Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU -4 Vs Iowa in BCG

johnny2x2x

Seems about right, Iowa is a solid team, but they run an offense our D is built to stop. I would think this line goes up this week. I don't think Iowa can deal with our athleticism in the front 7, and Cook will be dialed in next week. The way out O Line is blocking right now our offense is really humming.

On paper, MSU should definitely be favored. We have the superior offense, and their offense plays to our defense's strengths.

The one concern I have is consistency. Iowa may not truly be a world-beater, but they've shown up with the same energy and discipline every game. MSU, even factoring in the injuries, just hasn't. There shouldn't be any lack of motivation,though, so perhaps I'm being overly cautious.

I think big game experience also favors us, we've played in a ton of games under the national media spotlight the last few years with these players. I think this line he's to -6.5 by Saturday.

We have to play well to win, but they're a less talented version of us.

I think big game experience also favors us, we've played in a ton of games under the national media spotlight the last few years with these players. I think this line he's to -6.5 by Saturday.

We've certainly played, and beaten, better teams than Iowa has even seen this year. But I never quite understood the experience factor. I mean, I understand it when experience is synonymous with development (i.e. QBs with more games under their belt are more prepared for different situations), but not in such vague situations.

All of Iowa's games are televised, and are watched across the nation. Media spotlight also doesn't mean the same thing to these players as it does to you and me. When a camera is shoved in their faces, they don't know how many people are going to see that video. They have had those cameras in their faces their entire careers, the only difference is the side they can't see.

Even the idea that players will behave differently in big games (high pressure) probably misses the fact that all of these players have played in big games before. Nearly everyone on these teams were superstars in high school playing for championships. Iowa has faced two ranked teams already and has been carrying the burden of being undefeated for several weeks. And I believe (can't find the article) that even statistically, experience has almost no correlation to winning or losing when compared to actual team strength or health.

Experience might help, but I think the fact that our team has beaten better opponents says a lot more. I'm hoping MSU is prepared and motivated for this game like they have been for Oregon, UM, and OSU. Anything less, and Iowa IS good enough to win.

We've certainly played, and beaten, better teams than Iowa has even seen this year. But I never quite understood the experience factor. I mean, I understand it when experience is synonymous with development (i.e. QBs with more games under their belt are more prepared for different situations), but not in such vague situations.

All of Iowa's games are televised, and are watched across the nation. Media spotlight also doesn't mean the same thing to these players as it does to you and me. When a camera is shoved in their faces, they don't know how many people are going to see that video. They have had those cameras in their faces their entire careers, the only difference is the side they can't see.

Even the idea that players will behave differently in big games (high pressure) probably misses the fact that all of these players have played in big games before. Nearly everyone on these teams were superstars in high school playing for championships. Iowa has faced two ranked teams already and has been carrying the burden of being undefeated for several weeks. And I believe (can't find the article) that even statistically, experience has almost no correlation to winning or losing when compared to actual team strength or health.

Experience might help, but I think the fact that our team has beaten better opponents says a lot more. I'm hoping MSU is prepared and motivated for this game like they have been for Oregon, UM, and OSU. Anything less, and Iowa IS good enough to win.

I think the extra national interviews and media coverage creates a more high stakes atmosphere. We've also played in Lucas Oil Stadium 3 times in 5 years including 2 years ago. GameDay brings added attention and this is our 4th GameDay game if the season, Iowa's first. Cook has performs in this venue and in Rose and Cotton Bowls, their QB has none of that experience.

But you're right, the fact that they haven't played as tough of a schedule as we have is a bigger factor. Vs Oregon, @UM, and @OSU is a better three wins than anyone in the country, Iowa hasn't faced those types of athletes this season. But Iowa is very sound and you know they will block and tackle well. Great matchup.

We should win - I think by a TD +/- a couple pts - but this game definitely makes me nervous. You could say Iowa is in the position we've been in - the up and coming underdog with something to prove. I'm sure they're looking at the game coverage and wondering why, as an undefeated, higher ranked team who soundly beat the only team we lost to, they're the underdog and most people are picking MSU to win. I said two weeks ago that we've lost a bunch of games to Iowa that we were supposed to win - they're not to be taken lightly. That said, the last two games were by far our best of the year, at least since Oregon.

We should win - I think by a TD +/- a couple pts - but this game definitely makes me nervous. You could say Iowa is in the position we've been in - the up and coming underdog with something to prove. I'm sure they're looking at the game coverage and wondering why, as an undefeated, higher ranked team who soundly beat the only team we lost to, they're the underdog and most people are picking MSU to win. I said two weeks ago that we've lost a bunch of games to Iowa that we were supposed to win - they're not to be taken lightly. That said, the last two games were by far our best of the year, at least since Oregon.

Iowa didn't soundly beat Nebraska, they won 28-20 and were out gained 433-250, 1st downs were 22-10. Tommy Armstrong decided to throw it directly to Iowa defenders 4 times, that's why Iowa won. A couple of those interceptions were horrible.

