Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Verlander traded to Houston, TJ Surgery, Wins 2 WS, Wins 3rd Cy Young Now a Met

I heard about Upton last night. I didn't hear about JV until I got up this AM. I didn't think they were going to do it. While I understand that many fans will be upset, I think it's the right move. I really enjoyed and appreciated what he did and will be rooting for him to get a ring. He wasn't going to get one here.

I hope that the Ilitch family is prepared for the fallout in acres of empty seats, esp if Miggy doesn't bounce back from his worst season as a Tiger. They also may have negatively affected their bargaining chips in negotiating a new TV contract. Esp b/c cable/satellite TV has been losing subscribers in droves, I cut the cord out of cost necessity after the '12 season.

But they splurged on a new facility for the Red Wings, who missed the playoffs for the first time in 25 years last season, and due to the cap, aren't very likely to repeat their glory years of the mid-90s-00s.

I still remember going to my first Tigers game @ CoPa during its inaugural season of '00, and feeling completely disconnected to the team, and resenting all of the references to Tigers teams/players who never performed there. Although CoPa has created its own special history since, this fire-sale with the same fools at the helm, is likely going to make me feel emotionally detached yet again.

Last edited:
Sad to see him go, was the heart of the tigers for over a decade and was absolute must watch sports for several years. Having said that this was the correct decision. He's not getting any younger, this team needed a complete overhaul, he wasn't going to want to be part of a long painful rebuild, and he deserves another shot at a World Series. I don't really care if a guy is on the same team his whole career. Is it nice to say that, sure, but at the end of the day it's a business and this makes business sense.

Sad to see him go, was the heart of the tigers for over a decade and was absolute must watch sports for several years. Having said that this was the correct decision. He's not getting any younger, this team needed a complete overhaul, he wasn't going to want to be part of a long painful rebuild, and he deserves another shot at a World Series. I don't really care if a guy is on the same team his whole career. Is it nice to say that, sure, but at the end of the day it's a business and this makes business sense.

Little more upset than I thought I'd be. Sad to see him go. Houston is now my 2nd favorite team and I will follow them through the playoffs!

Thanks for the memories, #35!

Just like all Detroit Tigers fans, I'm sad to see Verlander go, however I also think this was a necessary move. I have questions whether or not the overall haul of prospects we got for this trade (and all of the other ones this year) is the best we could have done with another GM running the show, but the one thing I know for certain is this team was not going to win a WS title anytime soon. I don't care about making the playoffs as a wildcard or "competing " into September. All i want is a championship. So hopefully 2-3 of the dozen prospects we collected this year turn out to be good players, and in a few years time we have a core of some young guys. I don't know if that will happen, bur that's the hope..:

Well,fk. I'm probebly not going to watch much of the final 30 games now and if miggy goes in the off season I might just be done for years to come

The Tigers have been losing money for years. While they were/are losing money (and other teams are making millions), they are not putting it into infrastructure and player development. It all adds up. This contributes to the Tigers farm system being one of the worst, if not the worst.

People honestly think people who are rich can spend the money anyways. Most didn't get rich by making bad business decisions. While I am all for supporting my wife's business ventures, I am not going to jeopardize my retirement in the process. It is a fine line sometimes.

Now, based on what they originally had as a payroll going into 2017, DET was going to lose roughly $60 Mil (including the payroll tax). While they still are probably going to lose money in 2017, it is closer to break even mark. It's one thing to lose money and be in the hunt. Is another to lose $60 Mil for the 2nd worse team in the AL. Additionally, losing money effects franchise value.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard any updates on the DET TV deal. It cannot be good news. And these past 2 deals certainly don't help.

To them it's like losing a fiver. The tigers are a very small thing when compared to their other large holdings.. Granted no one wants to lose money every year but it is honestly just small potatoes.

This fire-sale would be faar easier to stomach, had even one of the contending Tigers teams over the past 11 seasons, won a WS championship, but all we got were humiliating exits in the postseason, regardless of how deep that each went.

Last edited:
People honestly think people who are rich can spend the money anyways. Most didn't get rich by making bad business decisions. While I am all for supporting my wife's business ventures, I am not going to jeopardize my retirement in the process. It is a fine line sometimes.

No LLC?

Well,fk. I'm probebly not going to watch much of the final 30 games now and if miggy goes in the off season I might just be done for years to come

Don't worry...Miggy isn't going anywhere. NOBODY would take that contract with the way he played this year and his potential back issues.

Don't worry...Miggy isn't going anywhere. NOBODY would take that contract with the way he played this year and his potential back issues.

If Miggy gets healthy and has a good first half next season you might be able to get rid of him, but you'd have to pay some cash too.

Sanchez comes off the books this off season right? I think V Mart retire. Zimmerman will be the only bad contract left if all that happens.

If Miggy gets healthy and has a good first half next season you might be able to get rid of him, but you'd have to pay some cash too.

Sanchez comes off the books this off season right? I think V Mart retire. Zimmerman will be the only bad contract left if all that happens.

Detroit didn't help themselves when our stupid manager says his back is a career one.

Yeah, cause other teams wouldn't give him a physical before trading for him.

Wat does that got to do with it though. Doesn't mean he can't pass a physical.. But who just announces it to the world? The same thing when Avila said "every thing goes" back in Nov-December..

Yeah, cause other teams wouldn't give him a physical before trading for him.

Did the Tigers give Mr Misty May Treanor a physical, prior to signing him to a $750K contract as a backup C?

b/c he had back/hip problems prior, and lasted all of one month, before going on the DL, never to return.

Last edited:
I could care less what type of money our billionaire owners are saving in the jv deal we should have gotten one or two of the BEST PROSPECTS the Astros had period!! This deal stinks.

First time, in a long time, Detroit was in full rebuild mode. And honestly it stinks. Can't imagine how they play next season.. I figured maybe we'd have to be in full tank mode like Houston did for a few years (110+ losses).. But I have absolutely no faith the Tigers can draft well enough to make it happen.

I could care less what type of money our billionaire owners are saving in the jv deal we should have gotten one or two of the BEST PROSPECTS the Astros had period!! This deal stinks.

Quantity trumps quality in Avilaworld, apparently, they need to swell the ranks of their farm system, and gut payroll, pronto, perhaps to lure potential near future ballclub buyers. The prospects that they got are not ready for primetime anytime soon, but each are looking pretty good in the minors so far.

Last edited:
Did the Tigers give Mr Misty May Treanor a physical, prior to signing him to a $750K contract as a backup C?

b/c he had back/hip problems prior, and lasted all of one month, before going on the DL, never to return.

Gambling on a backup catcher vs acquiring a massive contract connected to a broken down body. You really making this comparison?

Back