Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NCAAB Corruption Probe

So which is it?

Is the NCAA going to throw a parade and knight and make these coaches saints, or does Michigan have anything to worry about?

So which is it?

Is the NCAA going to throw a parade and knight and make these coaches saints, or does Michigan have anything to worry about?

Both. Michigan will self-report something minor, but it will get called major, and everyone that doesn't cooperate with the NCAA will be awarded one additional recruit for every time they tell the NCAA to eff off.

Coaches like John Calipari should be worried. Now if the NCAA will actually do anything of substance is a completely different story. They'll have a spreadsheet detailing payments to players, but does that mean they'll do anything? Who knows? They had evidence that UNC committed 20 years of academic fraud across multiple sports and they did nothing.

JB's history is squeaky clean and Michigan will not be self-reporting anything. The vast majority of our 1st round draft picks have been underrated recruits. McGary and GR3 are the only exceptions and GR3 was a late riser. He was a 3-star when he signed. We battled powerhouses Minnesota and K-State for Hardaway Jr. Burke had offers from PSU, Cincy, Iowa, Miami, and Providence. Not exactly the blue bloods of college basketball. Stauskas was a generic 3-star out of Canada.

Last edited:
Coaches like John Calipari should be worried. Now if the NCAA will actually do anything of substance is a completely different story. They'll have a spreadsheet detailing payments to players, but does that mean they'll do anything? Who knows? They had evidence that UNC committed 20 years of academic fraud across multiple sports and they did nothing.

JB's history is squeaky clean and Michigan will not be self-reporting anything. The vast majority of our 1st round draft picks have been underrated recruits. McGary and GR3 are the only exceptions and GR3 was a late riser. He was a 3-star when he signed. We battled powerhouses Minnesota and K-State for Hardaway Jr. Burke had offers from PSU, Cincy, Iowa, Miami, and Providence. Not exactly the blue bloods of college basketball. Stauskas was a generic 3-star out of Canada.

My comments were referring to agents(in the article) that were contacting kids during their college years and offering them something nice for their signature later on. Agents don't have to find you in high school. They can find you in college, like when kids maybe will turn pro but don't and wait till the next year(but get paid their whole last year of college). This is what I'm afraid of.

MSU needs to be afraid, too. Much more so.

Last edited:
My comments were referring to agents(in the article) that were contacting kids during their college years and offering them something nice for their signature later on. Agents don't have to find you in high school. They can find you in college, like when kids maybe will turn pro but don't and wait till the next year(but get paid their whole last year of college). This is what I'm afraid of.

MSU needs to be afraid, too. Much more so.

Apparently Bridges and/or his family took something like 400-500 bucks. Not a big amount at all, and to me that's not worth punishment.

HOWEVER, McGary had to forfeit an entire season of eligibility because he smoked weed. I think there may be something to be worried about here.

Apparently Bridges and/or his family took something like 400-500 bucks. Not a big amount at all, and to me that's not worth punishment.

HOWEVER, McGary had to forfeit an entire season of eligibility because he smoked weed. I think there may be something to be worried about here.

The weed rule, while stupid as fuck, is standard. You fail a drug test administered by the NCAA and you're done for a season. Doesn't really have anything to do with agents. Plus, McGary declared for the NBA right after.

I will be surprised if Stauskas, Burke, Hardaway Jr, GR3, Levert, Wilson, or McGary are involved in this at all.

JB's two highest draft picks were Stauskas and Burke. Both 3-star recruits that really blew up their sophomore year. We all knew Burke was leaving after his sophomore year, so he is the only one I see with any potential risk.

Still, the report says any 1st round pick the last three years. Stauskas and Burke were both drafted four years ago. The spreadsheet detailing payments may not even cover their seasons at Michigan.

According to the documents, Dawkins has dinners listed with plenty of boldface names in the sport ? Tom Izzo, ?Villanova coaches,? Fultz and the family of wayward five-star prospect Mitchell Robinson.
It mentions a $400 advance to a Spartan mom, and there's the line I quoted above. But nothing like some of the players listed there. Worst I see for the Big Ten is Maryland.

Diamond Stone, at the time a freshman at Maryland, received $14,303 according to the documents.

These are the records of a 24 year old underling agent.

I wonder if I can win a pool by writing "vacated" in all the slots of my bracket.

It mentions a $400 advance to a Spartan mom, and there's the line I quoted above. But nothing like some of the players listed there. Worst I see for the Big Ten is Maryland.

These are the records of a 24 year old underling agent.

Bridges and Josh Jackson are two MSU players involved in this.

The angry leprechaun had a relationship with this agent. I believe some of their dinner expenses were found.

I'm sure that's just a complete coincidence.

EDIT - Jackson = Kansas.

Last edited:
Bridges and Josh Jackson are two MSU players involved in this.

The angry leprechaun had a relationship with this agent. I believe some of their dinner expenses were found.

I'm sure that's just a complete coincidence.

Josh Jackson is Kansas.

Quick list of schools implicated so far:

Alabama, Clemson, Creighton, Duke, Iowa State, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Michigan State, NC State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Seton Hall, USC, Utah, Villanova, Virginia, Washington and Wichita State.

Double edged sword - good that there's nothing to worry about but an indicator of the talent level Michigan has to recruit.

I haven't read the whole yahoo piece, just an article on msn.com - is there any indication ASM was steering players to certain schools or that the schools knew? So far, it looks like a lot of the schools, coaches or boosters aren't involved.

just skimmed the yahoo piece. I guess maybe it's the cost of doing business but seems like the lesson here is don't pay kids in high school or college hoping they'll sign with you later. Looks like ASM spent 160k on 6 players and didn't sign one of them.

Kentucky coach John Calipari
"I have no relationship with Andy Miller or any of his associates. Neither my staff nor I utilized any agent, including Andy Miller or any of his associates, to provide any financial benefits to a current or former Kentucky student-athlete. We will cooperate fully with the appropriate authorities."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSeek1ouq7A

If this was any other coach I wouldnt believe it but this was a tweet from Spike

Spike Albrecht‏Verified account
@SpikeAlbrecht

Coach Beilein wouldn’t let me order Tiramisu for dessert on my official visit because it was beer battered and I was only 19 lol

If this was any other coach I wouldnt believe it but this was a tweet from Spike

@SpikeAlbrecht

Coach Beilein wouldn?t let me order Tiramisu for dessert on my official visit because it was beer battered and I was only 19 lol

Yeah, we're in the best hands when it comes to this stuff.

@SpikeAlbrecht

Coach Beilein wouldn?t let me order Tiramisu for dessert on my official visit because it was beer battered and I was only 19 lol

Wow.

Beer battered tiramisu is a real thing I guess.

Just like Spike's tweet.

Kinda gross.

The beer battered tiramisu, not Spike's tweet.

But I'm remembering I forgot today it's fish sandwich Friday season at McDonald's.

Next week.

Back