Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

i'm not sure that there's room for Evans and Mcdowell, especially with TJ Harrell looking more likely each day. we could take a scholarship from a walk on but i don't know what our policy is on that

Evans is off the table, he recommitted to Wisky...for the 3rd time.

We would make room for McDowell regardless. Cage is probably going to commit to us this weekend as another DT. Harrell is a pleasant surprise. I think we finish with McDowell, Cage, and either Harrell or Crawley (WR from Texas).

Evans is off the table, he recommitted to Wisky...for the 3rd time.

We would make room for McDowell regardless. Cage is probably going to commit to us this weekend as another DT. Harrell is a pleasant surprise. I think we finish with McDowell, Cage, and either Harrell or Crawley (WR from Texas).

i meant Cage and Mcdowell, sorry. it's crazy to think that we have to crunch numbers for plan A guys but that's where we are right now. I don't think we have any transfers, at least none are public yet. Fowler not coming back may have helped us, his skill set isn't replaceable and we could use the scholarship. I don't know if they ask Pendleton or Pepper to give theirs up, not sure if that is something that MD would do. I know that Izzo told Bograkos and Thornton that they would be year to year, they stayed on scholarship but I'm not sure what the policy is.

Madre London got a huge bump in the final recruiting rankings. Doesn't make him one bit better of a player, but it's ncie to see this kid recognized. He was the dominant back at the Semper Fi All American game, guess that was enough to make Rivals realized they completely whiffed on him.

Went from a mid 3 star to a 4 star and #175 overall. He and Jeff Jones were the top 2 RBs that we evaluated. London was a plan A recruit.

Madre London got a huge bump in the final recruiting rankings. Doesn't make him one bit better of a player, but it's ncie to see this kid recognized. He was the dominant back at the Semper Fi All American game, guess that was enough to make Rivals realized they completely whiffed on him.

Went from a mid 3 star to a 4 star and #175 overall. He and Jeff Jones were the top 2 RBs that we evaluated. London was a plan A recruit.

I think some of that is the MD factor, Bell was 2 star, Langford 2 star. these analysts don't want to miss on a kid when MD turns out NFL caliber RB's. they don't want to look stupid down the road

Last edited:
I think some of that is the MD factor, Bell was 2 star, Langford 2 star. these analysts don't want to miss on a kid when MD turns out NFL caliber RB's. they don't want to look stupid down the road

There's probably some of that going on, but this kid averaged like 9 yards a carry this year for one of the top high school programs in the country. Then he was a beast at the All American game he played in. No idea why it took so long, but he looked awful good on film well before he committed to us.

We're getting a lot of Plan A recruits this cycle, that's what I care about, that reflects what our staff thinks not what the recruiting geeks think about players we are getting. Allen, Smith Jr., Drake, Sokol, London, Owens, Slade, Copeland, Nicholson, Ginacakos, and even Sweat, these are all Plan A guys, guys that our staff were drooling over. That fact makes them likely to be among the best recruits in the country, not whether or not the schmucks at Rivals think they look very starry or not.

Even a blue chip guy like McDowell, I am excited about him because of how much our staff apparently likes him and how a big and athletic D end can thrive in the system we run rather than that he might have 5 stars next to his name.

We are cleaning up in recruiting this year, doesn't matter if Rivals thinks we are or not.

There's probably some of that going on, but this kid averaged like 9 yards a carry this year for one of the top high school programs in the country. Then he was a beast at the All American game he played in. No idea why it took so long, but he looked awful good on film well before he committed to us.

We're getting a lot of Plan A recruits this cycle, that's what I care about, that reflects what our staff thinks not what the recruiting geeks think about players we are getting. Allen, Smith Jr., Drake, Sokol, London, Owens, Slade, Copeland, Nicholson, Ginacakos, and even Sweat, these are all Plan A guys, guys that our staff were drooling over. That fact makes them likely to be among the best recruits in the country, not whether or not the schmucks at Rivals think they look very starry or not.

Even a blue chip guy like McDowell, I am excited about him because of how much our staff apparently likes him and how a big and athletic D end can thrive in the system we run rather than that he might have 5 stars next to his name.

We are cleaning up in recruiting this year, doesn't matter if Rivals thinks we are or not.

not every guy we end up with is Plan A, Drake Harris was plan A, so was Damon Webb. we are doing well though, I'm excited to see some of these guys play next year but a red shirt is nice too. Mcdowell may play if we get him but he'll be rotating with Rush, Calhoun and Demetrius Cooper (beast)

not every guy we end up with is Plan A, Drake Harris was plan A, so was Damon Webb. we are doing well though, I'm excited to see some of these guys play next year but a red shirt is nice too. Mcdowell may play if we get him but he'll be rotating with Rush, Calhoun and Demetrius Cooper (beast)

Stay tuned for some big news on the recruiting front tonight or tomorrow. Huge news, and the rumors are flying. Some speculation that either Damon Webb is flipping to MSU, or maybe Brian Cole committed. Big news coming up.

