Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stupid NFL

I love football...but you cant tell me the rules theyve established over the last decade hasnt slowed the game down to a snails pace.

I remember in high school doing sideline tackling and cover drills as a DB. We were literally taught to aim for the earhole. Flag!

Press coverage....taught to put your hand right under the shoulder pad and ride him into the dirt. FLAG!

50% of the secondary in the league at this point have to be lucky not to give up a reception or get a flag called them on each play. Its ridiculous.

Bring back the Night Train Lane neck tackle!
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...10-Most-Feared-Tacklers-Dick-Night-Train-Lane

Hardest NFL postion defensive back

Flag on the play the defender attempted to prevent the receiver from catching the ball, first down!

Last edited:
I love football...but you cant tell me the rules theyve established over the last decade hasnt slowed the game down to a snails pace.

I remember in high school doing sideline tackling and cover drills as a DB. We were literally taught to aim for the earhole. Flag!

Press coverage....taught to put your hand right under the shoulder pad and ride him into the dirt. FLAG!

50% of the secondary in the league at this point have to be lucky not to give up a reception or get a flag called them on each play. Its ridiculous.

I agree! Penalties are ridiculous but it's a different game now. Bitching about "how the game used to be played" makes you sound bitter and old. Trust me, I do it myself at times but i'm getting better with it lol.

I agree! Penalties are ridiculous but it's a different game now. Bitching about "how the game used to be played" makes you sound bitter and old. Trust me, I do it myself at times but i'm getting better with it lol.

When I do this my wife tells me "Go check the front lawn, there might be kids playing on it." Code for: "Stfu you cranky old man."

Last edited:
maybe more people are coming to the realization that the experience of being at a stadium (given the cost and effort) just isn't worth it. Just watch it on TV.

I love sports. Haven't been to a Pistons games since 1990. Red Wings game since 1997 (I'd go to check out the new stadium now). Lions game since 2002 (got free tickets and wanted to see Ford Field). Tigers game 2013 (nephew wanted everyone to go for his birthday).

It's just not a better experience for me to go see it in person....especially a football game. You miss more than you do if you are just watching on tv. Not worth all of the hassle or money to be at the game live. I'd rather either sit home or go to a bar and watch.

BTW the game I went to in 2002 was the Lions vs. the Cowboys. Lions won 9-7. It is still the worst football game I have ever seen in my life. That includes pee wee football or junior high. Both teams combined for 19 punts. It was just awful football.

I agree Football is better on tv. I think basketball is better in person . Hockey , and baseball for sure is better in person. All are to expensive. Glad I won free tickets to the Lions game because 83 bucks for end zone seats I wouldn’t be able to afford plus the free parking. I hope they play good . Seattle could be tough after the bye.

I have been able to watch movies and sports on progressively larger screen and HDTVs w/stereo surround sound since my first crude Dolby 4.1 setup in '92, and IMO, only attending live musical performances were more worthwhile....until the advent and spread of smartphones which have ruined the live experience. But I have been able to attend most of the concerts from artists and groups who I liked...mainly in the 20th century. I have no desire to attend early afternoon games @ CoPa in the heat and humidity of summer, and IMO, Tiger Stadium was a far better venue as far as affordability, distance from the action, and protection from the elements. But obviously it wasn't for football, compared to the Silverdome, where I attended many Lions games over the years, or Ford Field, which I have yet to visit, but plan to for the first time next year.

Last edited:
I agree Football is better on tv. I think basketball is better in person . Hockey , and baseball for sure is better in person. All are to expensive. Glad I won free tickets to the Lions game because 83 bucks for end zone seats I wouldn?t be able to afford plus the free parking. I hope they play good . Seattle could be tough after the bye.

Hockey can be great on TV but in person it's incredible. My favorite sport to have tickets - but alas I can't afford.

I have been able to watch movies and sports on progressively larger screen and HDTVs w/stereo surround sound since my first crude Dolby 4.1 setup in '92, and IMO, only attending live musical performances were more worthwhile....until the advent and spread of smartphones which have ruined the live experience. But I have been able to attend most of the concerts from artists and groups who I liked...mainly in the 20th century. I have no desire to attend early afternoon games @ CoPa in the heat and humidity of summer, and IMO, Tiger Stadium was a far better venue as far as affordability, distance from the action, and protection from the elements. But obviously it wasn't for football, compared to the Silverdome, where I attended many Lions games over the years, or Ford Field, which I have yet to visit, but plan to for the first time next year.

I remember in '84 I saw about 40 games at Tiger stadium .. sat in the bleachers $4. Can't see that many games for $160 these days. It was a great experience.

Hockey can be great on TV but in person it's incredible. My favorite sport to have tickets - but alas I can't afford.

Yeah I agree with. Sadly all are expensive to attend . I?m going to try and go to more minor league games. It?s just I don?t get very excited for minor league players. I think I will try A Grand Rapids drive game this year..

Back