Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sexual assault accusation coincidence

redandguilty

7-22 Hailhail reveals personal and new-to-me information regarding the assault.

8-8 Washtenaw Watchdogs puts up the post.

8-17 Douglas2k responds to Hailhail asking for more info and re-starting the conversation

8-20ish Other blogs start talking about the story.

What are the odds that we'd start talking about a 3 year old story just before it resurfaced elsewhere, completely independent of our conversation? It looks like it's just a coincidence, but...weird.

I don't know Red, there are some posters who seem VERY emotionally tied to this Gibbons story ...this story from out of nowhere and with all these new "details" that now everyone seems to have known about and/or have an opinion about.

I'm not clear on the "intimidating the accuser" angle ...sounds like someone with some unfortunate personal experience involving "assault" and this case/story strikes a nerve.

Sometimes there is "intimidation" like the girl outside Vail who received death threats from Kobe/Lakers fans once her real name and info was leaked (somehow, but who would do such a thing???) but who was trying to proceed with criminal charges and someone who doesn't want to pursue the charges and makes that decision him/herself.

I just don't understand why this is now news 3 years later and a week away from cfb opening weekend. I know our justice system has it's flaws, but csc is a very serious accusation, football player or not. If there were as many injustices as some here have suggested, AA police dept needs to be investigated. Something is missing from this story thats not being mentioned to us.

I just don't understand why this is now news 3 years later and a week away from cfb opening weekend.....

Agreed. And why suddenly, 3 years later, everybody seems to be an expert on what happened some random college night that nobody but the people involved were part of.

I just don't understand why this is now news 3 years later and a week away from cfb opening weekend. I know our justice system has it's flaws, but csc is a very serious accusation, football player or not. If there were as many injustices as some here have suggested, AA police dept needs to be investigated. Something is missing from this story thats not being mentioned to us.

I'd say the focus should be the University more than the police. The police can't do as much if the accuser won't press charges, but this guy is saying she did want to go through the University's process.

I've seen the point raised elsewhere that the Josh Furman case illustrates that the problem isn't the police not being willing to prosecute football players since they did there without much of a case (he refused to plea bargain, went to trial, and was found innocent on all counts.)

I went to a Sigma Kappa Rock n' Bowl date party one time when I was a Junior. This short, sort of pudgy Sigma Kappa pledge got so wasted on the bus and at the Rock n' Bowl that she started blowing her date on the bus ride home. And she wouldn't stop ...the other "sisters" were literally pulling her off the guy and yelling at him to put his knob away.

Following this "embarassing event" the Sigma Kappas decided to kick her out of the pledge class but the chick turned around and said he had assaulted her and that she hadn't done anything.

The problem with her story were the 20-something eye witnesses who knew that nothing of the sort had happened. But she still played that card and had this dude been on the football team or basketball team or whatever, and in the context of today's social media ....I can see how that stupid story from twenty years ago might wind up in the "headlines."

I'd say the focus should be the University more than the police. The police can't do as much if the accuser won't press charges, but this guy is saying she did want to go through the University's process.

I've seen the point raised elsewhere that the Josh Furman case illustrates that the problem isn't the police not being willing to prosecute football players since they did there without much of a case (he refused to plea bargain, went to trial, and was found innocent on all counts.)

Youre right, I just can't believe a major University would risk the negative publicity involved in a case like this, just to look the other way. I haven't read everything that is being accused, but it sounds like the University decided that if criminal charges were dropped, then case closed.

7-22 Hailhail reveals personal and new-to-me information regarding the assault.

8-8 Washtenaw Watchdogs puts up the post.

8-17 Douglas2k responds to Hailhail asking for more info and re-starting the conversation

8-20ish Other blogs start talking about the story.

What are the odds that we'd start talking about a 3 year old story just before it resurfaced elsewhere, completely independent of our conversation? It looks like it's just a coincidence, but...weird.

When I originally posted I was almost under the impression that everyone here (or at least those that have been around for some time), would know what I was referencing. The responses reminded me that, oh yeah, this wasn't a huge story back then. It's just something my friends and I still talk about occasionally still (ie every time we watch Michigan football together and Gibbons kicks).

A lot of what Douglas has been posting is news to me, and it's pretty disheartening to hear his interpretation of events.

I went to a Sigma Kappa Rock n' Bowl date party one time when I was a Junior. This short, sort of pudgy Sigma Kappa pledge got so wasted on the bus and at the Rock n' Bowl that she started blowing her date on the bus ride home. And she wouldn't stop ...the other "sisters" were literally pulling her off the guy and yelling at him to put his knob away.

Following this "embarassing event" the Sigma Kappas decided to kick her out of the pledge class but the chick turned around and said he had assaulted her and that she hadn't done anything.

The problem with her story were the 20-something eye witnesses who knew that nothing of the sort had happened. But she still played that card and had this dude been on the football team or basketball team or whatever, and in the context of today's social media ....I can see how that stupid story from twenty years ago might wind up in the "headlines."

Exactly. I used one of my own examples in the other thread. He said she said.

this

plus it seems to be only this "blog" that got it- all news references link to this same link

notice the names in the comments there

When I originally posted I was almost under the impression that everyone here (or at least those that have been around for some time), would know what I was referencing. The responses reminded me that, oh yeah, this wasn't a huge story back then. It's just something my friends and I still talk about occasionally still (ie every time we watch Michigan football together and Gibbons kicks).

A lot of what Douglas has been posting is news to me, and it's pretty disheartening to hear his interpretation of events.

One more thing I'm not entirely clear on, is your 1st hand knowledge just the Gibbons is the guy the case was all about or was there more to it than that?

One more thing I'm not entirely clear on, is your 1st hand knowledge just the Gibbons is the guy the case was all about or was there more to it than that?

The only other "direct knowledge" I have is that the University moved him out of West Quad almost immediately -- fun fact: he was roommates with that big-time corner recruit Justin Turner (I think that was his name) until he transferred -- and what my friends said he "admitted" to them regarding the accusations.

I summarized pretty much everything I know about this in the other thread.

The only other "direct knowledge" I have is that the University moved him out of West Quad almost immediately -- fun fact: he was roommates with that big-time corner recruit Justin Turner (I think that was his name) until he transferred -- and what my friends said he "admitted" to them regarding the accusations.

so you have hearsay going for you. Super!

I guess I shouldn't have said 1st hand. Non-web based knowledge. If he told your friends it was consentual, then it really doesn't add to the police report, it just confirms that those police reports are about him.

I guess I shouldn't have said 1st hand. Non-web based knowledge. If he told your friends it was consentual, then it really doesn't add to the police report, it just confirms that those police reports are about him.

I guess I should clarify: according to them (and I'll reiterate, these are three of my best friends, guys I've known for years, who I went on to live with for my junior and senior years -- so people I trust quite a bit), Gibbons admitted some wrongdoing.

I guess I should clarify: according to them (and I'll reiterate, these are three of my best friends, guys I've known for years, who I went on to live with for my junior and senior years -- so people I trust quite a bit), Gibbons admitted some wrongdoing.

My guess is his admission has something to do with how drunk she was.

My guess is his admission has something to do with how drunk she was.

You're right, I fully understand his admission could have involved a wide-range of things short of "I raped her." He's not THAT dumb to ever admit that, I'd hope (though the kid is an unbelievable moron independent of all this). Whatever he said, the takeaway for my friends was/is "he raped her."

Back