Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU basektball recruiting

Cal already has Booker and Blackmon coming in, as well as someone else at wing I think.

Are you saying KY isn't recruiting him or you think MGC won't go there if he gets the offer?

Blackmon is going to IU so MGC could play SF with Booker at SG or vice-versa...

Last edited:
So now that he's not reclassifying despite Harris announcing he's leaving, I think MGC to Kentucky in 2015 is an even better bet. Any takers?

Without a doubt he's going to kentucky. Only reason he wasn't going this year is because he wasn't offered by them.

Without a doubt he's going to kentucky. Only reason he wasn't going this year is because he wasn't offered by them.

I always feel we're going to lose when UK is involved, they're just tough to turn down. I think our best chance for him is if he does reclassify for 2014, i know he said that his coach said that he's not going to but I haven't heard anything from him. 247 crystal ball has him listed as 89% to MSU, I'm sure they had Ulis as a MSU commit for a while and then it all switched. there's a long way to go, I just feel like we'll lose to UK if it comes down to it.

I always feel we're going to lose when UK is involved, they're just tough to turn down. I think our best chance for him is if he does reclassify for 2014, i know he said that his coach said that he's not going to but I haven't heard anything from him. 247 crystal ball has him listed as 89% to MSU, I'm sure they had Ulis as a MSU commit for a while and then it all switched. there's a long way to go, I just feel like we'll lose to UK if it comes down to it.

I also feel that if he reclassifies we have a great shot at getting him, but if he does stay in the 2015 class then no way. MSU is the school that a lot of high prospects love early in the recruiting process and as the signing deadline approaches that love fades very quickly.

MSU is the beautiful, nice, take home to mom, marriage material kind of girl....

But these guys are 18 ish...... they aren't looking to get married.

Kentucky is the hot slut. Nail her once or twice and move on.

Usually, at 18, you choose the slut.

I also feel that if he reclassifies we have a great shot at getting him, but if he does stay in the 2015 class then no way. MSU is the school that a lot of high prospects love early in the recruiting process and as the signing deadline approaches that love fades very quickly.

Part of me says that it's because Cal is dirty. I hate to be the guy who accuses someone of cheating if you lose a guy but they have a history, there was the story about anthony davis, rumors, etc. they have a lot to offer without cheating, great tradition, MTV Cribs type living situation, rabid fan base.

I still think they're dirty, I know something is up when we lose someone to UK or Kansas, not as much to Duke.

MSU is the beautiful, nice, take home to mom, marriage material kind of girl....

But these guys are 18 ish...... they aren't looking to get married.

Kentucky is the hot slut. Nail her once or twice and move on.

Usually, at 18, you choose the slut.

This is probably the best way to describe Kentucky! Well done sir!! :cheers:

And Sbee, I also think that Cal is dirty, but what really pisses my off is that the NCAA goes after the schools and Cal grabs another job and walks away a free man. Total BS

Sometimes if you're going to lose a guy to UK or Kansas, it's just as well. Sure everyone is going to take Jabari Parker or a Wiggins in a heartbeat, but a lot of the guys who go to those schools do just enough in their freshman seasons to show that they are draftable, and then they're outta there without having made much of an impact on their college teams. Guys like Xavier Henry or Josh Selby at Kansas or a Teague, Orton, Goodwin at Kentucky. Kansas and Kentucky sign so many of them that they can withstand it. Those types of players ruined Texas's program for a few years though until they were able to turn it around this year.

KY will have scholarships to give and I read they intend to offer him one for 2014 if he reclassifies. I'm skeptical of our chances with him for either '14 or '15. I hope I'm wrong but I think people in our camp tend to look at recruiting (and most other things) w/ very thick green shades.

I look at what he would be coming into - no point guard, no big man, no wingman. Sure we have a great coach and a few serviceable players in Trice, Valentine and Costello but outside of that, all we offer him is playing time. He goes to KY and he plays with as many as 3 even 4 NBA ready players. I suppose if Dawson stays, there's a little more but let's be honest - he's a role player, not a star.

He goes to KY and he plays with as many as 3 even 4 NBA ready players. I suppose if Dawson stays, there's a little more but let's be honest - he's a role player, not a star.
whoa there, lets not get ahead of ourselves. UK may have 3-4 NBA prospects, not necessarily NBA ready players. there's a big difference. Payne is NBA ready, physically and mentally. Randall is NBA ready physically, but not so much mentally (he's not even in the same league as eyebrows was during his one year at UK).

coming into this year, we were looked at as having at least 4 NBA prospects too. UK is just looked at as the pass-through "school" right now, which is very unfortunate.

