Same, with the Tigers being completely out of the picture for over a month now I am checked out of the baseball season. I think this is going to be closer than most people think, I'll say MSU 31, WMU 17.

Last edited:
Western will be a good test for our defense, they have a good RB and QB and some play makers. I could see this game being close at half time, say 17-13. MSU blows it open in half two though and wins 45-20.

Last edited:
If we put up high 30s plus and don't cover 18, we're not a top 10 team (currently, at least). If we score in the low 30s or high 20s and wmu gets a garbage TD for the back door cover, that's one thing. I think a rusty offense is much more fixable as young TBs and to a lesser extent, WRs gain experience but if our pass defense breaks against wmu, I think that's a problem.

I'm not saying I expect wmu to expose us or that we don't deserve the ranking. I fully expect to pummel them and spend most of the 4th qtr running the clock down. If we're really top 6, we should cover 18.

Last edited:
Broncos have one of the top young coaches in the game. Fleck has an opportunity to open some eyes with games against both Spartans and Buckeyes this year.

I may have to reconsider my position - i just remembered Mike Hart is the Broncos' running backs coach.

I am surprised that they are only an 18 point favorite. #5 team in the country vs. a MAC team?

I am surprised that they are only an 18 point favorite. #5 team in the country vs. a MAC team?

Western is coming off an 8-5 season and has an explosive offense. They're favored to win the MAC and would probably beat several Big Ten teams.

Western is coming off an 8-5 season and has an explosive offense. They're favored to win the MAC and would probably beat several Big Ten teams.

The MAC coaches poll has BG as the favorites in the east. The west is Northern Ill, Toledo then WMU. The one online betting site that has the odds for winning the MAC has WMU tied for 3rd with BG at +475

They are not favored to win the MAC

The MAC coaches poll has BG as the favorites in the east. The west is Northern Ill, Toledo then WMU. The one online betting site that has the odds for winning the MAC has WMU tied for 3rd with BG at +475

Probably not. The MAC east is garbage. BG won it last year @ 5-3 and wmu beat them by 14. Wmu's best showing may have been the OT loss to Toledo. They lost to Purdue by 9. Purdue won 1 B1G game last year.

Again, I'll be less worried if we score in the 20s and don't cover but if we score more than 5 TDs and don't cover, that's a problem.

Thats the first glance thought when seeing the spread. look at last years schedule and draw the same conclusion,they arent a joke. They know how to win games and we havent seen either team on the field yet. This could be one of the biggest games theyve every played in regards to signifigance (in fact im sure it is). They could very well make us uncomfortable for a good portion of the game. They have no business winning when the 4th quarter ends but its not out of the realm of possibility either. -18.5 is a 50/50 line and id agree with Vegas on it.

Last edited:

Thats good to hear. Its a rare chance they would win but better odds than App State Vs Michigan. Hope we execute first game and arent giving up plays to their WRs.

Thats the first glance thought when seeing the spread. look at last years schedule and draw the same conclusion,they arent a joke. They know how to win games and we havent seen either team on the field yet. This could be one of the biggest games theyve every played in regards to signifigance (in fact im sure it is). They could very well make us uncomfortable for a good portion of the game. They have no business winning when the 4th quarter ends but its not out of the realm of possibility either. -18.5 is a 50/50 line and id agree with Vegas on it.

as we know, anything can happen. That said...if MSU is truly a contender for the 4 game playoff...they should beat WMU byu 4 TDs 8 times out of 10.

I stand corrected.

But Western is a pretty good team who could play tough at home in an electric environment.

well, it's an upgrade from his previous position - running backs coach at eastern michigan...

On a side note can someone explain to me why Eastern still fields an FBS or even a D1 football program? It's truly sad

Vegas, and the gambling public evidently have more doubts about Dantonio's ability to replace Narduzzi, Lippett, Mumphrey, Langford, Hill, and put together a solid secondary, than MSU's fanbase does.

they will beat WMU soundly, but without all those weapons, it probably won't be a blowout. The only way it will be is if the get some additional points from defensive or ST scores.

If the MSU O and D lines are as advertised, the score should be 55-0 by the end of the third.

Back