Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Breakdown of final play

I just don't understand why guys refuse to tackle with their arms.

"Man, it was just my play to make," said Williams, who missed the tackle around the Saints' 35-yard line that allowed Minnesota Vikings receiver Stefon Diggs to run free for a 61-yard, game-winning touchdown in Minnesota's 29-24 victory.

"The ball was in the air. I didn't go attack it. And he came down and made a great play, and that's just on me," said Williams, who lowered his head and shoulder and attempted to drive toward Diggs' leg -- though he whiffed completely -- instead of contesting the ball in the air or waiting to wrap up Diggs after the catch. "I just gotta be that guy and go up and get the ball. As a safety back there, you gotta be the eraser. And that was my job. ...

"I feel like I was a little early [on my launch toward Diggs]. But at that point, I just gotta make the tackle when he comes down. ... There's only 10 seconds left. I knew the situation. You gotta make sure you make the play. ...

"If the play happened different, I would just go attack the ball and make that play."

When asked how he will bounce back from the play, Williams said, "Man, just overcoming. You can't let it beat you down. I'm gonna take it upon myself to do all that I can to never let that happen again. And, I mean, if it happens again, then I shouldn't be playing. But I'm gonna take it upon myself to do all that I can to make sure nothing like this happens again to me."

"Look, he jumped and went for the tackle," Payton said. "He's played well for us all year. It was a timing decision. Obviously he'd like to have that back, but he's been a good player for us all year."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ta-vikings-stefon-diggs-was-just-my-play-make

Weird play from the beginning. What a bullshit play by the fkn Vikings lol..wow.
As for the kid Williams? He took it like a man and explained the best he could. He mistimed the whole play and to me, it looked like by the time he realized that Diggs was actually catching the ball, he pretty much froze in mid lunge. Should only make the kid better IMO....

Weird play from the beginning. What a bullshit play by the fkn Vikings lol..wow.
As for the kid Williams? He took it like a man and explained the best he could. He mistimed the whole play and to me, it looked like by the time he realized that Diggs was actually catching the ball, he pretty much froze in mid lunge. Should only make the kid better IMO....

Kid actually had a pretty good game up till that last play...

Bad mistake but where were the other defenders?

Other defenders? Williams was the last line of defense on that play and then ended up taking out the guy covering the guy who caught the ball when he missed the tackle.... The other guys were covering other people and thought that Williams was all the help they'd need over the top...

Other defenders? Williams was the last line of defense on that play and then ended up taking out the guy covering the guy who caught the ball when he missed the tackle.... The other guys were covering other people and thought that Williams was all the help they'd need over the top...

Over 60 yards to go, why not have guys near the goal as last defense? Or at least inside the 30. I get that they wanted to make a tackle in-bounds so no FG try but it almost looked like they were playing man to man.

Last edited:

Spot on Tony.. I watched it a bunch of times wnd I think your right .. He went for it and like it did look like he froze big time. Like he launch and thought uh-oh I'm in trouble ... But I'm with you ... I hate the Vikings more then any other team . He is a nice young player and I hope he recovers from this .

Over 60 yards to go, why not have guys near the goal as last defense? Or at least inside the 30. I get that they wanted to make a tackle in-bounds so no FG try but it almost looked like they were playing man to man.

I was also wonder too why the saints didn't have 1 deep spy. We all know the Vikings were trying to work the sidelines to get into a field goal. Everyone says this morning that the Santa had the right defense called and the kid just used bad technique.. I would have had a spy.

Williams did own up to the mistake, but it was a total brain fart to be sure. He didn't keep himself under control and instead went in too hard, and as a result arrived slightly early and I think hurled himself out of the way to avoid the PI.

But I don't think he was solely to blame. I think the corner could have done a better job as he was supposed to be covering there too preventing the sideline catch and did let Diggs catch the ball 25 yards downfield no more than couple yards from the sidelines. And that is a pretty long throw on a line coming from a quarterback who's not known for having a big arm. Williams was there in the right spot to cover up for the corner and keep Diggs from getting out of bounds...until he didn't come in under control and simply wrap Diggs up.

Last edited:
I was also wonder too why the saints didn't have 1 deep spy. We all know the Vikings were trying to work the sidelines to get into a field goal. Everyone says this morning that the Santa had the right defense called and the kid just used bad technique.. I would have had a spy.

It was the right defense. Do that same bs play 100x over and that happens once. It was the luckiest fkn play I have seen in a long time. I hope the Eagles smash the Vikings this week.

It was the right defense. Do that same bs play 100x over and that happens once. It was the luckiest fkn play I have seen in a long time. I hope the Eagles smash the Vikings this week.

I so agree .. I hope Case is running for his life.

Back