Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NFL draft

LuciousGameWinner

Chances that we get 2 first rounders in Conklin and Cook? I say pretty damn good.
What round is Calhoun projected to go?

A guy posts a video smoking pot and gets drafted top 15 while a guy who has never done anything bad in his life is on the board at the end of the 3rd round. I don't get it.

I was tough on cook and believed he was a 2nd/3rd rounder, but Christian Hackenberg ahead of him? That kid is the definition of soft.

It's unfathomable really, I'm just glad he didn't go to the Lions or Browns and ruin his career from the get go.

I think at this point it's all performance /skill related. I know not being a capitan is being talked about but I think that's over blown.

A guy posts a video smoking pot and gets drafted top 15 while a guy who has never done anything bad in his life is on the board at the end of the 3rd round. I don't get it.

I was tough on cook and believed he was a 2nd/3rd rounder, but Christian Hackenberg ahead of him? That kid is the definition of soft.

hackenberg - it's like the Jets want to be bad and are trying to leave no doubt they are worse than even Cleveland at selecting QBs. the best thing that can be said about Hackenberg is that he sucks.

I think at this point it's all performance /skill related. I know not being a capitan is being talked about but I think that's over blown.

then why is no one talking about performance/skill issues? he is widely acknowledged to be one of the top 3 QBs talent wise in the draft. the guy was 34-5 with 3.5:1 TD:INT ratio and several big wins in close games with some deep, good but not overly talented WR groups - certainly no elite receivers. he may not be elite but other than the Jets, who would say he's not more talented than Hackenberg?

Last edited:
then why is no one talking about performance/skill issues? he is widely acknowledged to be one of the top 3 QBs talent wise in the draft. the guy was 34-5 with 3.5:1 TD:INT ratio and several big wins in close games with some deep, good but not overly talented WR groups - certainly no elite receivers. he may not be elite but other than the Jets, who would say he's not more talented than Hackenberg?

When many teams pass on a guy and even Hackencrap is selected before him , and the guy NE selected, there must be a reason. Maybe he's bad at interviews or scored low on his Wonderlic scores or maybe because of this..

2gVOJioTwaRg7QvEwZ6A_BtQMXtbCYAAgbky.jpg

I did read this.. Might answer some of it.

One quote ?I think he just gets caught up in the persona and the whole ?being the quarterback,?? said a scout for a fourth team who has studied Cook extensively. ?That?s just my gut. The lifestyle?s more important to him than the actual grind and the process.?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...onnor-cook-michigan-state-nfl-draft/83337046/

I can see that being the case. It's nice to see all of the MSU players show support on Twitter. They're all baffled.

Your guess is as good as mine but the character thing has to be way overblown. We follow this program extensively and there was no report of any transgression by cook. He may not be a natural leader but it's not like he has an long rap sheet or history of suspensions like other players drafted ahead of him.

Also, is being a vocal leader that important in the NFL? Do multimillionaires really respond well to rah rah stuff?

I know it sucks for him to be in this situation, but I would love for it to mean that the Lions can pick him up in the 4th. We need a backup QB. Cook already comes from a pro-style offense. His leadership would be moot since he would be coming in as a backup. His accuracy could be worked on in practice without affecting games.

Worst case, he plays the same (but cheaper) role as Dan O. Best case, he works out his accuracy issues and either gives Matt competition or gets flipped for a better pick down the road.

I think his physical skills were overrated and never saw him as a first rounder, more a late second rounder at best. He is good, not great in a lot of areas (arm strength, athleticism) but not in a way that jumps out at you. And accuracy issues are a big deal in the NFL where there are really tight spaces to throw the ball into. We've seen him do that but he needs to be more consistent with it.

With that said, the way these NFL folks with all their gutless anonymous quotes have picked apart his character for just the dumbest things (and non-specific ones at that) has been really petty and unfair. Put a name behind the quote and own it you chicken-shits.

As for Hackenberg that pick is really a reach. He does have a big arm and showed promise as a freshman. But the book on him now with everyone else except for the Jets is that his pocket presence is atrocious, and that is every bit as much of his problem as the bad O-lines he played with at Penn State the last two years.

Last edited:
I'm sure his completion % is his biggest negative.

Also, maybe many of us are just too close to the situation to see that there was a leadership issue behind closed doors. I mean, i've seen a few tweets from teammates supporting him, but I've yet to see the guys like Conklin, Allen and Calhoun really come out and scream in his defense.

Your guess is as good as mine but the character thing has to be way overblown. We follow this program extensively and there was no report of any transgression by cook. He may not be a natural leader but it's not like he has an long rap sheet or history of suspensions like other players drafted ahead of him.

Also, is being a vocal leader that important in the NFL? Do multimillionaires really respond well to rah rah stuff?

The character thing may be overblown but I think it is the main driver of his precipitous fall in the draft - unless his shoulder is shot but that doesn't seem to be the case based on what was published after the pro day. Stories like this take on a life of their own and it can easily get to the point where nobody wants to look bad taking a chance on a guy everyone thinks has personality flaws. At this point it looks like he's going to drop until some team sees him as a free option on his talent - seems like he's already there but we'll see.

At the NFL level, being a leader isn't about being the guy that takes the podium at the pep rally or gives the rah rah speeches. Leadership in the NFL is probably more about being the guy people trust and believe can get the job done.

Last edited:
Back