Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

3 drops in the endzone vs Pittsburgh

tedrop.gif

Thanks.

This shows exactly what I said. This isn't even that hard of a play to dissect.

Yes it was a good throw. Yes he should have caught it. However it was influenced by the defense, not just a straight drop, and it was thrown to a TE not known for being a great receiving TE.

Our #1 WR was wide open for the easiest 1st down possible, and with his running ability, looks like a likely TD too.

Hard to deny that with video in the thread now.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Yes it was a good throw. Yes he should have caught it. However it was influenced by the defense, not just a straight drop, and it was thrown to a TE not known for being a great receiving TE.

Our #1 WR was wide open for the easiest 1st down possible, and with his running ability, looks like a likely TD too.

but he is the best receiving TE on the Lions

Stafford made several good red zone throws that should have been touchdowns. That's the point. You need to analyze the throw which was a good one. Drops or great defense prevented Stafford from getting TD glory and the Lions win. Stafford played great. End of story.

If anything it disproves your theory that there wasn't a guy on him. Catch-able or not is irrelevant.

Lol. I never said there wasn't a guy on him, jackass. I said he had position on his defender. Catch the damn ball!!

Try and keep up lol

it looks like #28 breaks up the play causing the incomplete pass

The ball is placed perfectly

it does look like there was a guy wide open around the 10 yard line

#28 never broke the play up. Fells dropped it, plain and simple...

Thanks.

It was a straight drop though. Fells never had control of the ball lol

Last edited:
Completely irrelevant to where and who he should have thrown the ball. It was a good decision and Fells dropped the football. The hate for #9 on this board shines like a beacon lol. It's absolutely fkn pathetic...

#28 never broke the play up. Fells dropped it, plain and simple...

it kind of looked like he did but I'm not 100% sure. The pass was placed in the perfect spot. The choice to throw it to Fells over a wide open Tate was the only thing that can be second guessed but Matt had about 1/2 a second to make that decision.

it kind of looked like he did but I'm not 100% sure. The pass was placed in the perfect spot. The choice to throw it to Fells over a wide open Tate was the only thing that can be second guessed but Matt had about 1/2 a second to make that decision.

I get all that but it's not like Stafford threw it into double coverage. Fells had position on the defender and it was dropped. Let's not forget, Tate is a fkn midget and Stafford probably never seen him coming across the middle. We'll never know. All I know is that it was a perfectly thrown ball that Fells comes down with 9/10 times. You could see the frustration in Fells after that drop. He knew he should have had it.

Not sure Tate is as wide open as everyone suggests. The throw to Fells influences #22 to move in that direction, instead of coming up on Tate. Where were Fells and Tate in the progression? Fells was likely before Tate. He was open, and he dropped it.

Not sure Tate is as wide open as everyone suggests. The throw to Fells influences #22 to move in that direction, instead of coming up on Tate. Where were Fells and Tate in the progression? Fells was likely before Tate. He was open, and he dropped it.

Tate was covered when the ball was thrown but then got wide open after. It was a good decision by Stafford and a drop by Fells

There were also several other drops. Marvin Jones dropped a big one too

Not sure. He was influenced by Fells for sure, this frame from Stafford still on his drop back, show #22 is clearly turning to run with fells. Leaving the middle of the field wide open.

frame_21_delay-0.1s.gif

Completely irrelevant to where and who he should have thrown the ball. It was a good decision and Fells dropped the football. The hate for #9 on this board shines like a beacon lol. It's absolutely fkn pathetic...

You get paid to be the one of the best he should play like it.. Not someone who has so many off days. He's inconsistent as heck.. He deserves all the hate he gets. And you see what others already see when last week you posted "I almost wish we didn't resign him." Build the defense up.. instead of trying to draft pieces and trade for pieces to help our QB out. Minny is a good example. Upcoming draft, all picks should be defense. Following year too.

Not sure. He was influenced by Fells for sure, this frame from Stafford still on his drop back, show #22 is clearly turning to run with fells. Leaving the middle of the field wide open.

frame_21_delay-0.1s.gif

That shows Tate is blanketed at that point. With illegal contact too

Another image at release confirms. Guy originally on Tate was sitting in Zone, allowing him to release to the middle of the field. He's actually shuffling towards the sideline.

frame_27_delay-0.1s.gif

Again I'm not saying Stafford made a bad throw. He made a very good tough throw. Fells went up to get the ball, but between his hands and the defender contact fractions of a second after the ball hitting his hands, it's a difficult catch for a TE not known for his hands.

frame_39_delay-0.1s.gif

frame_40_delay-0.1s.gif

That shows Tate is blanketed at that point. With illegal contact too

At that point, I think the defender is still allowed to engage the offensive player since he is only 4 yards off the line of scrimmage

At that point, I think the defender is still allowed to engage the offensive player since he is only 4 yards off the line of scrimmage

You can contact but you can't hold like he was doing in the shot

Back