Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU ranked hoops ranked #2

Spartan23MSU

MSU hoops ranked #2

Duke is #1 and we face each other 2nd game of the year. They have our number so im not expecting much. I thought we would be top #10, #2 sounds pretty lofty. The league must be a little watered down this year. A nice surprise nonetheless.

Last edited:
Duke is #1 and we face each other 2nd game of the year. They have our number so im not expecting much. I thought we would be top #10, #2 sounds pretty lofty. The league must be a little watered down this year. A nice surprise nonetheless.

I don't think we're overrated at all. we brought in a top 3 recruiting class in 2016 and everyone came back, which is pretty much unheard of. We have a ton of size and depth and one of the best coaches in the country.

I think top 5 sounds about right, based not just on Bridges returning and Jackson coming in, but on the other bigs coming back healthy to turn a huge weakness last year into a strength. Still the team did lose 15 games and only gain a 9 seed in the tournament so it's not like some stuff doesn't need to happen for those expectations to be met. For it to become reality, Jackson has to contribute in a big way (which as we've seen is not always a given with freshmen under Izzo). Winston needs to make the strides that people expect and fully take over the PG spot and some guys on the wing need to emerge, Langford being the most likely candidate with McQuaid also needing to find more consistency.

Overrated? Would have been clear #1 had Marvin Bagley Jr. not reclassified to this class and chose Duke.

This is the most talented and deep Big Ten team in over a decade.

I like the talent and depth (particularly up front), and Izzo is a great coach (although, he'd probably have had Davis for at least another year and not had so many front court problems last year if he managed talent differently). I don't really care about the ranking right now and don't see the point in trying to figure out if it's right or wrong. The one thing I don't like about the ranking is the expectations and the potential for bloated heads. If Izzo does his job and we stay healthy, that shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
I think top 5 sounds about right, based not just on Bridges returning and Jackson coming in, but on the other bigs coming back healthy to turn a huge weakness last year into a strength. Still the team did lose 15 games and only gain a 9 seed in the tournament so it's not like some stuff doesn't need to happen for those expectations to be met. For it to become reality, Jackson has to contribute in a big way (which as we've seen is not always a given with freshmen under Izzo). Winston needs to make the strides that people expect and fully take over the PG spot and some guys on the wing need to emerge, Langford being the most likely candidate with McQuaid also needing to find more consistency.

exactly

PG
Winston-25 mins
Tum-15 mins

SG
Langford-25 mins
McQuaid-15 mins

SF
Bridges-32 mins
Ahrens-8 mins

PF/C
Jackson-25 mins
Ward-25 mins
Schilling-10 mins
Carter-10 mins
Goins-10 mins

Does Tillman redshirt?

Last edited:
PG
Winston-25 mins
Tum-15 mins

SG
Langford-25 mins
McQuaid-15 mins

SF
Bridges-32 mins
Ahrens-8 mins

PF/C
Jackson-25 mins
Ward-25 mins
Schilling-10 mins
Carter-10 mins
Goins-10 mins

Does Tillman redshirt?

My guess is no because we don't know how much Carter is going to able to give them, especially early. Also as crowded as that would make the front court, it's possible that Jackson or Goins could move over and play a few minutes at the 3 (and it's quite possible in a huge lineup that Bridges could play a little 2). I also think you're overestimating the minutes Jackson and Ward will get by a few (and underestimating for Schilling).

Last edited:
My guess is no because we don't know how much Carter is going to able to give them, especially early. Also as crowded as that would make the front court, it's possible that Jackson or Goins could move over and play a few minutes at the 3 (and it's quite possible in a huge lineup that Bridges could play a little 2). I also think you're overestimating the minutes Jackson and Ward will get by a few (and underestimating for Schilling).

I wouldn't expect much if anything out of Carter unfortunately, still not practicing at 100%. I'd be shocked if Tillman redshirts, it's just not something we do for healthy players. I might shift some of Goins minutes down and put him at the 3, maybe 8-9 minutes between him and Aherns. A lot of those guys may get minutes early on but Izzo will narrow that group, maybe vary it based on opponent. We won't be able to play 12 guys, hopefully we get down to 9 or 10.

