Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

msu v. michigan

personally i think it is not even going to be close. of course this is based on my extensive knowledge of msu and limited knowledge of michigan. no doubt hoke will be inspiring, but i think it will take a couple years for that team to come around. success is usually based on at least a couple years of hard work, and lets face it hoke hasnt had instant success at the other lower level teams he has coached. on the msu side, they may have a better team than they had last year. cousins drastically improved between his sophomore and junior seasons, and an improvement this year would have a huge effect. throw in another year of experience with the running backs and dion sims back on the team and their offense looks good. defense looks really good in most areas, with the question mark being how good their young linebackers will do. im guessing the score will be somewhere along the lines of last years game, with msu winning handily.

I agree with all you have said except the linebackers, even tho the youth of it I dont think it will be lacking, we have a stronger d-line and with the linebackers and dbacks I think our pass defense will be even more better than last year...I think the question is of the O-line, but then I recall some concerns last year with injuries and filling a couple vacant spots...but they had a solid year on the o-line, correct me if I am wrong I believe cousins had one of the best o-lines in the BIGTEN. I am very excited for this year more than likely wont see as many wins but I know we have a better team this year than last

If the wolverines can pressure Cousins like Iowa did then it will be close... If not then it will not.. The weakness of MSU will be the lines on both sides of the ball.. if they Jell early MSU will win 9-11 games again.. If they do not the win 8 to 9 games... The Iowa gamed showed that if you get after Cousins he is prone to mistakes.. But they are better then Michigan on paper... What is Michigan's X-factor.. Heck I am a Michigan fan and I just want to see a close game....LOL

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]If the wolverines can pressure Cousins like Iowa did then it will be close... If not then it will not.. The weakness of MSU will be the lines on both sides of the ball.. if they Jell early MSU will win 9-11 games again.. If they do not the win 8 to 9 games... The Iowa gamed showed that if you get after Cousins he is prone to mistakes.. But they are better then Michigan on paper... What is Michigan's X-factor.. Heck I am a Michigan fan and I just want to see a close game....LOL

LOL...hold on Bob the Illinois game was close...LOL
I'd say more like 8-9 game even if they gel early...I would probably rather them gel a little later (like around the start of Big10 play) and hold that tightness thought the season, but I do see what your are saying...UM's X-factor? How well the players buy into the system and the transition from differing football therories (for the players who went thru the coaching switch)

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]If the wolverines can pressure Cousins like Iowa did then it will be close... If not then it will not.. The weakness of MSU will be the lines on both sides of the ball.. if they Jell early MSU will win 9-11 games again.. If they do not the win 8 to 9 games... The Iowa gamed showed that if you get after Cousins he is prone to mistakes.. But they are better then Michigan on paper... What is Michigan's X-factor.. Heck I am a Michigan fan and I just want to see a close game....LOL

actually, i think the MSU d-line will be solid. Worthy, I think, is a bit overrated, but as a whole, I think they'll be good.

I just want to see a close game...My father in law and wife have been giving me the business as the should the last 3 years and I think MSU extends it to 4 but that will be it.. Won or lose this year Michigan will smoke MSU next season in Ann Arbor.. I do not think the streak hits 5 if MSU wins this year.. God i hope not....LOL

staegrac said:
I agree with all you have said except the linebackers, even tho the youth of it I dont think it will be lacking, we have a stronger d-line and with the linebackers and dbacks I think our pass defense will be even more better than last year...I think the question is of the O-line, but then I recall some concerns last year with injuries and filling a couple vacant spots...but they had a solid year on the o-line, correct me if I am wrong I believe cousins had one of the best o-lines in the BIGTEN. I am very excited for this year more than likely wont see as many wins but I know we have a better team this year than last

You're right, the O-line ( besides Foreman) is our biggest question mark. I hope they improve drastically from the spring game or Baker wont come close to 2000.