Stay tuned for some big news on the recruiting front tonight or tomorrow. Huge news, and the rumors are flying. Some speculation that either Damon Webb is flipping to MSU, or maybe Brian Cole committed. Big news coming up.

Damon Webb switching green would be awesome, and would make his birthday cake even more memorable.

BY4rEiUCUAAljvf.jpg:large

Malik McDowell has canceled his visit to LSU this weekend and instead will take an official visit to MSU with his parents. He's visited MSU ten or so times, but they were not official visits.

He has a visit scheduled to OSU next weekend, but it's likely he cancels that and visits LSU next week instead. Or there is some speculation that he won't visit anyone next weekend.

The other Big news I was referring to is still not out. Still rumors abour a Cass Tech recruit, maybe Michael Webber commits, maybe Josh Alabi. Still think it could be Brian Cole. Not sure. Good news all around though.

Last edited:
According to Rico Beard Webb is solid OSU, his family said something like if blackwell was in the mix earlier then it might have changed things. that kind of talk makes you wonder but I think there's no chance he flips.

Cage, Mcdowell, Harrell, 2 of the 3 would be awesome

also, with the college gameday crowd and Michigan game this weekend, it could be a special weekend for recruiting

According to Rico Beard Webb is solid OSU, his family said something like if blackwell was in the mix earlier then it might have changed things. that kind of talk makes you wonder but I think there's no chance he flips.

Cage, Mcdowell, Harrell, 2 of the 3 would be awesome

I'd put our chances at this:
McDowell 90%
Cage an Harrell 60%

I'd put our chances at this:
McDowell 90%
Cage an Harrell 60%

11 warriors said that OSU is likely out, which isn't news. they said it's down to FSU and MSU, kind of a strange competition.

11 warriors said that OSU is likely out, which isn't news. they said it's down to FSU and MSU, kind of a strange competition.

No surprise, McDowell actually said, "I guess I am taking Ohio State off my list." a couple days ago.

Malik had a good visit to FSU, they are a threat, but he got back to Michigan and said what he said about MSU, basically the 1st time he has talked that openly about his favorite in several months.

Unless LSU hits a homerun, it is a 2 school race in FSU and MSU with him clearly favoring the good guys. He's said all along he wants to play football close to home and he's clearly stated he likes the cold weather.

He'd be a good pickup, no one reruit makes a class, but he's definitely a potentially good player. If he wants to work hard and listens to good coaching he has a good chance to be a very good player in college.

No surprise, McDowell actually said, "I guess I am taking Ohio State off my list." a couple days ago.

Malik had a good visit to FSU, they are a threat, but he got back to Michigan and said what he said about MSU, basically the 1st time he has talked that openly about his favorite in several months.

Unless LSU hits a homerun, it is a 2 school race in FSU and MSU with him clearly favoring the good guys. He's said all along he wants to play football close to home and he's clearly stated he likes the cold weather.

He'd be a good pickup, no one reruit makes a class, but he's definitely a potentially good player. If he wants to work hard and listens to good coaching he has a good chance to be a very good player in college.

I don't think he will make a big impact next year but you never know, if we had another freakish DE to go along with Shlique we could really be something special. teams were starting to double calhoun with a tight end on passing downs, if you have one guy like that and another big time pass rusher on the other end you can dominate. it might be Mcdowell and Cooper in a year or two

I don't think he will make a big impact next year but you never know, if we had another freakish DE to go along with Shlique we could really be something special. teams were starting to double calhoun with a tight end on passing downs, if you have one guy like that and another big time pass rusher on the other end you can dominate. it might be Mcdowell and Cooper in a year or two

I look for Lawrence Thomas to make a big impact in 2014. Demetrius Cooper is reportedly the best athlete on the team and was incredible on the scout team an they were very close to taking his redshirt off. McDowell will probably redshirt IMO.

I look for Lawrence Thomas to make a big impact in 2014. Demetrius Cooper is reportedly the best athlete on the team and was incredible on the scout team an they were very close to taking his redshirt off. McDowell will probably redshirt IMO.

you don't see a lot of 5 star redshirts though, other than Thomas.

I remember seeing cooper during the celebration after the big ten title game, he's massive, just jacked. we keep rolling out these ready to dominate red-shirted underclassmen.

Jayru Campbell will not be playing football for Michigan State or any other D1 school. His scholarship will be pulled in the coming days. What a shame, the young man threw it all away. There's a video of him nearly killing a security guard at his high school by body slamming him on his head.

Last edited:
Jayru Campbell will not be playing football for Michigan State or any other D1 school. His scholarship will be pulled in the coming days. What a shame, the young man threw it all away. There's a video of him nearly killing a security guard at his high school by body slamming him on his head.

Good thing Sparty won this recruiting battle over Michigan even though Michigan never offered. Seemed like a big deal to some on this board at the time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JKYkekqsso[/youtube]

It's hard to argue with the champions of recruiting. Michigan is going to be great for a while with that top 5 class next year, Hand and Peppers, that might end up being the best defense of all time. in 2015 you guys have Harris and campbell to go along with those offensive studs Green and Morris.

you guys are going to be really good, you don't need to offer guys like cambpell with your talent and coaching

Back