Speaking of Kentucky I was surprised that Cauley-Stein is staying. If Dakari Johnson does likewise they'll have even more size than last year. If one considers Poythress a 4 rather than a 3 they'd have 6 big men to have to keep happy. If the Harrison's and Young leave they'll be hurting in the backcourt though.

This is probably the best way to describe Kentucky! Well done sir!! :cheers:

And Sbee, I also think that Cal is dirty, but what really pisses my off is that the NCAA goes after the schools and Cal grabs another job and walks away a free man. Total BS

well the two things that happened weren't related to him, Marcus Camby was taking money from an agent while at Umass and Derrick Rose had someone take a standardized test for him to get into Memphis. those aren't situations where you can pin it on the coach. the sun times pulled the Anthony Davis story the day before it ran because one source changed his story at the last minute, that would have been one the NCAA couldn't ignore

whoa there, lets not get ahead of ourselves. UK may have 3-4 NBA prospects, not necessarily NBA ready players. there's a big difference. Payne is NBA ready, physically and mentally. Randall is NBA ready physically, but not so much mentally (he's not even in the same league as eyebrows was during his one year at UK).

coming into this year, we were looked at as having at least 4 NBA prospects too. UK is just looked at as the pass-through "school" right now, which is very unfortunate.

NBA ready, NBA draft ready, whatever, that's not the point. The point is MGC would be playing with much higher caliber players at KY - most likely multiple first rounders and possibly multiple lottery picks. If Payne, Dawson and Harris were all in the same class, they would be average, probably even below average for a KY recruiting class over the last 5 years (since 2009)...

And Appling surprised a lot of people with his pre-injury play - not many people thought he was a legitimate NBA player going into the year. But again, more importantly, next year KY will have 3 or 4 projected draftees like they have had every year since 2009/10. If we finished the season w/ 4 draft picks, it would have been a huge outlier year for us.

Last edited:
Lots of info in this thread, but can someone help me re-set where MSU is for next year? By my count, we currently have 12 roster kids on scholarship for 2014-2015.

Travis Trice (PG)
Lourawls Nairn (PG)
Denzel Valentine (G)
Alvin Ellis (F)
Russell Byrd (G)
Branden Dawson (SF)
Kenny Kaminski (SF)
Javon Bess (SG)
Matt Costello (PF)
Alex Gauna (F)
Gavin Schilling (F)
Marvin Clark (PF)

I think that currently leaves one open scholarship. If Byrd is done at MSU it would be two open scholarships. Gauna being done at MSU could mean three open. Is that right?

Would Izzo go into the season like that? Does Kenny Goins end up scholarship sooner than later, particularly if Byrd and/or Gauna leave?

I think walk-ons for 2014-2015 looks like this, assuming they all come back:

Colby Wallenman (F)
Trevor Bohnhoff (F)
Keenan Wetzel (G)
Kenny Goins (F)

Last edited:
the open scholarship would go to a walk on if we don't fill it. it's unlikely we do unless MGC does reclassify or someone opens things up after a coaching change, maybe someone from TN or whoever they hire, maybe Cal goes to LA and then things would get interesting.

the open scholarship would go to a walk on if we don't fill it. it's unlikely we do unless MGC does reclassify or someone opens things up after a coaching change, maybe someone from TN or whoever they hire, maybe Cal goes to LA and then things would get interesting.

Thanks. I hope we can upgrade the roster a bit still. The notion of Byrd and Gauna potentially not returning, and having THREE open scholarships seems like a waste to me. Goins is probably the most scholarship worthy kid among the walk-ons, but then we're still sitting on two. Wetzel probably gets one if available for his Senior year, based on merit. But this roster could use some talent depth.

Thanks. I hope we can upgrade the roster a bit still. The notion of Byrd and Gauna potentially not returning, and having THREE open scholarships seems like a waste to me. Goins is probably the most scholarship worthy kid among the walk-ons, but then we're still sitting on two. Wetzel probably gets one if available for his Senior year, based on merit. But this roster could use some talent depth.

having those extra scholarships would have been a lot better in early 2012 as opposed to now. Izzo recruited in the last year with a lot of available scholarships, there was nobody worthwhile that we had to slow play like we did with a few guys when we were working on Parker and Young

Back