Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Kenny Willekes should be All B1G 1st team

johnny2x2x

DE with 67 tackles, 14.5 TFLs (11 solo), and 7.0 sacks (all solo).

Statistically he's had the best season of any lineman in the conference. Hope he doesn't get slighted because he used to be a walk on. Because he and Winovich from Michigan are easily the best DEs statistically in the conference.

Willekes is a great story, but I’m not going that far with what he’s done. 4 of his 6(not 7) sacks came against Michigan and Maryland in shit weather. Hasn’t forced any fumbles yet either. He’s a very good player, but I’d ease up on too much hype.

Willekes is a great story, but I?m not going that far with what he?s done. 4 of his 6(not 7) sacks came against Michigan and Maryland in shit weather. Hasn?t forced any fumbles yet either. He?s a very good player, but I?d ease up on too much hype.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2017-2018/plyr_48.html

He has 7 sacks. 2 recovered fumbles and 1 forced fumble. His 14.5 TFLs are no fluke, guy is always around the ball. 67 tackles is really really high for a DE.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2017-2018/plyr_48.html

He has 7 sacks. 2 recovered fumbles and 1 forced fumble. His 14.5 TFLs are no fluke, guy is always around the ball. 67 tackles is really really high for a DE.

Didn't have a chance to really look until now and after looking closer it was what I had thought.

We've played 4 games in shit weather. Michigan, Minnesota, PSU and Maryland.

Willekes in those 4 games- 10 tackles for loss and 7 sacks

Willekes in 7 fair weather games- 4 1/2 tackles for loss and 0 sacks.

He's been good, but that's kind of an odd stat.

Man, looking at the big ten leaders, it's really a shitty year for DE's on a stat level.

It's not just weather. Willekes is WAAAAAYYYY undersized. He has some decent numbers against marginal B1G teams but he's too small to be effective at DE against real competition whether it's pissing rain or the sun is shining bright with no wind. He did nothing in non-conference, and probably caught uofm off guard - I doubt anyone took him seriously, plus michigan's offensive line sucks.

Statistically, he may deserve 1st team all conference - good for him. But that says more about B1G DEs in general than it does about Kenny Willikes. He's no Julian Peterson, that's for sure. And would anyone take him over Calhoun or Gholston? Neither was a real world beater but you'd be out of your mind if you said you'd take Kenny Willikes over either of them.

Last edited:
Back