Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU @ Western

If I learned anything about MSU and Oregon this weekend, it's that a game between the two is going to be a shootout. MSU's defense is not as good as last year, but should be better Friday after a game's worth of experience and coaching tweaks. Oregon's defense isn't very good, but they still run arguably the best offensive system in the country.

I imagine this game is going to look like MSU-Baylor again, though with MSU having HFA (still bothers me we had to play them in their back yard). The difference in this game is going to be field goals. Not who hits them, but who is held to them. If Oregon scores three touchdowns on their first three possessions, it's game over and MSU's defense is going to be done. If Oregon is sitting on a touchdown and two field goals, MSU should be in charge.

We will need to attempt a few passes over 20 yards in the air to keep up with them. Not a magical formula but i wouldnt be surprised if the coaches refuse to do it (unless we are down in the 4th quarter)

We will need to attempt a few passes over 20 yards in the air to keep up with them. Not a magical formula but i wouldnt be surprised if the coaches refuse to do it (unless we are down in the 4th quarter)

I think the coaches must have learned from last year. They tried to slow-play Oregon last year and then couldn't keep up in the second half. They tried to slow-play Baylor in the bowl game and only a miracle comeback changed the script. It sounds like a good idea to beat defenses up by running down their throats, but we aren't Auburn or, hell, even Army/Navy. The coaches were able to get away with vanilla against Western because it's Western, and probably called things that way for exactly that reason.

But this is the second time we are playing Oregon. Dantonio isn't crazy, he's not going to keep doing the same things that didn't work before. Dantonio has already processed what happens with vanilla (Western). You can be sure we are going to see highly disguised coverages and blitzes. You can bet the offense is going to open up the entire playbook and take some risks. This is the first real game that could get us in or kick us out of the playoffs. We may lose anyway, but I can't imagine the coaches are thinking that being ultra conservative is a winning plan.

I think the coaches must have learned from last year. They tried to slow-play Oregon last year and then couldn't keep up in the second half. They tried to slow-play Baylor in the bowl game and only a miracle comeback changed the script. It sounds like a good idea to beat defenses up by running down their throats, but we aren't Auburn or, hell, even Army/Navy. The coaches were able to get away with vanilla against Western because it's Western, and probably called things that way for exactly that reason.

But this is the second time we are playing Oregon. Dantonio isn't crazy, he's not going to keep doing the same things that didn't work before. Dantonio has already processed what happens with vanilla (Western). You can be sure we are going to see highly disguised coverages and blitzes. You can bet the offense is going to open up the entire playbook and take some risks. This is the first real game that could get us in or kick us out of the playoffs. We may lose anyway, but I can't imagine the coaches are thinking that being ultra conservative is a winning plan.

Great post. The Rose Bowl year we were aggressive and tested other teams backs with deep passes, fakes going for it on 4th, not running the clock out to halftime when there is 1:30 on the clock. Its one of the only years I can rememebr n the last 20 thats we FINALLY got aggressive from the start to finish in a season. Agreed, running it down their throats wont work in this matchup

Back