Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Maybin Traded to Angels

Last edited:
I'm so glad we have Gose instead of Rajai! Good decision!

I loved Maybin this year! I figured they wouldn't pick up his option anyway so this saved us a million(I think that was his buyout) and gets us back a body that's surely better than someone in our system.

Maybin exercising his 9m option. That's why the trade was made. Just like he said, everyone is available.

IMO getting anything for him was a good move. His salary is essentially 18m because he's only gonna play 80-90 games. Love the dude but he is a walking injury.

I hate to see Maybin go. The team played so much better with him in the lineup. He was hurt a lot. Just hate the idea of a lot more Gose in CF.

Don't like this at all, maybin was a spark and a fan favorite, and they didn't get jack crap in return, absolutely terrible

Booo. And for the love of gawd I don't want to ever seen goose back in center either! He freaking blows

I liked Maybin too but the kid just cannot stay healthy. Only once he has played 147 games in a season . In his ten years he has played 796 games 79.6 per year. Throw out his first two seasons of 32 games and he goes up to 109 per season . Gotta make the move or make him strictly a Platoon player.

Maybin's stats.

http://m.bbref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXmXXmaybica01-bat.shtml&t=all_standard_batting

Last edited:
2016 Maybin

Home .374 BAVG .433 OBP .513 SLG .945 OPS .443 BABIP

Away .240 BAVG .332 OBP .299 SLG .621 OPS .303 BABIP

2015 Away .249 BAVG .295 OBP .351 SLG .646 OPS .298 BABIP
2014 Away .207 BAVG .258 OBP .319 SLG .577 OPS .261 BABIP

Maybin's 2016 stats were a fluke and were built by his unsustainable Comerica stats. Metrically, he is in the lower third for defensive CFers. I am ecstatic that the Tigers aren't paying his 2017 Salary.

Now with that said, Victor Alcantara is complete hot garbage as a minor league starter. There isn't one metric you could point at that would suggest anything positive. But that is as a starter. If the notion is to turn him into a reliever. OK. I see taking a risk.

FYI...barring a trade, I put money that JaCoby Jones is DET's starting CFer in 2017. Right, wrong or indifferent.

I hate to see Maybin go. The team played so much better with him in the lineup. He was hurt a lot. Just hate the idea of a lot more Gose in CF.

Winning % in Games Started (at least 10 games)

J. Saltalamacchia .612 WPCT

C. Maybin .573 WPCT
E. Aybar .571 WPCT
N. Castellanos .565 WPCT
S. Moya .560 WPCT

J. Upton .537 WPCT
J. Iglesias .534 WPCT
M. Cabrera .532 WPCT
T. Collins .531 WPCT
I. Kinsler .530 WPCT
V. Martinez .524 WPCT

J.D. Martinez .512 WPCT

J. McCann .494 WPCT
A. Romine .489 WPCT
M. Aviles .488 WPCT
A. Gose .481 WPCT

C. McGehee .391 WPCT

We will look back on this day as the day the money train ended... Doesn't have to mean the winning has ended but with Al Avila at the helm I really don't trust this team in a rebuild mode I just haven't seen anything from Avila that makes me optimistic

getting something for him vs. just paying the buyout is a good move. Many moves still to come.

Winning % in Games Started (at least 10 games)

J. Saltalamacchia .612 WPCT

C. Maybin .573 WPCT
E. Aybar .571 WPCT
N. Castellanos .565 WPCT
S. Moya .560 WPCT

J. Upton .537 WPCT
J. Iglesias .534 WPCT
M. Cabrera .532 WPCT
T. Collins .531 WPCT
I. Kinsler .530 WPCT
V. Martinez .524 WPCT

J.D. Martinez .512 WPCT

J. McCann .494 WPCT
A. Romine .489 WPCT
M. Aviles .488 WPCT
A. Gose .481 WPCT

C. McGehee .391 WPCT

I think they will try and change him to a relief pitcher right ?

Saves money, but that is all that this trade did. Apparently the Tigers took notice that their division rivals made it to the WS over the past 3 years on the cheap, and believe that they can too...lolz.

DET had the 2nd worst defensive outfield in the majors.

UZR/150

1B = 11th
2B = 4th
SS = 8th

3B = 28th
LF = 24th
CF = 24th
RF = 30th

Having that many positions with subpar defense is hard on the pitchers who are flyball pitchers.

Last 3 years

1B = 22nd
2B = 2nd
SS = 7th
3B = 30th
LF = 13th
CF = 25th
RF = 30th

WAR by Position last 3 years (assumes offense+defense)

C = 25th
1B = 7th
2B = 3rd
SS = 22nd
3B = 29th
LF = 7th
CF = 24th
RF = 13th

DH = 10th

I get wanting to wait on Nick and see if his stick can offset his defense. I don't like it, but I get wanting to have James McCann as the starting catcher, even though he has not "earned" it. What I don't get is paying $9 Mil to a CFer who is at the bottom third defensively, cannot stay healthy and is coming off a "fluke" offensive year.

Back