Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Rev Billy Graham pssses at 99...RIP

turok

Not keen on Evangelists, who I consider a threat to our secular form of government, and many are nothing but grifting frauds. "America's Pastor" certainly didn't die intestate, while firmly in the grasp of self-imposed sacrificial poverty, and his son Franklin Graham is even more of a chip off the old Christian cross. no link provided, cuz U can google him yourself for relevant info.

Last edited:
Not keen on Evangelists, who I consider a threat to our secular form of government, and many are nothing but grifting frauds. "America's Pastor" certainly didn't die intestate, while firmly in the grasp of self-imposed sacrificial poverty, and his son Franklin Graham is even more of a chip off the old Christian cross. no link provided, cuz U can google him yourself for relevant info.

I checked my local news site this AM, as I do everyday, and almost every single article on their front page was about him. Crazy.

I guess he wasn't as openly sleazy as most televangelists, but he did apparently counsel Nixon to bomb dykes and levees in North Vietnam, based on information his missionaries in SE Asia collected (Just like Jesus would have done...?)

And yes, for those of us who have a particularly objective worldview, there is something inherently sleazy in what he did for a living.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know enough about Billy Graham to comment on him specifically, but as a religious person, I do think bad religion harms us more than your average person practicing no religion. Very much opposed to my stereotype of televangelists and mega-church leaders. The abusers of religion set that stereotype for the critics, which makes sense.

A quick google search reveals that he had fundamentalist Christians calling him the anti-Christ for his take on Muslims, Buddhists, and non-believers going to heaven. That's a positive.

(Interesting typo, I accidentally typed "maga-churches")

I don't know enough about Billy Graham to comment on him specifically, but as a religious person, I do think bad religion harms us more than your average person practicing no religion. Very much opposed to my stereotype of televangelists and mega-church leaders. The abusers of religion set that stereotype for the critics, which makes sense.

A quick google search reveals that he had fundamentalist Christians calling him the anti-Christ for his take on Muslims, Buddhists, and non-believers going to heaven. That's a positive.

I was taught as a youngster in parochial school, that all of the other Christian denominations were formed as a result of individuals or groups leaving the RCC via unresolved disputes with the tenents of Vatican/Pope and forming their own church.

I don't recall being taught that adhering to any other faith doomed those believers to spending eternity in Hell, but maybe Purgatory-Limbo for the other Christian denominations whose followers either intentionally or obliviously remained that way and/or refused to join RCism.

Although I had already become agnostic by the mid-70s, I still felt angry and ashamed when it was revealed in the 90s, that the RC hierarchy had loong been denying and hiding their pedo-priests. While I did not personally experience any assaults by the priests in my parish, I always felt uncomfortable when near our longtime Monsignor, and still have an old B&W photo that my late father had taken of him and I in the church parking lot, shortly after I had made my First Communion. I had a pained look on my face, since I recall that he had roughly and tightly gripped his arm around my shoulder, and I couldn't wait for him to let go and for me to quickly get far away from him.

Decades later, I joined a local Delphi group comprised of those of my peers, who had grown up in the same neck of the NE Detroit hoods, and learned from some who had attended the same old parochical school-parish, that I wasn't the only one who considered that Monsignor to be a little too squeezable friendly, going as far as organizing "shirts vs skins" pickup basketball games on weekends in the grade school gymnasium.

How are people not practicing religion harming anyone??

Last edited:
How are people not practicing religion harming anyone??

I think we've had these kinds of discussions here before. They aren't inherently. Haven't I said enough nice things about atheists to not get nit picked with this? My point was that being religious doesn't automatically make you better than a non-religious person, very much the opposite sometimes.

Last edited:
You and I have not had these discussions before. Perhaps you did with others. I havent read through too many threads over in this section. I was just looking for clarification on your statement. Far too many think that being religious equates to being a good person. As you stated, and as Ive witnessed many times, "very much the opposite sometimes". As for saying nice things about atheists, that seems odd to me. We merely dont believe in the existence of any gods. Merely being an atheist should draw any conclusions. Good people who happen to be atheists? Sure.

FoxNews reporting that Billy Graham is lying in-state at the US Capital today, and all former presidents, as well as the current president will attend his funeral.

okay... whatever. I just hope dumbass religious Conservatives remember this the next time they want to whine and claim Christianity is under attack in this country.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hope dumbass religious Conservatives remember this the next time they want to whine and claim Christianity is under attack in this country.

So frustrating that xtians keep saying they are under attack, when in reality people just want equality and the xtian privilege to go away.

Back