Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

vs LSU in the Citrus Bowl

johnny2x2x

Holiday Bowl vs Wazzu, Holiday Bowl had first pick this year.

Barring epic blowouts in the SEC or Big Ten Title games this is looking very likely.

I love it. Way better than if we got Mississippi State or South Carolina in the Outback. LSU is a run first team and we stop the run. Unlike previous seasons though, LSU does have an adequate passing game this year, Etling throws a good deep ball.

Most to gain by playing LSU IMO. A loss to LSU is not bad either. Beating LSU in a bowl would give us a ton of momentum heading into the off season and next year.

Other 2 options are USCeast or MSUsouth in the Outback. Boring matchups vs worse teams, beating them does little for the program, losing to them hurts us.

Remote chance at the Holiday Bowl, which despite not being New Year's day I would also like a lot. Stanford or Washington would be possible opponents, both are great teams with good names.

IMO, Citrus>>>Holiday>Outback this year.

Last edited:
On ESPN both of the guys have MSU going to the Outback Bowl. One vs Miss St and the other vs South Carolina (not that they are going to be right)

On ESPN both of the guys have MSU going to the Outback Bowl. One vs Miss St and the other vs South Carolina (not that they are going to be right)

Only way we go to the Outback Bowl is if Ohio State wins tomorrow and finished 5th in the Playoff Standings, that would dictate that they go to the Orange Bowl, and there's a rule that if the Big Ten is in the Orange the Big Ten cannot be in the Citrus.

If that happens, MSU gets the Outback, Northwestern gets the Holiday Bowl, and UM gets a Tier 2 Bowl.

Citrus vs LSU is most likely, Outback vs Mississippi State or South Carolina is the only other option.

Only way we go to the Outback Bowl is if Ohio State wins tomorrow and finished 5th in the Playoff Standings, that would dictate that they go to the Orange Bowl, and there's a rule that if the Big Ten is in the Orange the Big Ten cannot be in the Citrus.

If that happens, MSU gets the Outback, Northwestern gets the Holiday Bowl, and UM gets a Tier 2 Bowl.

Citrus vs LSU is most likely, Outback vs Mississippi State or South Carolina is the only other option.

I don't know...just going off what those guys projected.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...eek-13-college-football-bowl-projections-2017

They both have OSU playing USC in the Fiesta Bowl. One has PSU vs Miami in the Orange Bowl and MSU in the Outback bowl vs. SC. Maybe he doesn't know the rule you are talking about. I never heard about it.

I don't know...just going off what those guys projected.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...eek-13-college-football-bowl-projections-2017

They both have OSU playing USC in the Fiesta Bowl. One has PSU vs Miami in the Orange Bowl and MSU in the Outback bowl vs. SC. Maybe he doesn't know the rule you are talking about. I never heard about it.

If PSU is in the Orange Bowl then the Big Ten wouldn't be in the Citrus and yes, we would get the Outback. but the Orange has to take the highest ranked ACC not in the playoffs and the highest ranked team from any other conference not in the playoffs. So, if Wisky wins, Bama probably goes to the Orange. If OSU wins, Bama probably goes to the playoffs and Ohio State to the Orange.

I don’t see how OSU makes the playoff. They got blasted twice this year and also crushed last year when they made the playoff.

I don?t see how OSU makes the playoff. They got blasted twice this year and also crushed last year when they made the playoff.

Last year really shouldn't matter but it might in committee members minds. If the argument against PSU last year was that they got blown out in their losses, I don't see that not hurting OSU. I would love to see a playoff without Bama though

OSU has gotten the benefit of the doubt twice when on the playoff bubble. One year it worked out. Last year not so much. I feel like Alabama is the better team, but don't like the idea of them getting in. All the reasons anyone can give boil down to OSU's loss to Iowa more than anything Bama achieved, and taking the injury excuse as far as it can go (how they were banged up vs Auburn, how FSU at 6-6 is REALLY a top 10 team if Francois is healthy), as if they're the only team with injuries.

And then the next best team anyone can come up with USC has a 35 point loss on their resume. Hell, just give it to UCF.

Last edited:
I don?t see how OSU makes the playoff. They got blasted twice this year and also crushed last year when they made the playoff.

I agree. If the committee REALLY wants the best 4 teams in.....it's Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia and Alabama.

I have no desire to see OSU get ass fucked by Clemson again.

To me.....they need to decide between Bama and UCF. Bama gives Clemson a better opponent but UCF makes the more intriguing game.

I agree. If the committee REALLY wants the best 4 teams in.....it's Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia and Alabama.

To me.....they need to decide between Bama and UCF. Bama gives Clemson a better opponent but UCF makes the more intriguing game.

If ever there was a year for a team like UCF to get it, it's this year.

I'd give them my vote even though I don't think they'd beat either OSU or Bama.

If ever there was a year for a team like UCF to get it, it's this year.

I'd give them my vote even though I don't think they'd beat either OSU or Bama.

Oh, I think they'd get blown the fuck out......but it would be fun to see someone else get in.

Hearing Outback vs South Carolina. Meh. Holiday va Stanford would be a better bowl in my mind save for it not being on NYD.

Bama looked like shit most of the year. They just got trounced last week by Auburn and played D2 Mercer the week before.

Hearing Outback vs South Carolina. Meh. Holiday va Stanford would be a better bowl in my mind save for it not being on NYD.

Something about playing on New Year’s Day is more special to me. I know it doesn’t mean what it did even 10 years ago since they throw some garbage teams in the Gator Bowl for instance every year now but I guess it’s just the sentimental value in it.

Edit: apparently the Gator Bowl is now the TaxSlayer Bowl And isn’t even played on New Year’s Day anymore. I can’t keep up.

Last edited:
So we are playing Washington state in the holiday bowl. So not only do we not get to play in Florida where it would be a better attended game, and not only do we not get to play an SEC school, and not only do we not get to play on New Year?s Day, but we get to play a team that throws 65 times a game and is probablygoing to shred our mediocre pass defense. Meanwhile Michigan gets to play a bum ass South Carolina team in Florida despite having a worse record than us and losing head to head.

Fuck Jim delaney.

Holiday Bowl apparently picked before Outback dis and picked MSU first. Feels like a slight, but isn't.

I'm fine with the matchup. Get another 9-3 team ranked in a similar spot. Would have been better to be playing among the group of New Year's Day bowls, but oh well.

Back