Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What are your favorite Atheist...

b311j

Podcast(s)?

Book(s)?

I listen to The Scathing Atheist, The Thinking Atheist, and Dogma Debate.

Read the usual -- Hitchens, Dawkins, etc

I've read a lot of Sam Harris and listen to his podcasts whenever I can. The Thinking Atheist is really good, but his voice puts me to sleep. He's close to Morgan Freeman level with that. There's also a podcast by Myles Powers that I like. I think it's the League of Nerds or something like that.

Mostly, I like Atheist Youtubers. More entertaining and usually much shorter discussions.

-43alley - hasn't done anything for a couple years, but his videos were some of the first i discovered after becoming an atheist and really, really helped me get rid of any second thoughts I might have. Highly recommend a video of his entitled, "Realizing Hell Does Not Exist"

-AronRa - He's a little boring, but he knows his shit and isn't afraid to confront people on the street or at religious protests.

-Atheism-is-Unstoppable - The guy is a total dick. He's done some questionable things on Youtube, but when you strip away the IDGAF attitude and personal attacks, he's right about most topics.

-Bearing - More of an anti-SJW, anti-feminist, but he does do a lot of atheist content. He can be rude, but usually you have to deserve it.

-ComsicSkeptic - The kid is like 17/18 years old, really learned, and dismantles every single topic in a way that can be understood be even the least educated atheist.

- Martymer 81 -Seems more like a high school teacher than a Youtuber, but he does a good job. He mostly reacts and responds to religious bullshit, but also debunks conspiracy theories and alternative sciences.

-The Bible Reloaded - Two guys that are originally from Michigan. They started out as a channel dedicated to reading from the bible and then discussing it from an atheist perspective. Since then, they've added reviews of religious movies and mocking chick tracts. They do get a bit off track sometimes with humor, but that doesn't kill it for me. Also, they are currently engaged in a lawsuit against the God's Not Dead people for filing false copyright claims against them and other youtubers.

nothing in particular drove me to atheism, other than a curious nature and seeking answers to things I didn't get from a religious upbringing. or that I was taught by my religious upbringing, but found inapplicable or directly counter to the reality of the world I lived in.

I read (most of) Nietzsche's "Beyond Good and Evil" when I was 18 or so, but I don't remember it being an Earth-shattering epiphany, more like a confirmation of things I suspected about morality.

later on -in my mid 20's - I read Richard Dawkins' "The Selfish Gene" and the section on the best scientific explanation for the origin of life on Earth pretty much clinched it for me. no god or gods needed for that one.

since then, among others, I read "Why I am not a Christian" by Bertrand Russell. That book might best encompass my thinking on the topic, on society, etc. If I had to point someone to one single book to read about everything, it would be that one.

I don't listen to any podcasts because I don't have time. Monster, the last one on your list sounds kinda great though.

I don't really go for the stuff that is antagonistic to religion/religious people. I don't think its warranted except when they open themselves up for mockery by rubbing their beliefs in our face. I don't have any axe to grind or anything to prove, and I kinda got over the shock value of telling people I am an atheist a long time ago. I try to keep it to myself. (edit: at least in person... though online I've also toned it down a bit).

And I've never read Sam Harris, but am aware of some of the things he and Hitchens said about Islam. I don't agree with how they single it out as particularly harmful. I think that lends itself to a lot of pro-war and anti-islam propaganda from our government and related actors like the think tanks that push for war in the middle east. And the behavior of Sam Harris' followers online, mobbing and attacking anyone who criticises him is a turn off. I'm not looking to join a new religion as some of them seem to be, with Sam Harris as their messiah.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think atheist topics should be under the religion section. I don't think atheism is a religion or should be.

we should get our own section. it should be called "truth."

yes. I am serious.

And the behavior of Sam Harris' followers online, mobbing and attacking anyone who criticises him is a turn off. I'm not looking to join a new religion as some of them seem to be, with Sam Harris as their messiah.

For rills.

The pursuit of "atheist affirmation" sounds as much like the pursuit to prove atheism is true as the pursuit of believers to pursue proof that a particular religion is true, as religion is itself.

Atheism is a philosophy and a belief structure, that is just as un-provable to be true as any other un-provable thing.

Assuming that every religion is full of shit - which I do, for the most part, except for culturally important customs - doesn't disprove the possibility of a creator or a higher power.

When it comes to religion, I'm like..."I don't know if there's a higher power or not, but as far as religion, I pretty much don't believe any of it, for the most part...but believe whatever you want; it's a free country, brother..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvtbRfne3cA

Last edited:
Atheism is a philosophy and a belief structure, that is just as un-provable to be true as any other un-provable thing.

Wouldnt you agree the onus of proof falls with the claimant? Until any god can be shown to actually exist, it is the assertion there is a god that is un-provable and not atheism.

Wouldnt you agree the onus of proof falls with the claimant? Until any god can be shown to actually exist, it is the assertion there is a god that is un-provable and not atheism.

So go ahead and don't believe people who claim there's a higher power. Knock yourself out. No one is stopping you. It's a free country.

To me logically both are unprovable.

So go ahead and don't believe people who claim there's a higher power. Knock yourself out. No one is stopping you. It's a free country.

Do you also go around insisting that Barney the Dinosaur might be real and not a guy in a costume? After all you can't conclusively prove he's not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Atheism can not be disproved. Even if a god came down from the Heavens and showed us all that it existed, Atheism is not something that can be untrue. It is not a philosophy nor is it a religion. Atheism simply answers the question, "Do you believe in God?" Even if that god proved itself, if you were to say, "I still don't believe you exist," you'd be an atheist.

Do you also go around insisting that Barney the Dinosaur might be real and not a guy in a costume? After all you can't conclusively prove he's not.

I don't go around claiming that, no.

I'm pretty sure it's actually a guy in a dinosaur costume and yeah you could pretty conclusively prove that to be true, if you just took a plug of the guys he
hair and did a DNA sample and it demonstrated that he was from the species Homo sapiens and not from some extent reptilian species.

Which is what I think a DNA test would show.

Atheism can not be disproved. Even if a god came down from the Heavens and showed us all that it existed, Atheism is not something that can be untrue. It is not a philosophy nor is it a religion. Atheism simply answers the question, "Do you believe in God?" Even if that god proved itself, if you were to say, "I still don't believe you exist," you'd be an atheist.

Of course.

Just like it can't be disproved that there are people who believe in a higher power - of course religions are real and believers are real and atheists are real.

Just like agnostics, who really neither believe nor deny, are real also.

Last edited:
Of course.

Just like it can't be disproved that there are people who believe in a higher power - of course religions are real and believers are real and atheists are real.

Just like agnostics, who really neither believe nor deny, are real also.

Unless you are a brain in a jar and you are the only person. Then all these types of people don't exist. Well, one type exists...you. But the rest are out.

Unless you are a brain in a jar and you are the only person. Then all these types of people don't exist. Well, one type exists...you. But the rest are out.

For much of his life, John Clayton, Lord Greystoke, had no idea that there were any other human beings in the world. He didn't even know that he himself was a human being.

Of course, he's a fictional character, just like the brains in the jars in the movies Frankenstein and Young Frankenstein were also fictional.

For much of his life, John Clayton, Lord Greystoke, had no idea that there were any other human beings in the world. He didn't even know that he himself was a human being.

Of course, he's a fictional character, just like the brains in the jars in the movies Frankenstein and Young Frankenstein were also fictional.

Also fictional: me, if you're a brain in a jar. I hope you're not. I like thinking I'm real.

Back