But yeah, this has the feel of the MSU-OSU BCG 2 years ago, people are discounting Iowa. Iowa blocks well and they tackle well, that's 90% of what football is. We'll have to be on our "A" game to beat them.

Narduzzi is going to give us a break down, Coach D has already reached out to him. They lost to Iowa on a last second 56 yard FG in the 1st game of the season. 1st game means that Narduzzi probably watched film on them all summer and knows a ton as he had his Pitt team in a position to win despite being average.

Iowa is going to score some points. They are balanced offensively and our defense other than the OSU game still hasn't shown that it can really shut teams down consistently. Even PSU was moving the ball regularly but kept shooting itself in the foot until eventually things got out of hand.

However Iowa also has been giving up some points of late and our offense seems to be peaking (and healthy). I think it'll be a touchdown or less game either way.

I'd rank this as the 3rd or 4th most difficult game on our schedule this year so far

Iowa didn't soundly beat Nebraska, they won 28-20 and were out gained 433-250, 1st downs were 22-10. Tommy Armstrong decided to throw it directly to Iowa defenders 4 times, that's why Iowa won. A couple of those interceptions were horrible.

But yeah, this has the feel of the MSU-OSU BCG 2 years ago, people are discounting Iowa. Iowa blocks well and they tackle well, that's 90% of what football is. We'll have to be on our "A" game to beat them.

Narduzzi is going to give us a break down, Coach D has already reached out to him. They lost to Iowa on a last second 56 yard FG in the 1st game of the season. 1st game means that Narduzzi probably watched film on them all summer and knows a ton as he had his Pitt team in a position to win despite being average.

Maybe "handily" is a slight overstatement but the stats don't tell the whole story. Nebraska did turn the ball over 4 times but they got just as many points off turnovers as Iowa. Iowa took an 11 pt lead early in the second half and had it for most of the rest of the game. They didn't have many sustained drives after that, but they milked the clock pretty effectively w/ that lead - they gave up 105 yards in the 4th quarter but 56 of them came on a late desperation drive against the prevent defense where they forced Nebraska to settle for a 42 year FG to get within 8 with 1:17 left. Nebraska had one drive over 35 yards in the first half and just 3 all day. It wasn't an ass-kicking but they had control most of the second half and they finished.

That said, if they play like that against us, needing long rushing plays to get half their points and 3rd TD from a pick 6, playing tight and conservative the rest of the way, I'd say that favors us. I'd be shocked if Cook had a day like that and I expect we'll score at least in the high 20s.

Last edited:
Watched some Iowa football in the past week. I don't know, I just really think this is a favorable match up for us on both sides of the ball. Iowa runs a power O with slow developing run plays, that's what our defense destroys. Iowa does block well, but I just don't think you can run those types of run plays vs the speed of our defense. The quick hitting or misdirection run can occasionally gash us, but that's not what Iowa does. They run a similar offense to Michigan but with better blocking and less talent at the skill positions.

Defensively they run the cover 2 and they don't pressure the QB, Cook can pick them apart underneath all game. We don't have a great vertical attack passing and that's what Iowa's D takes away.

It's not that Iowa isn't a great team, they are, it's just the match ups and styles sure seem to favor us. Beathard rolling out in the only thing that they do that gives us some problems.

Of course special teams and field position will be huge, but if we can be decent there I think we should win this game handily.

Looks like Pendleton will play. Fairly important piece against a team like Iowa whose LBs make most of their tackles. He's got ghe ability to block them in space.

Just moved into a new house yesterday and direct TV said they can't put a dish here. Good thing it is on Fox, so off to Lowe's I go for rabbit ears.

Just moved into a new house yesterday and direct TV said they can't put a dish here. Good thing it is on Fox, so off to Lowe's I go for rabbit ears.

good luck with that, i'd go crazy if it was going in and out, might be time to find a bar nearby

Good luck guys. Regardless of which team wins, I hope that team wins the NC. I'm not anti either of these two (well, I hate the Hawkeye-Steelers unis). If Iowa wins, makes a nice Dark Horse storyline. MSU winning is good or the state.

Like I said, good luck and hoping for a fun game with no injuries, especially for the victor as they need to win it all in the playoffs.

Looks like Pendleton will play. Fairly important piece against a team like Iowa whose LBs make most of their tackles. He's got ghe ability to block them in space.

He looked messed up whe he came out the other game. Lucky to have his recovery so quickly.

Good luck guys. Regardless of which team wins, I hope that team wins the NC. I'm not anti either of these two (well, I hate the Hawkeye-Steelers unis). If Iowa wins, makes a nice Dark Horse storyline. MSU winning is good or the state.

Like I said, good luck and hoping for a fun game with no injuries, especially for the victor as they need to win it all in the playoffs.

I havent seen Iowa play this year. If we lose ill be pulling for Iowa to win it all.

Back