Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mars

https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

2:15 p.m.—NASA will provide multiple feeds of live landing coverage of the Perseverance Mars Rover, leading up to the rover's landing at approximately 3:55 p.m. EST.

NASA TV coverage, with mission commentary, will be available on this page
A "clean" feed of views inside mission control and mission audio only, will be available on NASA TV's media channel and the JPLraw YouTube Channel
A 360-degree view inside mission control will be available on JPL's YouTube channel

Last edited:
I meant to watch live but internet was out all day still excited to watch it on YT after the fact..

First image right after landing, more better HD ones will come soon enough..

FLR_0000_0666952977_663ECM_T0010044AUT_04096_00_2I3J01-stretched.png

Here's a terraforming idea I'd never heard of before

https://phys.org/news/2017-03-nasa-magnetic-shield-mars-atmosphere.html

Here's the presentation this is based on at 1:36

https://livestream.com/viewnow/vision2050/videos/150701155

you'd need that first, right? without a magnetic shield, my understanding is that the solar wind would just burn at atmosphere right off a planet.

I've also seen some criticism of the whole "Mars colony" idea of it simply being a "technological prison" for anyone unfortunate enough to settle there. That's probably why Elon likes the idea so much

you'd need that first, right? without a magnetic shield, my understanding is that the solar wind would just burn at atmosphere right off a planet.

I've also seen some criticism of the whole "Mars colony" idea of it simply being a "technological prison" for anyone unfortunate enough to settle there. That's probably why Elon likes the idea so much

Matt Damon went to Mars. Maybe he knows.

Last edited:
Matt Damon went to Mars. Maybe he knows.
I read part of the book. I couldn't finish because the dialogue was so bad.

Maybe not Top Gun bad, but "that's not how people really talk" bad. Or maybe if you go to Mars, you lose the ability to speak well.

But anyways, I saw a comment that living on Mars, sans terraforming, would be as lousy as living in the space station: you're basically a lab rat, with a team of hundreds of people necessary to provide the monitoring and support to keep you alive.

I didn't think there would be enough atmosphere to support flight on Mars.

I wondered how that worked. Maybe you don't need much to fly a helicopter

I read part of the book. I couldn't finish because the dialogue was so bad.

Maybe not Top Gun bad, but "that's not how people really talk" bad. Or maybe if you go to Mars, you lose the ability to speak well.

But anyways, I saw a comment that living on Mars, sans terraforming, would be as lousy as living in the space station: you're basically a lab rat, with a team of hundreds of people necessary to provide the monitoring and support to keep you alive.

Space travel movies and TV is just not in my wheelhouse. I prefer movies and books that are grounded.

Yeah. It's easy to look back at history and see analogies to company run boom towns of the past. If you sign a contract with a company that takes you to Mars to do some job, you could easily 'owe your soul to the company store' in no time.

Back