Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2017-2018 Off Season Thread

Last edited:
I get annoyed every time I see Al Avila's name. He is ruining this franchise. I understand we are selling every big contract except Miggy. But why can't this guy ever come out on top of a trade.

it's hard to determine if you "come out on top" when you are trading away established players for prospects. The goals of these trades are to shed payroll and to re-stock the farm system the best they can.

it's hard to determine if you "come out on top" when you are trading away established players for prospects. The goals of these trades are to shed payroll and to re-stock the farm system the best they can.

I understand it is early but I'm looking at the Maybin trade as an example. We have had a year and I can guarantee that Alcantara won't ever be a viable major leaguer. I know we won't "win" every trade but I would like to see the potential to "win" a majority of these trades. Right now The only trade I believe we have a chance to come out on top is the Avila/Wilson trade.

I understand it is early but I'm looking at the Maybin trade as an example. We have had a year and I can guarantee that Alcantara won't ever be a viable major leaguer. I know we won't "win" every trade but I would like to see the potential to "win" a majority of these trades. Right now The only trade I believe we have a chance to come out on top is the Avila/Wilson trade.

The Tigers weren't going to exercise his $9M player option last off season, so any warm body they got for him was acceptable. fwiw..Maybin sucked last year and the team the Tigers traded him to waived him.

The Tigers weren't going to exercise his $9M player option last off season, so any warm body they got for him was acceptable. fwiw..Maybin sucked last year and the team the Tigers traded him to waived him.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

I realize Maybin was overhyped and his was hardly worth a $1 Mil contract, let alone $9 Mil. But he was coming off a career year. Avila was touting Alcantara at the time of the trade. Alcantara was/is garbage. This still shows how terrible this franchise is in evaluating talent.

That was the perfect time to trade Maybin.. I would have taken a dog biscuit for him. Ironically, that might have been what we got. Since the trade he hasn't been anything note worthy. If we kept him we'd all be bitching about it.

Last edited:
Hindsight is always 20-20.

I realize Maybin was overhyped and his was hardly worth a $1 Mil contract, let alone $9 Mil. But he was coming off a career year. Avila was touting Alcantara at the time of the trade. Alcantara was/is garbage. This still shows how terrible this franchise is in evaluating talent.

of course...but that garbage might be the only offer they got.

And that excuse can be used over and over. And that is exactly what that is.

but it's the truth. I don't think AA or the organization identifies talent very well but as far as what is being offered we as fans never know.

Al Avila is a f'n dope and a pinhead.
The Tigers now have the matt millen clone as GM of the Tigers.

Al Avila is a f'n dope and a pinhead.
The Tigers now have the matt millen clone as GM of the Tigers.

As much as I want Avila gone and realize he's out of his league so to speak.. No one compares to Matt Millen. Complete buffoon. Avila is more a mini Millen.

I was honestly just thinking the same thing this morning! Al Avila is going to end up being like Millen was to the Lions. OMG I think KC is on to something!

Kinsler to the Angels, still waiting to see what we got back

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/angels-to-acquire-ian-kinsler.html

Kinsler did agree to waive his no-trade rights for the Angels, per Chris McCosky of the Detroit News (via Twitter). McCosky suggests that either they and the Tigers are still negotiating a return or another team has upped its offer for Kinsler, leading to the delay. He points to the Mets as a possibility. Notably, Mike Puma of the New York Post tweeted earlier Wednesday that the Mets were ?holding out hope? for a Kinsler deal.

Sweet...a bidding war! ;)

but it's the truth. I don't think AA or the organization identifies talent very well but as far as what is being offered we as fans never know.

So trading Maybin 1 day into the offseason meant we were going to get the best deal out there, right?

8:57pm: Kinsler to the Angels is official, Rosenthal tweets. It?ll be a two-prospect return for the Tigers, per Katie Strang of The Athletic (on Twitter).

Angels it is. How is their farm system? Weak I'm guessing.

Back