Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

RIP Harry Dean Stanton

Michchamp

Was in some memorably weird movies (Repo Man, Paris TX)

I guess he more or less kept working right up until he died at age 91.

didn't realize he was also in Godfather pt 2, Alien, Cool Hand Luke, Green Mile, etc etc

Harry used to like to go out and drink and sing karaoke, especially at Improv on Melrose.

He used to like to have other singers who could actually sing harmonize with him (he was kind of a weirdo like a lot of stars; he have one of the chicks who worked there ask the singer to sing with him).

I sang a bunch of songs with Harry back in the day at Improv karaoke. His favorite song to sing with me was Harbor Lights.

Ironically yesterday I watched Mulholland Falls with my wife- for what ever wacky reason I had never seen it before and I finally rented it on byco's recommendation. The great Aaron Neville had a cameo and he was singing that song. I said to my wife "wow-that's the song I used to sing with Harry who just died yesterday."

that's a pretty damn good story.

I wish more cool celebrities lived in Houston so I could meet them too.

Harry used to like to go out and drink and sing karaoke, especially at Improv on Melrose.

He used to like to have other singers who could actually sing harmonize with him (he was kind of a weirdo like a lot of stars; he have one of the chicks who worked there ask the singer to sing with him).

I sang a bunch of songs with Harry back in the day at Improv karaoke. His favorite song to sing with me was Harbor Lights.

Ironically yesterday I watched Mulholland Falls with my wife- for what ever wacky reason I had never seen it before and I finally rented it on byco's recommendation. The great Aaron Neville had a cameo and he was singing that song. I said to my wife "wow-that's the song I used to sing with Harry who just died yesterday."

You mean Mulholland Dr.

Mulholland Falls, with the exception of the scene where Nick Nolte saps Alec Baldwin and his synch-os, that movie is bad. Except for the hats. The hats are awesome.

mulholland-falls-ginster-squad.png

Uh... hate to break it to yous guys, but according to imdb, it doesn't appear that Stanton was in either movie

You mean Mulholland Dr.

Mulholland Falls, with the exception of the scene where Nick Nolte saps Alec Baldwin and his synch-os, that movie is bad. Except for the hats. The hats are awesome.

mulholland-falls-ginster-squad.png

No I meant Mulholland Falls.

Sometime ago you referred to the scene that you just mentioned here. I took it as a recommendation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q8oQo02lYTM

I liked the movie. Jennifer Connelly is naked. There really is no bad movie that Jennifer Connelly is naked in.

And the hats are cool.

Oh but it's Daniel Baldwin, not Alec.

Last edited:
I liked that scene and little else in Mull. Falls. Mull Dr. is a whole 'nuther story.

You read it wrong. In Mulholland Falls, Aaron Neville sings the classic Harbor Lights. That was the song Harry asked to sing with me the most.

I watched that movie the day after he died and remembered that. That's all.

@ 7:25

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLkH-H_WzsoAN6r3oGOZ6zJaC-trs2vK53&v=o9zVEOhZP_Y

oh. actually I read it right yesterday, and then got confused today... too much going on right now. need to log off.

maybe I'll listen to harbor lights later. never heard it.

MD will mess with you. You just gotta watch it and not wonder what the hell is going on.

I have a boring story about it: I've seen about 1/3 of the movie. we watched in college solely to see the famous lesbo sex scene. the DVD had a glitch, or maybe a feature (?) that wouldn't let you skip scenes or FF. we inadvertently stopped it about 1/3 of the way in and when we discovered we couldn't skip all the random, meandering scenes we just saw, and at least skip back to where we were we voted to watch something else. never saw the sex scene or the rest of the movie.

only other David Lynch movie I've seen was Eraserhead, which is... horrifying.

not really a fan of his stuff, which seems to be "weird for weirdness sake" to me. it does make for some iconic scenes and quotes though.

I have a boring story about it: I've seen about 1/3 of the movie. we watched in college solely to see the famous lesbo sex scene. the DVD had a glitch, or maybe a feature (?) that wouldn't let you skip scenes or FF. we inadvertently stopped it about 1/3 of the way in and when we discovered we couldn't skip all the random, meandering scenes we just saw, and at least skip back to where we were we voted to watch something else. never saw the sex scene or the rest of the movie.

not really a fan of his stuff, which seems to be "weird for weirdness sake" to me. it does make for some iconic scenes and quotes though.

If you haven't by now, you certainly should look that scene up on line, even though there really isn't much to it.

If not, all of your college efforts will have been for naught.

If you haven't by now, you certainly should look that scene up on line, even though there really isn't much to it.

If not, all of your college efforts will have been for naught.

there was not much effort put forward; it was like 45 minutes, one (1) night and then we found something else to do. I'm okay missing it.

did you ever see Repo Man? that's a memorably weird movie.

I liked it a lot.

Saw "Blue Velvet" at the theater with my ex-gf when it debuted in '86. as well as "Wild At Heart" in '90...had a crush on Laura Dern for a while afterward. "The Elephant Man" '80 starring John Hurt was good. Rented "Lost Highway" but didn't even get through a half hour of it before my then-fiance, asked if we could watch something else...didn't argue, it stunk.

Saw "Blue Velvet" at the theater with my ex-gf when it debuted in '86. as well as "Wild At Heart" in '90...had a crush on Laura Dern for a while afterward. "The Elephant Man" '80 starring John Hurt was good. Rented "Lost Highway" but didn't even get through a half hour of it before my then-fiance, asked if we could watch something else...didn't argue, it stunk.

You seem to have gone through a few chicks in your life.

Back