I wouldn't expect much if anything out of Carter unfortunately, still not practicing at 100%. I'd be shocked if Tillman redshirts, it's just not something we do for healthy players. I might shift some of Goins minutes down and put him at the 3, maybe 8-9 minutes between him and Aherns. A lot of those guys may get minutes early on but Izzo will narrow that group, maybe vary it based on opponent. We won't be able to play 12 guys, hopefully we get down to 9 or 10.

I could see Goins playing some 3 especially since I've seen that he apparently has extended his shooting range. But as far as getting out and guarding perimeters guys and then maybe having to handle the ball a bit more, not sure about that.

That is one thing about the roster. Possibly too many bodies up front now (if there is such a thing). On the perimeter they are ok right now, but if they were to suddenly have an injury or two there (and recent history with this program suggests that is just waiting to happen) and there could be a little bit of a problem.

I'm still unsure why we brought Carter back for another year. That scholarship would've been better off going to a 5th year transfer wing or combo guard. There are really only 4 players(Tum,Winston,McQuaid,Langford) that I'd feel comfortable handling the ball. We lose 1 of those 4 it will be dicey. Lose 2 of those 4 for any stretch and it could get ugly.

I'm still unsure why we brought Carter back for another year. That scholarship would've been better off going to a 5th year transfer wing or combo guard. There are really only 4 players(Tum,Winston,McQuaid,Langford) that I'd feel comfortable handling the ball. We lose 1 of those 4 it will be dicey. Lose 2 of those 4 for any stretch and it could get ugly.

Right or wrong it's because Izzo loved his attitude last year after he hurt himself, he did everything he could to help Nick Ward prepare for opponents, he was a total team player for a school he never played a game for. If he wasn't granted eligibility he'd have stayed on as a GA. We still have one open scholarship and I'm sure Izzo expected 2 before Miles announced.

The thing this team is missing is a real lock down defender at the wing, maybe someone will develop into that, McQuaid or Miles, but that's where Mark Smith or someone else would have been a good fit. Another guard for this year would have been big because of how much we could potentially lose after this season. I would have liked to have Smith or Bowen (at least at the time) because we'd have someone with some experience for 18-19

Right or wrong it's because Izzo loved his attitude last year after he hurt himself, he did everything he could to help Nick Ward prepare for opponents, he was a total team player for a school he never played a game for. If he wasn't granted eligibility he'd have stayed on as a GA. We still have one open scholarship and I'm sure Izzo expected 2 before Miles announced.

The thing this team is missing is a real lock down defender at the wing, maybe someone will develop into that, McQuaid or Miles, but that's where Mark Smith or someone else would have been a good fit. Another guard for this year would have been big because of how much we could potentially lose after this season. I would have liked to have Smith or Bowen (at least at the time) because we'd have someone with some experience for 18-19

Agree with this, perimeter defense is the only potential issue with this team. McQuaid was a plus perimeter defender last year and has had his 1st healthy off season to improve. Langford is supposed to be a great on the ball defender, but his injury last year really hampered him. People watching practice have been saying Langford looks like a totally different athlete now that he's healthy, quicker and really smooth running and jumping.

Nairn is a very good on the ball defender, you hope Winston has improved a lot.

Jackson actually showed he's comfortable guarding smaller quicker players on the perimeter at high school all star games. So I think we have the potential to be really good on the ball. Bridges at the 3 is going to be a severe mismatch for any small forward in the country, he will score at will.

I wouldnt doubt if Izzo gave Nairn 25 minutes a game this year regardless of turnovers or production :)

Agree with this, perimeter defense is the only potential issue with this team. McQuaid was a plus perimeter defender last year and has had his 1st healthy off season to improve. Langford is supposed to be a great on the ball defender, but his injury last year really hampered him. People watching practice have been saying Langford looks like a totally different athlete now that he's healthy, quicker and really smooth running and jumping.

