Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Call the men in white coats

inkfreq

... I actually enjoy something written by Mel Kiper Jr. I obviously need serious help here. I am not even sure gravity is still working correctly, or if any of the Newtonian laws of physics still apply to the universe.

Kiper Jr. predicts in his latest mock that the Lions will select Ha Ha Clinton Dix at #10, and follow it up with Stanley-Jean Baptiste in round two.

Now, I don't think there is a chance in hell of that happening, but if it did, I would actually be stoked. Talk about major improvements to the secondary right there.

Granted, it doesn't help our passing attack, our O-Line, our D-line, our LB corp. or any other place we would like to see improvements, but it would sure signal that the days of being the doormat in the NFC north are over. Serious focus on the secondary.

I don't think in my life I have ever smiled when I read a single thing Mel Crapper Jr. wrote, so I am obviously running a fever that could take my life.

Funny... I think I feel fine.

that's what i said in the mock draft thread... i actually really like his latest mock.

they would both be put into great positions where they could compete for a starting job, but likely not win it. both would/could be poised to be huge contributors in year 2 though.

and as far as Baptiste goes, 6'3" CB's with (reported) 4.46 speed and a ~41.5" vertical don't exactly grow on trees.

Clinton-Dix may be in play at 10, but I still see no CVS in play early on. They are going to give the young guys the opportunity to develop.

Baptiste is a physical freak, but he will still be playing for someone else his rookie year. I sure wouldn't hate the pick, but like always Kiper is wrong again.

Last edited:
Been wanting Ha Ha for awhile. S, fixed.

I am okay with Clinton-Dix at 10. Our Barr. Our Gilbert. Or Lewan. Or Donald. There's a few others too, like Evans or Lee.

I still think we move to #2 and take Watkins though.

If you pick haha...just play him over ihedigbo.

Last edited:
I like those two guys in the 1st and 2nd. Would be a strong couple of rounds. Gives us some safety blankets for injuries with guys who can come in who have a skill set that is definitely better than what we have currently. I don't think either one starts but if an injury or two happens this would definitely be a helpful draft. Also good for down the road as they could both end up being above average starters. Baptiste is a physical freak and with some coaching could be a very good player.

I like those two guys in the 1st and 2nd. Would be a strong couple of rounds. Gives us some safety blankets for injuries with guys who can come in who have a skill set that is definitely better than what we have currently. I don't think either one starts but if an injury or two happens this would definitely be a helpful draft. Also good for down the road as they could both end up being above average starters. Baptiste is a physical freak and with some coaching could be a very good player.

GM is in win now mode. Dont think there is any way we dont take imediate starters or impact players in the first couple of rounds.

That's too bad then. Though I'm not sure if he's in the hot-seat.

That's too bad then. Though I'm not sure if he's in the hot-seat.

I'm really doubtful. I've been through more than a few corporate changes at the top, and the one constant I have found when a new CEO comes in (and that's really the case here) there is a very patient transition period.

The guy at the top of the food chain, Bill Ford Jr., is going to want to take his time and find out if he can do something with the team his father couldn't. He's going to analyze the things he has disagreed with, the things he thinks are going right, and it's going to take two to three seasons to make major changes.

Mayhew seems pretty safe to me right now. Lewand will get the axe long before Mayhew does, because Lewand effects the bottom dollar, which is Ford's real concern.

This is a guy who grew up in the corporate world and has learned solid management for years. If Mayhew was going to be fired, he'd have been fired the Monday after Sr. died. He's got time to right this ship.

I'm really doubtful. I've been through more than a few corporate changes at the top, and the one constant I have found when a new CEO comes in (and that's really the case here) there is a very patient transition period.

The guy at the top of the food chain, Bill Ford Jr., is going to want to take his time and find out if he can do something with the team his father couldn't. He's going to analyze the things he has disagreed with, the things he thinks are going right, and it's going to take two to three seasons to make major changes.

Mayhew seems pretty safe to me right now. Lewand will get the axe long before Mayhew does, because Lewand effects the bottom dollar, which is Ford's real concern.

This is a guy who grew up in the corporate world and has learned solid management for years. If Mayhew was going to be fired, he'd have been fired the Monday after Sr. died. He's got time to right this ship.

new ownership of a team that has been dreadful and a running joke of a franchise for multiple decades....you should want to come in and get your guys to make corrections. If he choses to "take his time" aka....do nothing....then hes just doing the same thing his dead daddy did. Shit, you may as well keep WCF as the owner from his new box 6 feet below. Hed be just as effective as a guy that does nothing to change the losing culture that is the Detroit lions.

new ownership of a team that has been dreadful and a running joke of a franchise for multiple decades....you should want to come in and get your guys to make corrections. If he choses to "take his time" aka....do nothing....then hes just doing the same thing his dead daddy did. Shit, you may as well keep WCF as the owner from his new box 6 feet below. Hed be just as effective as a guy that does nothing to change the losing culture that is the Detroit lions.
"taking your time" does not mean "do nothing"

taking your time means you sit back and analyze the situation, see what could be improved upon, and what's currently working for you. that's what ink is saying about Jr. Sr., on the other hand, may have loved this team, but really treated in like a hobby instead of a job/business.

also, who are you to say that Jr. will be "just doing the same thing his dead daddy did", which is not only rude, but highly ignorant of you to speak such things.

Last edited:

All those things are true, but the real reason Mayhew wont be gone is because of the money to buy out his contract, you add in that a new GM will want "his guy" so you also have to buyout Caldwell and his staff. They just did that with Schwartz so I don't see them firing anyone for at least 3 years (unless they completely shit the bed which I doubt).

Y pick up Baptiste in the 2nd round????? most of the mocks, Walter, Draftsite have him in the 3rd and 4th rounds..... we can get him there and pick up the Matthews in the 2nd

lucke;436428 also said:
hes not dead? is this breaking news?....over easter week WCF rose again? or more like a 2pac thing?...like his spirit lives on and hes just gonna release a new record every year?

Last edited:
Y pick up Baptiste in the 2nd round????? most of the mocks, Walter, Draftsite have him in the 3rd and 4th rounds..... we can get him there and pick up the Matthews in the 2nd

Alex, you act like GMs are watching the mock drafts and saying "Oh gee... I'm not supposed to take the guy I want until round 3!"

These guys have scouts. The scouts for every team know about 10,000 times more about every single prospect than any mock draft writer, ever.

They grade each prospect. They weight each priority.

And on draft day, they will take these guys where they think they need to take them to get them if they want them... not where the mock draft sites say they will go.

The absolute worst thing ever to happen to the NFL is the starting of the mock drafts. It makes fans think there are some ridiculous rule set to where a guy can and can't be taken.

Just last year, Kyle Long was drafted by the bears in the first round. Every single mock draft site everywhere had him going in the 3rd round. Every draft site out there the night of the first round called the Bears insane.

End result? He was one of four rookies to make the ProBowl in his rookie year last year. He was also the ONLY offensive lineman rookie to make the ProBowl in a year that featured a RECORD number of linemen in the first round.

Guess the mock draft sites don't know as much as the scouts huh? And if you pay attention at all.. it's more common than not that the mockers are just way off base.

and i co uld also point our Chris ponder who was suppose to be in the 2nd/3rd i believe and picked in the first

Back