Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU pres. Resigns

Complex story
While not an athletic employee, Nasser worked with athletes

From what I read at least the gymnastics coach heard complaints. If it is true that 14 people weee aware of questions it is hard to beluevevhecwasntvaware if concerns

This whole story would make a case study

Exactly. It's complex and there's a lot that isn't known. Booting the leadership to make the protesters happy doesn't uncover who enabled and what parts of the system broke down or never existed.

It's ESPN, so who knows how accurate it is, but MSU can't look any worse.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...-delayed-sending-feds-files-larry-nassar-espn

another good article

OTL: Michigan State secrets extend far beyond Larry Nassar

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...on-michigan-state-goes-larry-nassar-case-espn

Since Dantonio's tenure began in 2007, at least 16 MSU football players have been accused of sexual assault or violence against women, according to interviews and public records obtained by Outside the Lines.

Outside the Lines also has obtained never-before-publicized reports of sexual or violent incidents involving members of Izzo's storied basketball program, including one report made against a former undergraduate student-assistant coach who was allowed to continue coaching after he had been criminally charged for punching a female MSU student in the face at a bar in 2010. A few months later, after the Spartans qualified for the 2010 Final Four, the same assistant coach was accused of sexually assaulting a different female student.

I think MSU screwed up big time by not commissioning something like the Freeh report as Penn State did. I saw an estimate of the total cost of the Sandusky tragedy to Penn State was somewhere around $300 million (was it in the other Nassar thread?). MSU may be facing 3 or 4 times as many victims and the appearance of trying to sweep it under the rug and having an independent investigation forced on them.

another good article

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...on-michigan-state-goes-larry-nassar-case-espn

Since Dantonio's tenure began in 2007, at least 16 MSU football players have been accused of sexual assault or violence against women, according to interviews and public records obtained by Outside the Lines.

Outside the Lines also has obtained never-before-publicized reports of sexual or violent incidents involving members of Izzo's storied basketball program, including one report made against a former undergraduate student-assistant coach who was allowed to continue coaching after he had been criminally charged for punching a female MSU student in the face at a bar in 2010. A few months later, after the Spartans qualified for the 2010 Final Four, the same assistant coach was accused of sexually assaulting a different female student.

In my opinion, the appropriate response to this, as a Michigan Wolverine, is to question what we are doing at Michigan and make sure we have a system in place that would work even if people make bad decisions. Even Harbaugh should be scrutinized. Especially Harbaugh.

This is backwards. Maybe I'm out of the loop with regard to Hollis. Investigate first, force resignations second. They're just placating the protesting crowds while avoiding doing anything that would expose their liability.

Looking at how things have gone there, it's clear they fucked up repeatedly.

if Mary Lou, and Hollis and whoever had hoped to pin this on low-level employees "forgetting" to forward reports to higher ups, and the Federal government (did you read 24's ESPN link? deadspin reported the same thing yesterday)... that ship sailed when this blew up last year

instead it's clear the MSU administration simply hoped Nasser would go down on his own, and everyone would forget about it.

why they could believe this, after what happened to Penn state, the current #metoo movement, and the fact that some of Nasser's victims were high-profile olympic athletes who within the last couple years have been protrayed as National Sweethearts... that's beyond me.

MSU administration has set all time records for incompetence in this scandal.

worst PR ever.

This is... crazy.

I didn't expect this to carry over to basketball and football.

Of course, I feel horrible for all the victims in this. They are the #1 people we need to think about. But it's also pretty crappy to think about some of the students that go there that just wanted to play their sport and are good athletes/students/people and wanted to represent a university they believed in. Because MSU could be running into a multiple year ban of their main programs, which will be a crippling blow to those sports.

Last edited:
(did you read 24's ESPN link? deadspin reported the same thing yesterday)... that ship sailed when this blew up last year

I hadn't, but I'm reading the new Outside the Lines article right now, and I'm completely flipped on Hollis. They should not be letting him retire. He should be booted. They missed their chance to initiate an investigation and appear to care about doing the right thing. They are pretty much taking a page from BYU with respect to trying to dodge repercussions more than trying to fix problems.

another good article

just read that article, and not even the whole thing. holy smokes.

glass houses and all, but according to that article, MSU has a lot more in common with Baylor than just that one bowl game they played in.

It's of course unrealistic to expect 80-90 college age meatheads to behave themselves perfectly, or even non-criminally, but how the coach responds is more critical. Dantonio has been embarassing on this his entire career.

and now those investigating have caught whiffs of the dirty laundry, you can bet they'll keep at it and see what else is out there.

I hadn't, but I'm reading the new Outside the Lines article right now, and I'm completely flipped on Hollis. They should not be letting him retire. He should be booted. They missed their chance to initiate an investigation and appear to care about doing the right thing. They are pretty much taking a page from BYU with respect to trying to dodge repercussions more than trying to fix problems.

you flipped eh? just like that, huh?

right after a post where you talked about "investigating first" before runnin' ya mouth?

you flipped eh? just like that, huh?

right after a post where you talked about "investigating first" before runnin' ya mouth?

Yup. I thought he was resigning without being tied to any wrongdoing beyond being in charge and I was worried people would be content with the President and AD gone and no investigation would happen. Now I think it's clear that investigations are just starting and no resignation will stop them.

The bit about MSU "proactively suing ESPN to defend its withholding of the documents" probably plays a role in ESPN investigating them.

I'm confused by all the Spartans I see saying that all of this was already in the press. If it was all known, then why didn't anybody call out Dantonio when he said they were dealing with their first issue in 11 years?

Yup. I thought he was resigning without being tied to any wrongdoing beyond being in charge and I was worried people would be content with the President and AD gone and no investigation would happen. Now I think it's clear that investigations are just starting and no resignation will stop them.

at this point, I don't think there's much chance of anything stopping the investigation(s) into MSU.

I hesitate to use the phrase "the circling sharks smell blood in the water" lest people assume I only am referring to my fellow lawyers, but it's apt here.

But here not only is the plaintiff's bar of Michigan all geared up, but so are government investigators, both state and federal, law enforcement (again: BOTH), the NCAA, ALL local media, national media, all sports media... this is only going to get worse (for State) before it gets better.

And it isn't even peak couch burning season yet...

Wouldn't believe those for now

From Brendan Quinn:
There are "reports" popping up on these interwebs, I believe from fake or spoof accounts, that Izzo is planning on announcing his own retirement in the coming days. A source close to Izzo says this is "nonsense."

Back