Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2018 Head Coach Search Matt Patricia

Didn't try out the app before the broadcast went live.... hundreds of usernames making comments (out of 50K+ logged on) rapidly scrolling up partly obscured the feed. Had to block them and their "hearts" upvotes.

Got my firstest follower out of it though...:)

Last edited:
A lot of Lions coaches are here for the Matt Patricia press conference, including Jim Bob Cooter, Joe Marciano and David Walker. They were the OC, ST coach and RB coach under Jim Caldwell. A bunch of the new hires also appear to be here, including defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni. Only one current player has been spotted so far -- offensive lineman T.J. Lang.

Bob Quinn said they met with Matt Patricia twice in Massachusetts, both during their bye weeks (pre-Super Bowl and wild-card weekend). Only announced the first meeting with him. Quinn said he sat next to Patricia a lot in team meetings for many of their years together and they spent time together on the road scouting players.

Matt Patricia thanked the Kraft family in New England for allowing him to be part of their organization for 14 years. Also thanked Bill Belichick for everything he's done for his family over the years and for him personally. Also said "thank you" to the fans in New England and called it a "special place."

Matt Patricia: He and Bob Quinn have a lot of experience and history together and that they both "share a common ground" with what they want to do. But said they are a long way from creating any sort of "way."

Matt Patricia: When you talk to different organization you get different feels. Said he felt comfortable with Bob Quinn and Rod Wood from the beginning.

Matt Patricia: Non-committal on scheme. Said scheme is not something locked into, will tailor to players they have. Long history with Paul Pasqualoni. "Really mentored me a lot and taught me a lot." Also said he looked to him how to game plan. Called it a natural fit.

Matt Patricia: "There's only one coach Belichick. That's it." Said he'll be his own man and have his own style. Said he'll take from all his experiences, New England, Syracuse and even the lower levels at the start of his coaching career.

Matt Patricia said he spoke to Matthew Stafford last night and wished him a Happy Birthday. Stafford turns 30 today. Called Stafford a "true professional." It was a phone conversation that was kind of a get-to-know-you conversation.

Matt Patricia said he knew he wanted to do this when he was playing electric football as a kid, diagramming plays and they would try to "outplan each other." Had huge games that would last weeks at a time.

Matt Patricia not addressing the Lions past or the histories of Belichick assistants. Said he's only looking forward, looking to their vision moving forward between him and Bob Quinn. Said he can learn from the past and take examples "but I wasn't there, so I don't really know."

Matt Patricia, when asked if the Lions can win a Super Bowl this year, talks about constant improvement and a building process. Looking for constant improvement. Said the first thing he has to worry about is the division and "you're not going to be able to do anything if you don't handle business in the division first." Talking mostly now about evaluating players and getting ready for the draft.

Matt Patricia: Jim Bob Cooter is on staff. He'll be here. Said they have accomplished things with Matthew Stafford and everyone has spoken highly of him.

Bob Quinn: The interview process with Matt Patricia was pretty seamless. Said it was like a continuation of meetings they used to have in Patricia's office in New England talking about players, etc. Said long ago that he felt that he and Patricia could work together.

Bob Quinn said they went through the gamut of every question with Matt Patricia.

Bob Quinn hasn't talked about Ezekiel Ansah's future with the club with Matt Patricia. Said it didn't come up during the interview process. Have to imagine, though, that he'll be one of the first topics when they start talking about the roster.

Bob Quinn said he had a brief conversation with Matt Patricia about the Roger Goodell T-shirt but that he wasn't concerned about it at all.

Michael Rothstein espn

Matty Patty's voice was a bit higher pitched than I had imagined that it would be, given his husky, barrel-chested appearance.

Matt Patricia said he knew he wanted to do this when he was playing electric football as a kid, diagramming plays and they would try to "outplan each other." Had huge games that would last weeks at a time.

I like him better than '9 men on the field' Caldwell already.

Liked his press conference. Comfort with pasqualoni is fine n all... but not sure how good of a d cord he is. And its one thing to say... well Patricia can just handle the D and pasqualoni is just a figurehead. But you really dont want your HC responsible for all that during a game. I thought schiano was a better option.

Zimmer calls the plays for vikings d. Plent call iffensive plays including pederson.

Patricia can handle it

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/ne...ne-coach/6b3509b8-5675-4131-a65d-ed19dcd2b468
Lions hire Bo Davis as defensive line coach.
Lions.com

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018/2/9/16995796/lions-hire-bo-davis-defensive-line-coach
Lions hire Bo Davis as defensive line coach.
A’Shawn Robinson is going to love this hire.
POD

Lions now have direct connections to Harold Landry, Marcus Davenport and Da'Ron Payne on staff. Defense (more specifically DL) in Round 1?
also add day 2/3, Alabama 3T/5T Dashawn Hand to the list.

Last edited:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2018/02/lions_hire_former_maine_ol_coa.html#incart_river_index
Lions hire former Maine OL coach/run game coordinator.
Mlive

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018...game-coordinator-brian-picucci-coaching-staff
Lions add former run game coordinator Brian Picucci to coaching staff.
The Lions have a new coach who specializes in the running game.
POD

http://lionswire.usatoday.com/2018/...e-coach-brian-picucci-offensive-qc-assistant/
Lions hire running-game coach Brian Picucci as QC assistant.
LionsWire

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/ne...ng-staff/5143b53d-6e6c-4316-bc3a-889e99fea2ed
Lions announce an update to the coaching staff.
Lions.com

Few more personnel moves for the Lions:
-Mark Stephenson is new director of player performance.
-Joe Kelleher moved from college scouting coordinator to pro scout
-Ron Miles takes over as college coordinator
-Eloy Ledesma is the new BLESTO scout
-Steve Neal is now an area scout

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018...e-biggest-reason-for-lions-rushing-turnaround
Insider: Firing Ron Prince ‘will be the biggest reason’ for Lions’ rushing turnaround

I really hope this comes true. It almost felt like extra effort was involved to make the running game so bad. It’s not like they were completely devoid of talent either, the fact that they didn’t even have a good running day by accident makes me wonder what was really going on.

Last edited:
https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018...e-biggest-reason-for-lions-rushing-turnaround
Insider: Firing Ron Prince ?will be the biggest reason? for Lions? rushing turnaround

I really hope this comes true. It almost felt like extra effort was involved to make the running game so bad. It?s not like they were completely devoid of talent either, the fact that they didn?t even have a good running day by accident makes me wonder what was really going on.

I'll believe it when I see it. I have a hard time pinning this horrific rushing stat on one secondary coach.

Back