[color=#006400 said:

I think you're right about putting pressure on Cousins. He makes terrible decisions under duress. The O-line is questionable but I think we'll be alright on the D-line.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]I just want to see a close game...My father in law and wife have been giving me the business as the should the last 3 years and I think MSU extends it to 4 but that will be it.. Won or lose this year Michigan will smoke MSU next season in Ann Arbor.. I do not think the streak hits 5 if MSU wins this year.. God i hope not....LOL

A lot will depend on the development of Maxwell. IMO, he hasn't looked as sharp as his recruiting ranking suggested, of course he hasn't seen very much action so to early for any REAL judgment. The way Hoke is recruiting right now UM will be back very soon.

greenandwhite95 said:
[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]I just want to see a close game...My father in law and wife have been giving me the business as the should the last 3 years and I think MSU extends it to 4 but that will be it.. Won or lose this year Michigan will smoke MSU next season in Ann Arbor.. I do not think the streak hits 5 if MSU wins this year.. God i hope not....LOL

A lot will depend on the development of Maxwell. IMO, he hasn't looked as sharp as his recruiting ranking suggested, of course he hasn't seen very much action so to early for any REAL judgment. The way Hoke is recruiting right now UM will be back very soon.

I forgot about Maxwell. If he develops MSU is going to be tough.. Yeah the more you read about the MSU defensive line the more I get worried.. I should back off my Michigan will smoke MSU next year one way or another.. A win is a win is a win is all i am looking for..

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]
greenandwhite95 said:

We have Worthy leaving which will be huge shoes to fill but the defensive recuits MD seems to get and the he developes them does worry me to bad

I forgot about Maxwell. If he develops MSU is going to be tough.. Yeah the more you read about the MSU defensive line the more I get worried.. I should back off my Michigan will smoke MSU next year one way or another.. A win is a win is a win is all i am looking for..

Go 1-0 each week my friend, one game at a time

The Notre Dame game will be much tougher than the U of M game. This is the most talented squad I have seen at State since the 80s, just pro players waiting to happen all over the field. State is more talented than last year with the strengths being in order the D line, Offensive skill players, and the D Secondary. LB is young and talented, but lack experience. The O line is being re tooled, but they have anchors at guard and it seems like they re tool every year anyway. This is a team that is very deep with talent all across the field too. Deepest team I have ever seen in East Lansing.

All that being said, last season we won a couple games we might not win this year and we have a tougher schedule, so even though we are better on paper 11 wins does no look as likely. This team will win 9 or 10 games though and should beat U of M easily at home. U of M is a Wild Card though, with brand new systems they could struggle early, but then start to gel as the season goes on. Some experts are picking U of M to win as many as 8 games, I think 6 or 7 is more realistic. The schedule sets up nicely for them too, but the game in Spartan Stadium will be huge and a mad house.

GO GREEN!!!

This years Michigan-MSU game should go states way on paper. But, Michigan is a HUGE question mark.....I don't think anyone can say for sure or with any kind of certainty what's going to happen with this Michigan team. I've never been around a Michigan team with potential to be good and at the same time could just as easily flop (rich rod style). It all depends on the talent pool and how well they make the transition into a new system, new philosophy, and to new coaches. If I were betting money it would be on state, but you never know, Michigan could surprise if all those unknowns go their way. I'll definitely have a much stronger opinion by Oct. 15..........BTW, I'll be at that game......I've been to about 12 Michigan-MSU games but this will be my first in E Lansing (football, not hockey, I was at the "cold war" and the "big chill" for that matter).......looking forward to it.

state did not make a good case last night in terms of intimidation.

erg57 said:
state did not make a good case last night in terms of intimidation.
Give it time they are still adjusting with a lot of new starters on the o-line plus Baker has been slowed by a tweaked hamstring. Remember last year they struggled against FAU. Lets wait a couple weeks before going chicken little.

Well after seeing both teams play, neither was all that impressive. Youngstown showed State's weaknesses. Michigan was outplayed in the 1st half and still have a porous defense. State needs to improve or they could be in for a very disappointing season. If Michigan plays like that against the rest of their schedule, they'll be lucky to win 4 games.

Michigan definitely played better against a better opponent.. Take that for what its worth..

Watching Oregon vs LSU, wow, it's like watching another league versus watching Big Ten play today. No comparison in the level of play, the speed, the hitting, the physicality.

johnny2x2x said:
Watching Oregon vs LSU, wow, it's like watching another league versus watching Big Ten play today. No comparison in the level of play, the speed, the hitting, the physicality.

I thought this was common knowledge... The B1G isn't close to being there talent wise.

Back