Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers Sign Leonys Martin

Rebbiv

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2017/1...-burgos-derek-norris-edwin-espinal-jim-adduci

$1.7 Mil to Major League Roster

Will be 30

Very light stick (82 of 99 OFers over last 3 years)

No walks

Can play a defense (16 of 100 OFers over last 3 years)

With a possible OF of Castellanos and Stewart, they needed to find defense replacement. I doubt he hits better than JaCoby Jones or Tyler Collins. Still, not significant and spent $1.7 Mil for a AAAA OFer.

The defense will be nice. Too bad he strikes out a ton.

Gose 2.0

thumbs down

This team is going to suck bad next year and beyond

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with trying to save money. They did the high spending before, and we had some exciting years but eventually high spending teams become us 2018. You can spend 120m and win divisions.

As far as "a little early to be scraping the barrel" that's what a rebuild is. We need a rebuild and the team will be bad for a bit.. learn to live with it.

Hope he has speed and an arm as well.

He will need to when fielding all of the screaming drives off the wall in RCF/LCF off Tigers pitching next season.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with trying to save money. They did the high spending before, and we had some exciting years but eventually high spending teams become us 2018. You can spend 120m and win divisions.

As far as "a little early to be scraping the barrel" that's what a rebuild is. We need a rebuild and the team will be bad for a bit.. learn to live with it.

Martin is at best a minor league signee. There will be probably a dozen or more OFers with the skillset of Martin who will sign for the league veteran minimum or to a minor league contract. DET signs him relatively early in the FA period and at a premium for what you are getting in value. I think that is the objection. This is an overpay, even if it is just $1.7 Mil.

Yes, he is the type of player I expect DET to have while they are rebuilding. Yes, based on what they project to play, he is the type that is needed.

I wonder who in analytics provided input on this one?

I am not sure Martin would even have gotten a contract this year. What a stupid signing by Avila. Maybe Al was smoking the same chemicals he was for the Pelfrey signing. What an IDIOT

Turned out to be a very good signing. Got a productive half season out of him and turned him into a solid prospect. Well done Al!!

The thing is we can laugh at all the signings when they happen - Martin, Friers, Liriano, Goodrum etc. But they all did well for us & on the cheap. That's what a rebuild is - sign cheap and take a chance. And those first 73 games were exciting.. Largely because of these guys.

We got a prospect who probably won't make it, for a player that could have been had as a minor league signee. Spin it all you want.

We got a prospect who probably won't make it, for a player that could have been had as a minor league signee. Spin it all you want.

you are certainly spinning it in a negative manner. A prospect that "probably" won't make it for a player that you "could" have been able to sign as a minor league contract.

The bottom line is they did get a SS prospect that from what I have read will be ranked in the top 10 (for Tigers prospects). I really don't know how you can look at this as a negative.

The Tigers top 10 there are 4 position players;
http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=det

If you compare the position players to those of teams in the top 10 of all ML farm systems, I would guess the Tigers position players would be rated lower in those systems. Meaning they are flawed with lack of defense, stewart, young and learning Cameron, and Meadows, and high out of zone swing rate and low obp Castro.
Maybe they develop, maybe they don't. The way it is set up, all we can do is wait for a few years.

Gose 2.0

thumbs down

This team is going to suck bad next year and beyond

I was wrong martin was better than Gose. Was right about the tigers really sucking though. This group of no sticks can't hit fur shit without Miggy and a couple of others.

you are certainly spinning it in a negative manner. A prospect that "probably" won't make it for a player that you "could" have been able to sign as a minor league contract.

The bottom line is they did get a SS prospect that from what I have read will be ranked in the top 10 (for Tigers prospects). I really don't know how you can look at this as a negative.

Whose prospect listing is saying he is in the Tigers' top 10?. Hopefully it isn't John Sickels. You think the Indians gave up something of quality for a 2-month rental of a mediocre player?

Now we are counting on #10 Prospects. Stephen Moya was once a #10 prospect. Castro does not walk, does not hit for high average and does not play good defense. Very similar to Dawel Lugo (actually hits for higher average), who was the primary return for J.D. Martinez. How is that working out? And he was also projected to possibly be in the Tiger's top 10 prospects, until sucking it this year. Wasn't Lugo a top 100 prospect?

You guys want to grade a trade by prospect rankings and call it a win. Martin had a excellent April and has done squat since. The Tigers were lucky to spin him for anyone. Got it. But don't think this somehow advanced the Tigers. They have traded for 8 middle infielders over the last 2 years. Odds are that maybe 1 will turn into something, not all 8. Luck might mean 2.

Maybe I should have said this was a nothing deal. How is that?

This guy ����������

Whose prospect listing is saying he is in the Tigers' top 10?. Hopefully it isn't John Sickels. You think the Indians gave up something of quality for a 2-month rental of a mediocre player?

Now we are counting on #10 Prospects. Stephen Moya was once a #10 prospect. Castro does not walk, does not hit for high average and does not play good defense. Very similar to Dawel Lugo (actually hits for higher average), who was the primary return for J.D. Martinez. How is that working out? And he was also projected to possibly be in the Tiger's top 10 prospects, until sucking it this year. Wasn't Lugo a top 100 prospect?

You guys want to grade a trade by prospect rankings and call it a win. Martin had a excellent April and has done squat since. The Tigers were lucky to spin him for anyone. Got it. But don't think this somehow advanced the Tigers. They have traded for 8 middle infielders over the last 2 years. Odds are that maybe 1 will turn into something, not all 8. Luck might mean 2.

Maybe I should have said this was a nothing deal. How is that?

Maybe this is one of those 2. Nonetheless, as you said - "the Tigers were lucky to..." We weren't getting Vladdy Jr..

some prospects improve, some stay the same and some get worse. Most of us don't know.

I was wrong martin was better than Gose. Was right about the tigers really sucking though. This group of no sticks can't hit fur shit without Miggy and a couple of others.

This made me lol!

Back