Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Holding calls in the Big Ten

Every game, there are a few plays that decide the outcome. You cannot tell me with a straight face that the missed INT wasn't a massive shift in that game.

Get that pick up 14-0, at the very least you stem the tide of their momentum. Could potentially go back down and score. Or, drop it, and they score the next play. That was a HUGE swing.

I get it, refs suck. Win the game. Excuses wear thin.

Last edited:
Every game, there are a few plays that decide the outcome. You cannot tell me with a straight face that the missed INT wasn't a massive shift in that game.

Get that pick up 14-0, at the very least you stem the tide of their momentum. Could potentially go back down and score. Or, drop it, and they score the next play. That was a HUGE swing.

no one has said otherwise.

This thread is to discuss the GLARING lack of holding calls against our opponents the last 2 years.

If you want to discuss (or more likely just whine about...) why we lost last Saturday, make your own thread.

I get it, refs suck. Win the game. Excuses wear thin.

No one is making excuses. We're just pointing out bad calls.

OR get the pick, Kornball throws a pick6 the very next play...same result. Huge momentum swing!!

no one has said otherwise.

This thread is to discuss the GLARING lack of holding calls against our opponents the last 2 years.

If you want to discuss (or more likely just whine about...) why we lost last Saturday, make your own thread.

yep

It's not like Harbaugh or the players are saying this stuff. Other people are saying it. No on on the team is trying to say they lost any game, because of the refs. No one is blaming any loss in the last 2 years on the refs.

That being said, us fans can talk about whatever we want. We can make excuses. We can't go win the game. Sounds so stupid to say, you fans need to shut up about the refs and go win the game. Get outta here with that crap!! We aren't using lack of holding calls as an excuse for anything, but we could if we wanted to. We're fans!

Weird, I remember 3 holding calls on MSU when we played you, the last of which was garbage and gave UM a chance to get the ball back as it was declined but stopped the clock.

How about the hands to the face by UM right in front of the ref ignored on Crawford's long catch and run? Or the delay of game totally missed on another key UM passing play for a 1st down.

I'd bet you OSU fans can easily fond a dozen or more calls missed that went against them in that game Saturday. But this must be the Michigan Difference you all are always droning on about.

UM was about middle of the pack for penalties for and against this year, but carry on explaining away the mediocre season.

This is rich coming from you.

Sure, and all it is, is bitching. Elite programs deal with this shit and overcome. This only seems to happen to Michigan. Every season, without fail, it's some combination of excuses, tough breaks, and officiating that explains why Michigan falls short.

Sick of it. Just fucking win something.

Sure, and all it is, is bitching. Elite programs deal with this shit and overcome. This only seems to happen to Michigan. Every season, without fail, it's some combination of excuses, tough breaks, and officiating that explains why Michigan falls short.

Sick of it. Just fucking win something.

This topic is about how one of the best defenses in the big 10 barely got any holding calls thrown against the offenses while they were on the field for an entire season. I think it's very odd that Michigan draws very few holding calls throughout an entire season. Maybe you don't. Other fans in this thread think it's odd.

We, as fans, have discussed various personnel issues, coaching issues, and now we are discussing this topic. Saying, "quit bitching and just win something" doesn't really address what this topic is discussing.

I think you've become the worst troll on this board. Trying to derail threads with your own agendas.

In fact, saying "just win" doesn't contribute anything at all to this board. If you don't like this topic, start a new thread, so you can talk about how the team should just win. Hopefully, a player sees it and takes heart for the game next season.

Meanwhile, us fans just can't go just win, as we don't play the game and there isn't another game to just win for quite a while.

Run the football and this thread is irrelevant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eh whatever. I don't have an agenda. I just see these threads, and that symbolizes everything this fan base is known for.

This shit needs context. If you bring this to the middle ground, even if it's a holding call or two worse than the average big ten team they get "fucked" on, is that really a big difference? In your world of one play can't make a game, would even 2-3 less holding calls a game make a difference in a single game?

Where were these calls made or not made? What point in the game? What was the score line? Was it on a 1st and 5, 2nd and 13? Give me some context.

Instead, tweets like this are made, Michigan fans get up in arms, and then it's back to the safe, comfortable logic that we all love. Which is, there's always SOMETHING ELSE other than looking inside as to why this team can't win.

Last edited:
Eh whatever. I don't have an agenda. I just see these threads, and that symbolizes everything this fan base is known for.

This shit needs context. If you bring this to the middle ground, even if it's a holding call or two worse than the average big ten team they get "fucked" on, is that really a big difference? In your world of one play can't make a game, would even 2-3 less holding calls a game make a difference in a single game?

Where were these calls made or not made? What point in the game? What was the score line? Was it on a 1st and 5, 2nd and 13? Give me some context.

Instead, tweets like this are made, Michigan fans get up in arms, and then it's back to the safe, comfortable logic that we all love. Which is, there's always SOMETHING ELSE other than looking inside as to why this team can't win.

I think every fan base is similar. They watch a game and only see the calls that don't go their way but gloss over the calls that go their way. Go to any game thread on the Tigers or Lions board...Tigers pitchers getting squeezed, non holding, PI calls on the Lions board but these same fans don't pay attention to the other side of the ball.

Sure, but those fan bases, at least for a good amount of schools, can point to recent accomplishments. Michigan can't. So it's amplified and sounds a lot worse on our end.

Not a single person is saying that. Not a single person is saying, "we would've won more games with more holding calls."

I think every fan base is similar. They watch a game and only see the calls that don't go their way but gloss over the calls that go their way. Go to any game thread on the Tigers or Lions board...Tigers pitchers getting squeezed, non holding, PI calls on the Lions board but these same fans don't pay attention to the other side of the ball.

That's not what is being discussed here. Someone found it odd that one of the best d lines in the big 10 drew 2 holding calls over the course of an entire season.

That's not what is being discussed here. Someone found it odd that one of the best d lines in the big 10 drew 2 holding calls over the course of an entire season.

yea..the thread did get derailed.

back to the original point.

"It's a stunning stat that's been making the rounds on Monday: per Toronto Sun columnist John Kryk, in the past two seasons of Big Ten Conference play, Michigan's opponents have only been penalized twice for offensive holding.

Twice. Against a Michigan team that's led the conference in sacks and tackles for loss both years."

Maybe they lead the conference in sacks and tackles for loss because they aren't being held ;)

yea..the thread did get derailed.

back to the original point.

"It's a stunning stat that's been making the rounds on Monday: per Toronto Sun columnist John Kryk, in the past two seasons of Big Ten Conference play, Michigan's opponents have only been penalized twice for offensive holding.

Twice. Against a Michigan team that's led the conference in sacks and tackles for loss both years."

Maybe they lead the conference in sacks and tackles for loss because they aren't being held ;)

Yes, it got derailed by Dubbs and his other agenda. That is what I was referring to over and over.

"in the past two seasons"

So it's even worse than I thought. That is two holding calls in 17 conference games. You might be onto something, though...

Back