Jackson actually showed he's comfortable guarding smaller quicker players on the perimeter at high school all star games. So I think we have the potential to be really good on the ball. Bridges at the 3 is going to be a severe mismatch for any small forward in the country, he will score at will.[/QUOTE]

I actually think in this day and age he can be just as effective as a 4 in the college game. He has an athletic advantage over any other 4's and is strong enough to be able to hang defensively and on the boards. At the 3 he will more often be playing against guys that are essentially guards. Getting out and guarding them will take a little adjustment, and offensively out there he will need to be able to go off the dribble more often, which would mean showing improved handles (which would also greatly help his NBA stock). Sure he can probably take them all down low, in which case he needs enough shooters around him (including some good shooting stretch 4's). Also teams can employ zone defenses to combat that, something I suspect we'll see a lot of next year.

Jackson actually showed he's comfortable guarding smaller quicker players on the perimeter at high school all star games. So I think we have the potential to be really good on the ball. Bridges at the 3 is going to be a severe mismatch for any small forward in the country, he will score at will.[/QUOTE]

I actually think in this day and age he can be just as effective as a 4 in the college game. He has an athletic advantage over any other 4's and is strong enough to be able to hang defensively and on the boards. At the 3 he will more often be playing against guys that are essentially guards. Getting out and guarding them will take a little adjustment, and offensively out there he will need to be able to go off the dribble more often, which would mean showing improved handles (which would also greatly help his NBA stock). Sure he can probably take them all down low, in which case he needs enough shooters around him (including some good shooting stretch 4's). Also teams can employ zone defenses to combat that, something I suspect we'll see a lot of next year.

Bridges said he played at 240 lbs last season and that he's now 225 lbs. As explosive as he was as a freshman, the extra weight made him less of a leaper than he was in high school. I expect to see the leaner Bridges dunking a lot more this season. He's really worked hard on his ball handling too. He shot almost 40% from 3 last season, so he can help bust the zone. McQuaid has to get his shot back, kid's 3 point shooting could be a key to the season.

Jackson actually showed he's comfortable guarding smaller quicker players on the perimeter at high school all star games. So I think we have the potential to be really good on the ball. Bridges at the 3 is going to be a severe mismatch for any small forward in the country, he will score at will.

A key to how far this team goes is the split between Tum and Winston. We can be an excellent offensive team with Winston on the floor, he just needs to be functional. That being said, Tum being a functional offensive player is just as important, if one guy improves greatly in his deficiency we'll be a much better basketball team. There were a lot of situations with Winston on the floor last year where the offensive player was going to blow by him or Winston would be forced to commit a foul, that just can't happen. Winston isn't that good of an athlete, hopefully that improves. Of course with Tum on the floor it's 4 vs 5 on the offensive end.

MSU beat Ferris in a tight exhibition game last night. A couple notes:

Bridges took a nasty spill that opened a cut on his head that required stitches to close, he returned though. He had 19 points.

Jaren Jackson had 14 points 8 boards and 8 blocks and looked like a phenom. His length is freakish and he is going to be a monster this season. The Big Ten hasn't had a player quite like him ever that I remember.

Cassius Winston got hot and scored 26 points, his on the ball defense was atrocious though.

Josh Langford was ice cold, 0-12 shooting.

Watched the replay today, not particularly concerned about the score but there are a few areas of concern. Winston was horrible on defense, Tum was non existent on offense as well, something has to give there. It was one game but if Tum was much improved I'd think he'd take more than 3 shots. We need either Winston to be functional on defense or Tum to be functional on offense.

Jackson is going to be a game changer on defense, 8 blocks, we haven't had that kind of rim protection in years. Also, he's known for his outside shot but he wasn't jacking 3's at all, just taking what the game gives him. he's polished, not a project at all.

lots of screws to tighten but we've seen this before. just concerned about PG play, we'll go as far as they can take us.

Back