Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

5 Favorite NBA players from my youth

byco42

5. Dave Bing
4. Gail Goodrich
3. Bob Lanier
2. Jerry West
1. Pistol

What are yours?

5) John Crotty
4) Jud Bucheler
3) Dunkin Don Reid
2) Bison Dele
1) Chucky Atkins

Bob Lanier was #1 for me. Followed by Dr. J. Terry Tyler, that guy could jump and rebound like no one's business back then.

5. Amare Stoudemire
4. John Stockton
3. Chauncey Billups
2. Grant Hill
1. Steve Nash (obviously)

5) John Crotty
4) Jud Bucheler
3) Dunkin Don Reid
2) Bison Dele
1) Chucky Atkins

Lot of those names from my earliest memories when I was a young Pistons fan. Loved Lindsey Hunter too as an 8ish year old. I seem to remember them losing to the Hawks in the first round being my first memory.

Last edited:
5. Dave Bing
4. Gail Goodrich
3. Bob Lanier
2. Jerry West
1. Pistol

What are yours?

I'm right-handed but when I was a kid I practiced a lot with my left and modeled my shot after Goodrich. Beautiful stroke. Another lefty I emulated was Dave Cowens. I got pretty good with my left.

Top five for me in no particular order are:

1. Havlicek - Constant motion off the ball
2. David Thompson - High Flyer
3. Sam Jones - Seemed never to miss a shot
4. Bill Russell - The Man
5. Ernie DeGregorio - Magician with the ball

Followed Thompson and DeGregorio while they were in college primarily as opposed to the pros. I was in High School at the time but I guess that still counts as my youth. The others were from an earlier time but I was a fan early on. And yes, I was a big Celtics fan. Hated the Lakers and 76ers.

35 seconds of Ernie D if you don't know who he is or not familiar with his game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTOtagUtJ8k

Last edited:
Zeek
Dumars
George "Iceman" Gervin
Dominique Wilkins
Lafayette Lever

DISCLAIMER: These were my favorites as a kid. Owned their jerseys (lol). Oh boy...

1.) Anfernee 'Penny' Hardaway
2.) Grant Hill
3.) Tim Hardaway
4.) Gary Payton
5.) Hakeem Olajuwon

1. Michael Jordan
2. Scottie Pippen
3. Chris Webber
4. Mitch Richmond
5. Charles Barkley (Suns version)

1. Joe Dumars
2. Dave Bing
3. Bob Lanier
4. Ben Wallace
5. Elvin Hayes. BIG E!!!

I remember doing Big E's turnaround base baseline shot all the time as a kid.

Back